• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's 50 Best ODI Cricketers of all time - The Countdown (2017 Version)

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This actually points to a different problem imo. Can't really remember a huge Murali contribution in an important ODI. Perhaps some posters could make a short list.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Think he was important in the 96 WC KO games.. And 2011 and 2007 as well, perhaps, except the finals? Bowling average of less than 20 in world cups, but I am sure there was some minnow bashing involved there.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This actually points to a different problem imo. Can't really remember a huge Murali contribution in an important ODI. Perhaps some posters could make a short list.
Probably the 07 wc semifinal and the match against us in the group stage where he made sehwag and Dhoni look really stupid.

harsh.ag

Jeez Nuf, forget what hb is saying, but you can't just assume an OS article to be very good without having read it.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
It's easy to get good contribution in important games when you play lot of important games which a Sri Lankan player doesn't get to as much. You could even ask that question of Tendulkar and many do tbh. We don't have a notion of important games when it comes to tests. I don't know if it's fair to have that for ODIs. Still played a role in 2007 world cup semi. Has taken more wickets than anyone at >1.5 wickets a match and an economy of under 4 rpo even when he played till 2011. Belongs in argument for greatest ODI bowler and wins it for mine.

stephen

The record books don't say Murali chucked, therefore he didn't chuck. Same as Tyson really.

The reason I don't rate Murali so highly as others has more to do with the fact that he was a liability in the field and with the bat and he never performed against Australia. Players who only have one string to their bow need to be held to a higher standard. Murali was a liability for his team in 90/100 overs each ODI.

I'd rate Murali as the third choice spinner for an AT ODI side behind Warne and Saqlain. Somewhere around the 30 mark in a list like this.

Honestly I believe that fielding is the most underrated skill in the game, particularly in ODIs.

Saving a single 4 is cutting the runs on the shot down by 25%-75%, which is massive when you think about it.

Bijed

International Regular
The record books don't say Murali chucked, therefore he didn't chuck. Same as Tyson really.

The reason I don't rate Murali so highly as others has more to do with the fact that he was a liability in the field and with the bat and he never performed against Australia. Players who only have one string to their bow need to be held to a higher standard. Murali was a liability for his team in 90/100 overs each ODI.

I'd rate Murali as the third choice spinner for an AT ODI side behind Warne and Saqlain. Somewhere around the 30 mark in a list like this.

Honestly I believe that fielding is the most underrated skill in the game, particularly in ODIs.

Saving a single 4 is cutting the runs on the shot down by 25%-75%, which is massive when you think about it.
I agree with the general gist of this and fully agree re the fielding, but it seems a little unfair to say he was a liability for 50 overs of his team's batting innings given that unless they'd had a shocker anyway, his batting wouldn't be called on for anywhere near 50 overs

mr_mister

I was just making a joke hb. I think it was Bedi who once claimed Murali had 800 test run outs during a rant about him. It's obviously ridiculous if for the nothing else the fact that Muralis wickets weren't all bowled

Either way it's still funny so chill

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!

The reason I don't rate Murali so highly as others has more to do with the fact that he was a liability in the field and with the bat and he never performed against Australia. Players who only have one string to their bow need to be held to a higher standard. Murali was a liability for his team in 90/100 overs each ODI..
I agree with the general gist of this and fully agree re the fielding, but it seems a little unfair to say he was a liability for 50 overs of his team's batting innings given that unless they'd had a shocker anyway, his batting wouldn't be called on for anywhere near 50 overs
I don't mean to be rude but you guys either have no clue about his fielding, or you're judging him by his later years. He was genuinely very good in the field for the first half of his career. The likes of him, Jayasuriya (who had a ridiculously good arm ), Chandana, Mahanama being fantastic fielders was a huge part of SL's ODI success in the 90s.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
In a bid to change the topic a little here is Cricket Web's sixth best.

6 MS Dhoni
Total Points: 448
Highest Pick: 2nd
2011 Ranking: 24th

MS Dhoni has forged a remarkable ODI career as a wicketkeeper, a batsman and a captain. The early years were all about his freakish ability to finish an innings with fireworks and his six-hitting as well as his trademark 'helicopter' shot. In 255 innings Dhoni averages a brilliant 51.32 and along the way he has racked up ten centuries. He has also taken a number of classic catches, and has a superb resume as a captain. A 2011 World Cup title, Dhoni made a majestic 91 not out in the final, was the crowning glory.

Main Memory: Dhoni's man of the match performance in the 2011 World Cup Final.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The top 50 so far:
50 Greg Chappell
49 Javed Miandad
48 Aravinda de Silva
47 Andy Roberts
46 Chris Gayle
45 Jonty Rhodes
44 Ian Harvey
43 Gordon Greenidge
42 Shane Bond
41 Jacques Kallis
40 Saeed Anwar
39 Hashim Amla
38 Brett Lee
37 Kumar Sangakkara
36 Dennis Lillee
35 Nathan Bracken
34 Mark Waugh
33 Malcolm Marshall
32 Michael Holding
31 Zaheer Abbas
30 Andrew Symonds
29 Shane Watson
28 Imran Khan
27 Allan Donald
26 Waqar Younis
25 Mitchell Starc
24 Michael Hussey
23 Dean Jones
22 Richard Hadlee
21 Andrew Flintoff
20 Saqlain Mushtaq
19 Shane Warne
18 Brian Lara
17 Curtly Ambrose
16 Lance Klusener
15 Kapil Dev
14 Shaun Pollock
13 Sanath Jayasuriya
12 Ricky Ponting
11 Virat Kohli
10 Adam Gilchrist
09 Muttiah Muralitharan
08 Michael Bevan
07 AB de Villiers
06 MS Dhoni

Gob

International Coach

Murali was no Jonty Rhodes but he was certainly no way near as bad as you make him out to be here. Easily the greatest one day spinner imo