• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's 50 Best ODI Cricketers of all time - The Countdown (2017 Version)

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
8 Michael Bevan
Total Points: 419
Highest Pick: 1st
2011 Ranking: 6th

Michael Bevan turned a run chase into an art form. Composed, classy and always confident, the left-hander's presence in the middle of a tense ODI eased the collective nerves of a nation. The key to his success was his ability to assess the situation and respond accordingly, usually with the perfect blend of sharply run ones and twos, and a perfectly-timed boundary to ease the pressure. Bevan averaged an impressive 53.58, few players can have been as responsible for steering their sides to victory on so many occasions.

Main Memory: Bevan hitting Roger Harper down the ground for 4 from the last ball to win the game.

7 AB de Villiers
Total Points: 438
Highest Pick: 3rd
2011 Ranking: 46th

AB de Villiers ODI record is incredible, averaging 53.55 at a strike rate of 100 in 222 matches. He owns the fastest century of all time; a 31-ball demolition of the West Indies in 2015. De Villiers is a marvel to watch. Like a liger ready to pounce, he crouches down, knees bent, eyes focused as his prey enters its delivery stride. In that position, he can hit the ball anywhere, 360 degrees, and for six. He has no weakness. He treats spin and seam with the same disdain, revels on fast and slow pitches. He gave the gloves away to focus on his batting, but the numbers suggest he should have kept them – he averages 71 as a 'keeper, with 10 tons in 55 digs.

Main Memory: I always like it when he gets off the mark as http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cricket-chat/34712-ab-not-fan-ducks.html. My main memory though is his 162* (66) at the 2015 World Cup which was absolutely insane and I'm picking this over his fastest century as a) I actually watched it b) World Cup.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah technically Kohli has had the biggest increase but if you only include those who made the 2011 Top 50, de Villiers has definitely had the biggest increase. Kallis dropped the most: 15th to 41st. I'm not surprised that Kallis the ODI player's stock has decreased after retirement.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Nuffers, just a suggestion. I think you should go back and edit in only good stuff into the Main Memory for every person ranked so far. Just dont think mentioned Murali being called (wrongly) for chucking makes sense given the purpose of this list.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nuffers, just a suggestion. I think you should go back and edit in only good stuff into the Main Memory for every person ranked so far. Just dont think mentioned Murali being called (wrongly) for chucking makes sense given the purpose of this list.
Why? Sometimes a bad memory might be what people associate with a player.

Donald and Klusener were great players but we all know what everyone's main memory there is.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Lol.. You want people to list bad memories for every player? You seriously do not get the point of doing something called 50 "best" ODI cricketers???

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Interesting suggestion. I'm not going to change what I've written, but you can edit it if you really want to.

I've just written my main memory for everyone, it was just an add-on to the list and shouldn't be taken as a final comment at the cricketers hall of fame unveil or funeral.

Oh **** just realised that OS actually wrote a very good article on Virat and I forgot to use it, sorry!!

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Interesting suggestion. I'm not going to change what I've written, but you can edit it if you really want to.

I've just written my main memory for everyone, it was just an add-on to the list and shouldn't be taken as a final comment at the cricketers hall of fame unveil or funeral.

Oh **** just realised that OS actually wrote a very good article on Virat and I forgot to use it, sorry!!

You would think so but when the thread is titled 50 "best" I think there is a responsibility to make it a bit more universal. Again, just my thoughts as its not really your ranking and more of a CW ranking.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
You would think so but when the thread is titled 50 "best" I think there is a responsibility to make it a bit more universal. Again, just my thoughts as its not really your ranking and more of a CW ranking.
How come you can't distinguish that the CW ranking is the number that the player was ranked in and the main memory section is just my memory of the player as I thought it would be an interesting touch instead of just talking stats and style in the comment above.

Just pretend the main memory is in the post below and I've decided to share a memory I have on each player except for Flintoff, who I used Burgey's memory.

In some ways I could have just went

50 Greg Chappell

next post

49 Javed Miandad.

Yes, I'm defending what I've done as it feels way too late to be offering up suggestions.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
How can it be suggested before we saw what was put there? Anyways, its your thing, you can put it the way you see it. I just hate it when it leads to comments like the one you immediately got after that post. IMHO, there is a difference between remembering Klusener for the WC semi debacle and remembering Murali for someone else's idiocy and bias.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
How can it be suggested before we saw what was put there? Anyways, its your thing, you can put it the way you see it. I just hate it when it leads to comments like the one you immediately got after that post. IMHO, there is a difference between remembering Klusener for the WC semi debacle and remembering Murali for someone else's idiocy and bias.
See I think me mentioning the Hair thing and then moving on to his best performance ripping through India with his 7/30 was less controversial then someone else writing that an international umpire was an idiot and biased.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
See I think me mentioning the Hair thing and then moving on to his best performance ripping through India with his 7/30 was less controversial then someone else writing that an international umpire was an idiot and biased.
Not controversial if written about Emerson though :happy:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
@Nuffers: Lol... not really... And the no ball calls happened in tests. I thought you referred to Emerson seeing as we are talking ODIs. And I feel I am not off the mark on Emerson. I dont think I am too far off the mark on Hair either. And honestly, Nuffers, think you are just being adamant at this point. As I said, there is a difference between talking about something a player did (even if it is bad) in most memorable moment and mentioning what was basically a witch hunt.

Last edited: