• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are England really favourites for CT17?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
And that win over NZ has to be taken with a grain of salt. England won the series 3-2 but had Mitchell Santner (who is a world-class fieldsman) not dropped a sitter off Bairstow in the 5ht and deciding match, NZ would have won that series.
So if someone wins the final because of a dropped catch, does mean that we ignore the final as well?

Spark

Global Moderator
And that win over NZ has to be taken with a grain of salt. England won the series 3-2 but had Mitchell Santner (who is a world-class fieldsman) not dropped a sitter off Bairstow in the 5ht and deciding match, NZ would have won that series.
Taking simple catches is a fairly important part of cricket

Flem274*

123/5
mitchell santner, apparent world class fieldsman and common dropper of high catches in international and domestic cricket

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
It is a big tournament for Eoin Morgan. Always does poorly at the World Cup, not sure of his record in the CT - but big game player.. I think not.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
mitchell santner, apparent world class fieldsman and common dropper of high catches in international and domestic cricket
I've seen people describe Santner as both an amazing and terrible fielder, and I think both are partly true. He is genuinely exceptional at making ground across the outfield like a startled jackrabbit to reach the ball, while his hands to catch or gather cleanly are slightly below average imo.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've seen people describe Santner as both an amazing and terrible fielder, and I think both are partly true. He is genuinely exceptional at making ground across the outfield like a startled jackrabbit to reach the ball, while his hands to catch or gather cleanly are slightly below average imo.
My experience of him is he makes hard stops look easy, but can't catch sitters for toffee.

Niall

International Coach
While I wouldn't be surprised if England win this, I am not sure if I agree they should be the favs. My concern for them is the group, yep you'd expect them to win one match v NZ or Australia, but neither of those are exactly minnows and both have done well in England previously. Its possible like the England rugby team in 2015 who everyone had second favourites they may not get out of what is a nasty group.

I have Saffers as favourites at the moment, Lanka are average and Pakistan without Sharjeel are pretty mediocre. I think they should be slight favourites v India as well. The draw has been kind for them.

Niall

International Coach
Heck Bangladesh are probably stronger than Pakistan and Lanka at the moment, its not a nice group whatsoever for England, India and South Africa fans should be quietly confident.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Are people doing that thing where they massively over-rate South Africa or have they got good in the last couple of years?

Burner

International Regular
AB is pretty much hell bent on winning some ODI silverware from what he's been saying recently. They've got a very balanced team as well. They are justified in being favorites imo.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
AB is pretty much hell bent on winning some ODI silverware from what he's been saying recently. They've got a very balanced team as well. They are justified in being favorites imo.
AB has a World Cup win under his belt and is Australian.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
And I fail to see how much Abdv "wants it" is really relevant to how the team should be rated prior to the tournament.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
He wanted it just as badly during the WC 2015. Didn't work.

That being said, the South African ODI team based on recent form is a much stronger unit than they were during the previous World Cup.

They beat England, then did badly in the Tri series with Australia and West Indies, and then beat Australia and New Zealand (albeit a weaker Australian side)

They are strong based on recent record, but not sure if I would place them as favourites. The batting will be heavily reliant on De Kock and AB and the bowling on Tahir and Rabada.

They should qualify for the Semis given their group, but if they are up against a full strength Australia in the semis, don't see them going past that.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think Australia are the favorites followed closely by England and South Africa as #2s. India a distant #3 or #4, depending on how pedantic you want to be. :) But I think Sri Lanka might surprise people in this tournament.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Are people doing that thing where they massively over-rate South Africa or have they got good in the last couple of years?
People are overrating SA... our middle order batting is soft, and our allrounders are actually untested.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'd almost have India or South Africa as favourites just because I think they are the most likely team to get out of their group.

Now both won't make it through, but ah well.

Niall

International Coach
I'd almost have India or South Africa as favourites just because I think they are the most likely team to get out of their group.

Now both won't make it through, but ah well.
I have Saffers fav's due to their group, the other one is very messy.