• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are England really favourites for CT17?

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
In my defense, I've given you the name of the publication of the weekly periodical that is on sale now and even provided the front cover for your convenience.

PS

It isn't a tabloid but a cricketing newspaper. And regardless, many of the people writing for the tabloids are of the 'former player' fraternity, Messrs. Nasser and Athers and Vaughan and people like that. Most of the British tabloids pay former players (and present players, e.g. Broad) a lot to work as columnists.

Last edited:

tobe_ornot2

Banned
This is interesting. The term faourites is used to define either a single team that wil likely win the tournament or a grou pof teams that are likely to do well. I am squarely in the latter definition. England are ONE of the top 3 favourites (the other two being Australia and India) with outsiders in NZ and SA. I do think England have the finest batting line up, with Australia having a solid unit and SA the best all round unit.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Since England's 'post-World Cup 2015 turnaround', they have been beaten by Australia, South Africa and India in one-dayers, the former of those in England.
Winning 5 of the 13 ODIs in the process. Sure, the series may have been lost but England beat all 3 teams at least once.

I'm reasonably confident in asserting that Australia are also the only side to have won a series in the last 4 years in England.

Put those two factors together and you have a team which can win the trophy.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Thanks for posting that CriccAddict........had Kennedy done so when asked it could have saved a 3 page **** fest in this thread.

Yeah, I don't see too much wrong in what Billings said there. Reckon the word "terrified" might be overstating it a bit though. Given the scores Eng's batting lineup have been churning out over the last 18 months if the other players and teams weren't wary of us they would be downright stupid.......but "terrified"? I doubt that very much.

Burner

International Regular
I mean it really is unnecessary for Billings to say that the opposition are 'petrified' of them. It does them no good really. Why would you want to put that much pressure on yourselves. I don't think Morgan found it very agreeable from his reaction.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Almost feels weird to say this, but Root may actually be the weak link in the English batting, I expect him to score a lot of runs but he may end up making 100 at the SR of 90 which might end up being match losing given the nature of games England is playing.

theegyptian

I mean it really is unnecessary for Billings to say that the opposition are 'petrified' of them. It does them no good really. Why would you want to put that much pressure on yourselves. I don't think Morgan found it very agreeable from his reaction.
Agreed but it's much better them having the belief and confidence they can win, rather than the last WC where they went into knowing they had no chance.

theegyptian

Almost feels weird to say this, but Root may actually be the weak link in the English batting, I expect him to score a lot of runs but he may end up making 100 at the SR of 90 which might end up being match losing given the nature of games England is playing.
Nah. He's the only consistent, low risk player they have. He sets it up for everyone else and is a good foil for the other bats.

theegyptian

If Stokes is out of the tournament their odds go way down. He might not have had a brilliant ODI career to date but he balances the team and allows them to play 6 bowlers, 2 of which are spinners.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Nah. He's the only consistent, low risk player they have. He sets it up for everyone else and is a good foil for the other bats.
Well, of course, he is the key guy in a 300ish match, but the question is, can he keep striking at 105-110 in a 350+ match? (and England seem to be playing a bunch of them currently.)

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Well, of course, he is the key guy in a 300ish match, but the question is, can he keep striking at 105-110 in a 350+ match? (and England seem to be playing a bunch of them currently.)
Well thats kinda the Point, he's the cake.

England have a clutch of blokes who can strike at 100+. Roots stability is an absolute necessity in a side of dashers.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Even in the 444 match Root scored 85 @ 98........England need him, he's our rock and he does it consistently. Your Hales, Butlers, Morgans and Alis et al aren't all going to come off every game striking at 150+, you need a Root even in this modern game who can bat through an innings giving licence to your hitters around him. He's not the weak link.......he's the main man.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It does make you wonder though how good a Dravid or a Younis Khan would have been in this sort of a side
Younis Khan would've been pretty mediocre I imagine. Can't say I recall much of his batting in ODIs but his record speaks for itself.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Maybe I'm out of date, but isn't England's bowling fairly ordinary?

Compared to Aust's and SA's anyway....

Howe_zat

Audio File
I wonder how many 300+ scores SA will need to concede before the idea their bowling attack is inherently better than ours fades away?

Took it as a given because so many other people did I think. Then they turned up. Rabada is a class act. Rest of the pace attack not so much. Phelukwayo, Morris and Parnell are not scary and not better than England's ODI seamers.