• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India 2016/17

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Moeen could score 250 here and I'd still bat him at 6 or lower the next test. He simply isn't a test frontline batsman. The stats say it, and watch him bat and you can see it. Even today on a flat wicket it was a far from convincing knock where he could have been out on numerous occasions. I'd guess he'd average between 30 and 35 long term at 4 or 5 - which isn't terrible but isn't what you want from a top order batsman.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Moeen could score 250 here and I'd still bat him at 6 or lower the next test. He simply isn't a test frontline batsman. The stats say it, and watch him bat and you can see it. Even today on a flat wicket it was a far from convincing knock where he could have been out on numerous occasions. I'd guess he'd average between 30 and 35 long term at 4 or 5 - which isn't terrible but isn't what you want from a top order batsman.
Joins a list of

Barrington
Cook
Cowdrey
Gatting
Strauss

As the only English men to score 2 hundreds in a series in India. Playing as a top line batsman too.

He's the only of them to bat everywhere in the top 9 too. Stability in a position might actually help Moeen. We don't have middle order batsman banging the door down in division one as well.

Last edited:

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Can anyone work out the best 100 count after 50 tests. I know it's Bradman, but interesting to know who were the next lot.

Cos Root really could have had 20 by this stage.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Part of this discussion is what we want from Bairstow, who's been serviceable in the top 5 but was world class as a number 7.

Compton

International Debutant
Cook
Hameed
Jennings
Root
Stokes
Moeen
Bairstow
VACANT
Woakes
Broad
Anderson

The vacant spot can go to Buttler, Rashid or another seamer; conditions pending. Having Stokes and Moeen in the top 6 gives England hella flexibility.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Cook
Hameed
Jennings
Root
Stokes
Moeen
Bairstow
VACANT
Woakes
Broad
Anderson

The vacant spot can go to Buttler, Rashid or another seamer; conditions pending. Having Stokes and Moeen in the top 6 gives England hella flexibility.
Are you sure about Buttler playing if Bairstow keeps wicket? I thought he was just an in extremis option for this series.

Five seamers would be a heck of a lot. I can't thinkof many times when we've had that many fit and in some sort of form. I know it isn't what I said earlier, but if Moeen does bat in the top order, then Rashid may as well play to give us something different with the ball.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Also Moeen hate can gtf. Bloke's earned a run in the top 6, 4 is probably too high (I want Root there) but he deserves a go at 5 or 6.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Or they value his bowling and don't want to overburden him and break him, he's struggled with injuries this year as it is anyway...

You mean like in Mumbai when they forced Moeen to front up after 53 overs coz Stokes might get injured after that enormous workload of 10 overs out of 190 or whatever?

I get why they do this and I get that they rate him as a bowler but to me the lad has all the tools to be one of the best middle order batsmen of this generation. The future of England lies in the middle order of Root, Stokes, Bairstow and the sooner they get rid of their additional loads, the better. Stokes can be used as a partnership breaker and a bowler to try reverse swing when other stuff fails but he is a lot more Kallis or Watson than Flintoff if you get my drift. And they need to figure out if Buttler can be a full time test match batsman keeper as well. Given the ridiculous depth Moeen, Stokes and Woakes give this side, I think they should make him a full time #7 keeper.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
And FTR, think Moeen works best as a batsman when he can go in and play his natural game without worrying about being tight and stuff. Similar to STokes 2 or 3 years ago, maybe. But to me, STokes has shown since then that he can bat in different modes and gears and play to the situation. But even more impressively, he has worked very hard on his defence and it is something he can trust, even if it is still not quite top class. That, to me, is the difference between a #4 and a #6.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sounds like Root got sawn-off his Hundred. Wouldn't put it past him tonning up in the 2nd dig though.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Sounds like Root got sawn-off his Hundred. Wouldn't put it past him tonning up in the 2nd dig though.
Not many in here agreed with me last night but bloody right he got sawn off. Really poor application of the DRS by the 3rd umpire IMO.

hazsa19

International Regular
My take on the various topics;

Root was obvs out. Don't get this whole 'it wasn't enough to overturn' nonesense. Noise as it passed the bat, bat off the ground etc.

Moeen's done more than most to earn his place in the middle order. Should be nailed on 5 or 6. Belittling his hundred today seems to a tad harsh too, didnt seem to any more luck than most big innings.

Root should stay at 3. Even though he's struggling to convert, his ability to bat on serenely with top order wickets falling around him is invaluable. Reminds me a little of the way Ricky Ponting used to counter-punch.

Just need to find a no.4 as we don't want Stokes or Bairstow batting higher than 5.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bairstow, Stokes, Moeen is fine in any order if it is 5-7.