• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

Blocky

Banned
If you followed the career of Kessler, you'd realise the reason he retired soon after those losses was that he had recurring back injuries and hand issues. He's considered a solid challenge for Ward but let's not make him into a Top 10 P4P fighter to make Ward look better. He was a solid guy and was shown to be pretty average/B level talent by what Calzaghe put on him. ps - Calzaghe stopped hardly anyone in the final stanza of his career, his hands were completely shot and he wasn't a patch on the fighter he had earlier been (back in the Robin Reid days)

Floyd Mayweather Jr for all the crap he takes makes Ward's career look like baby steps with the amount of P4P Top 10 talent he beat in his career, Ward has a couple of solid wins but closer inspection shows they're not as good as they seem. I think there are major question marks over him, and to claim that he's the only boxer of this era currently seeking out tough fights when he's only fought 8 times in 7 years, against talent like Sakio Bika, Paul Smith, Rodriguez.

Froch (who was near the end of his career), Kessler and Dawson are good victories, not great.
Kovalev would have been great, but the reality is he lost that fight.

Blocky

Banned
You mean the guy who's best win is over the guy who you just described as "beaten up and aged", less than 2 years before he fought Ward, in his late 20s?

Good stuff man.

FTR, Calzaghe was a great boxer, and very comparable to Ward.
Calzaghe's best wins came far earlier in his career than the fight against Kessler, Kessler was hyped but was always going to get beaten by Calzaghe. Calzaghe ruined undefeated Jeff Lacy in one fight, and had wins over a ton of ex champions and top talent over a long career despite the fact that after the Reid fight, his hands were never the same.

Blocky

Banned
Whats your take on Parker? I'm on the fence, unsure if he's the goods or if he's just been fighting some reasonably easy opponents up until now.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Oh right it's that same **** where when one fighter beats a guy it's because they're really good and when another fighter beats the same guy it's because they're "shot".

Floyd is one of the best boxers ever, and his resume makes basically anyone's look like ****.

Again, who has GGG actually beaten, that's even close to the guys Ward has schooled?

Blocky

Banned
Oh right it's that same **** where when one fighter beats a guy it's because they're really good and when another fighter beats the same guy it's because they're "shot".

Floyd is one of the best boxers ever, and his resume makes basically anyone's look like ****.

Again, who has GGG actually beaten, that's even close to the guys Ward has schooled?
Re-read what I wrote, Kessler was never a great fighter, he got massively hyped when he was up to fight Calzaghe but people at the time knew he would never have a chance against Calzaghe. He's a solid pro and a good win for Ward, but he's not a great win. I think the closest thing to a great win that Ward got was against Froch at the end of the SMW tournament

Ward as it stands has a better career than GGG, that doesn't mean that GGG wouldn't slap the crap out of him should they fight.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Whats your take on Parker? I'm on the fence, unsure if he's the goods or if he's just been fighting some reasonably easy opponents up until now.
He's beaten up piss poor opponents, but the Takam win does legitimise him a bit.

I think he could beat a lot of the tall fighters like Joshua and maybe even Wilder but he will get destroyed by guys like Povetkin, the pressure fighters who have more power than Takam.

FTR, if he's serious he should leave Duco Events, and possibly get a new trainer as well.

Blocky

Banned
His defense needs some work from what I've seen, I think he should approach Jeff Mayweather (the unsung Mayweather brother) who has experience working with heavyweights and can work around a fighter not using the Philly Shell.

I'm surprised Povetkin hasn't been dominant in this era, drug issues seem to be derailing him. I'm still shocked that Tyson Fury beat Wladimir, Klitschko didn't do anything in there, he was so bad until the final rounds and showed how easily he could have busted him up, I think Fury is now faking everything so he never has to get back in there again

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
His defense needs some work from what I've seen, I think he should approach Jeff Mayweather (the unsung Mayweather brother) who has experience working with heavyweights and can work around a fighter not using the Philly Shell.

I'm surprised Povetkin hasn't been dominant in this era, drug issues seem to be derailing him. I'm still shocked that Tyson Fury beat Wladimir, Klitschko didn't do anything in there, he was so bad until the final rounds and showed how easily he could have busted him up, I think Fury is now faking everything so he never has to get back in there again
His defense has been an issue for a long, long time, which is why I think he needs a new trainer.

Fury should get way more credit for that win. Klitschko didn't do anything because he couldn't - Fury's movement, feints and head movement completely derailed him. It was very smart boxing, and shows amazing ability for a 6'9 guy to be able to do that. I don't think any other current boxer could do the same thing to Klitschko. The one question mark is the apparent failed drugs test but it's unclear whether that was a set up. Honestly, British boxing seems really corrupt at the moment. Money is talking.

In any case, Fury is the Man That Beat The Man.

Blocky

Banned
I definitely give Fury credit, but in the last few rounds when Klitschko finally realised he needed to pull finger, he was busting him up pretty regularly, he just seems so tentative to actually throw in that fight and wasn't using his jab/feint to make room for that big right hand.

It's the fact that Fury is the lineal champion that annoys me, because I don't think he'll fight again, and if he does, it won't be against true competition.

Blocky

Banned
Doesn't stop him being the actual lineal champ at the moment, the titles are meaningless until they're unified or they belonged to the lineal champion - Klitschko was the lineal champion, now Fury is.

listento_me

U19 Captain
I genuinely think Bellew can be seriously hurt. This is a mismatch in every way possible. It should not be sanctioned.

Also, Loma just pulled off a career best performance and Walters just humiliated himself

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I genuinely think Bellew can be seriously hurt. This is a mismatch in every way possible. It should not be sanctioned.
Nowhere near as bad as Ortiz vs Dave Allen.

The most avoided guy in heavyweight boxing and a legit top 5 boxer vs a guy who isn't even British level, let alone European level, let alone world level. Insane.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
That fight could be an absolute smeller. Ortiz looked really slow against Malik and Allen looked more than happy just to avoid getting hit when he fought Whyte, who's not fit to lace Ortiz's gloves.

Expect ten rounds of Ortiz lumbering about and Allen spoiling.

Bellew moving up to heavyweight is surely proof Britain has a quota for bellends in the division. Now Fury's on hiatus, Haye, Chisora and Whyte need another **** for company.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
That fight could be an absolute smeller. Ortiz looked really slow against Malik and Allen looked more than happy just to avoid getting hit when he fought Whyte, who's not fit to lace Ortiz's gloves.

Expect ten rounds of Ortiz lumbering about and Allen spoiling.

Bellew moving up to heavyweight is surely proof Britain has a quota for bellends in the division. Now Fury's on hiatus, Haye, Chisora and Whyte need another **** for company.
It's really disappointing because
a) David Haye (somehow) has a mandatory spot to fight the winner of the Parker-Ruiz fight, which he's giving up to take the fight. So despite him saying repeatedly that he wants a strap...he refuses to fight anyone with any rank. And he's still managed to manouvre a mandatory spot. What a troll.

b) Ortiz is a legite top fighter but he's getting old. He doesn't need to be wasting time or energy fighting guys who are lucky to even be ranked in the top 100. He should be fighting for a belt now.

It's become increasingly obvious that Hearn signed Ortiz to protect Joshua from him.

Blocky

Banned
I still think Shannon "The Cannon" Briggs at 44 would knock Haye clean cold, and probably do the same to Parker, Joshua, Ruiz.

So many defensive gaps in the guys of today.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I still think Shannon "The Cannon" Briggs at 44 would knock Haye clean cold, and probably do the same to Parker, Joshua, Ruiz.

So many defensive gaps in the guys of today.
Haye can actually fight (or "could" might be the operative word)

If he has anything left whatsoever, he'd box rings around Briggs

Blocky

Banned
David Haye was a slugger who was extremely powerful at Cruiserweight but beatable by a good boxer. He hasn't changed.

Shannon Briggs when he's not suffering from asthma is an oldschool callback with a stiff jab, good lateral movement and the ability to get on the inside and bust someone up; he's also got an iron chin and would take the best shots Haye could throw.