• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

Niall

International Coach
Credit to Ward to come back after looking pretty doomed after the knockdown, but nah not happy with that decision at all.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Credit to Ward to come back after looking pretty doomed after the knockdown, but nah not happy with that decision at all.
It was close, but definitely not a robbery as some are claiming.

Kovalev definitely took rounds 1, 2 and 6. With 2 obviously being a 10-8 round. So definitely 4 points.

Ward clearly won 4, 5, 9, 10, 11, 12. Definitely 6 points.

3, 7 and 8 were close, but I was leaning towards Ward. He also completely dominated the back end of the fight.

final score seemed about right.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Hopefully a rematch will attract a lot of attention. They should try to play up the robbery angle or whatever, not because I find that entertaining, but because these two really deserve a bigger payday. For a start, they're about the only two boxers who frequently aim to take the toughest fights.

Ward made $5 million, and Kovalev $2 million. We're talking about 2 of the best professionals in the world, with the winner arguably the best P4P. They also fought at a relatively young age, pretty much in their primes.

Ward kinda refuses to do what Mayweather figured out he needed to do 15 years ago and be the villain. Fair enough, but it's sad to see these guys get paid less than what most NBA players make in quarter of a season.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ward is such a great fighter

I think he'll be better in the rematch as he now has the blueprint and this was his first real test in 4 years so he should be better for the outing

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hopefully a rematch will attract a lot of attention. They should try to play up the robbery angle or whatever, not because I find that entertaining, but because these two really deserve a bigger payday. For a start, they're about the only two boxers who frequently aim to take the toughest fights.

Ward made $5 million, and Kovalev $2 million. We're talking about 2 of the best professionals in the world, with the winner arguably the best P4P. They also fought at a relatively young age, pretty much in their primes.

Ward kinda refuses to do what Mayweather figured out he needed to do 15 years ago and be the villain. Fair enough, but it's sad to see these guys get paid less than what most NBA players make in quarter of a season.
I think that Ward is just a decent person and refuses to indulge in the same bs as many others just to promote a fight

As you say, it almost certainly costs him at the box office but I respect him for it

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Meanwhile, Luis Ortiz is fighting Dave ****ing Allen in the mismatch of the century.

WTF Hearn. We know you like to feed your fighters bums, but this is ridiculous.

Blocky

Banned
Which news site are you reading that crap from? From what I've heard GGG offered to fight Ward straight after the SMW tournament but Ward refused because he felt that GGG wasn't big enough as a name.

He was honestly lucky to get the decision against Kovalev, do you honestly believe he's going to rematch him? I don't. Ward has been a master at avoiding the tough fights.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Which news site are you reading that crap from? From what I've heard GGG offered to fight Ward straight after the SMW tournament but Ward refused because he felt that GGG wasn't big enough as a name.

He was honestly lucky to get the decision against Kovalev, do you honestly believe he's going to rematch him? I don't. Ward has been a master at avoiding the tough fights.
Andre Ward is the one fighter in this era who fights every top fighter available. It's actually what he's known for. Look at his resume. Avoiding GGG then fighting Kovalev - probably the biggest pound-for-pound puncher in the whole freaking sport, and an extremely good boxer too? That would be utterly insane. Thinking he's avoided GGG is akin to the people thinking Klitschko avoided Anthony Joshua.

Yes, he will rematch him. Not only does his ego want a decisive victory, it's also the biggest money fight available to him.

Blocky

Banned
A beaten up, aged Mikkel Kessler was his first real competition, Carl Froch was a good fight and Kovalev was a good fight, Chad Dawson on paper looks good but he's been in a downward slump and lost to some real bums after Ward beat him. Ward's career looks better than it actually is, but most of the names he's beaten (before Kovalev) were in their last throws as a fighter.

Kovalev would've been a good win, but that has such an asterisk on it with the way the decision came in.

Blocky

Banned
Just FTR - Calzaghe would have beaten the piss out of Ward, he's a better version of Ward, much better footwork, faster hands, better jab, more stamina and a better inside game.

It'd be funny though, both of them are pillow hitters who rely on volume rather than power.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
A beaten up, aged Mikkel Kessler was his first real competition, Carl Froch was a good fight and Kovalev was a good fight, Chad Dawson on paper looks good but he's been in a downward slump and lost to some real bums after Ward beat him. Ward's career looks better than it actually is, but most of the names he's beaten (before Kovalev) were in their last throws as a fighter.

Kovalev would've been a good win, but that has such an asterisk on it with the way the decision came in.
Lololol. Since when is 30 years old "aged"? "Beaten up"? Kessler had had ONE loss in his career, two years earlier against ATG Calzaghe, and it was a UD, not a stoppage. Since then he'd KOed three dudes in succession. There's also Arthur Abraham etc. Did you watch the Froch fight? It was an absolute demolition of a very, very good fighter.

And who exactly has GGG beaten? I know it's not his fault that Canelo and good fighters have ducked him, but still, who has he actually fought? Noone in the league of boxers that Ward has comfortably beaten.

Look, I understand how you can be unhappy about the Kovalev decision. It was a close fight, could have gone either way. But to then **** on the career of basically the only boxer in the current era who actually seeks out the tough fights? Nah, not having it.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Just FTR - Calzaghe would have beaten the piss out of Ward, he's a better version of Ward, much better footwork, faster hands, better jab, more stamina and a better inside game.
You mean the guy who's best win is over the guy who you just described as "beaten up and aged", less than 2 years before he fought Ward, in his late 20s?

Good stuff man.

FTR, Calzaghe was a great boxer, and very comparable to Ward.