• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

No runners ever and yes to UDRS

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
These rules are interesting but they are just more rules designed to help batsmen destroy bowlers.

Two new balls at each end in ODI's
This is just designed to help batsmen, but could work either way. Keep the ball harder for longer and take reverse swing out of the accusation. The thought of England running in with 2 new balls against Sehwag, Tendulkar and Gambhir on a flat track in India makes me fell sick. And the though of the poor buggers getting no reverse swing at the death against Yuvraj, Raina and Dohni gives similar feelings.

It also makes spinners less effective. Usually a spinner will be coming on with a 15 over old ball, now it will be just 7 overs old. Weird.

However the thought of Dale Steyn and Morne Morkel steaming in with a new ball each on a spicy Johannesburg track gives me chills.

It also, however, means that the bowling team can work on each ball differently trying to get one to reverse straight away and trying to keep the other ball hard a shinny.

Powerplay must be during overs (16-40)
This is interesting. It's clear they are trying to get rid of the boring middle overs where teams just pick off singles with minimal risk. It could mean more positive cricket during the middle overs but I fear that they will just try and milk in the powerplays anyway. Just bring a couple men up and bowl to your field while they go at 6 an over, sounds fine for the bowling team.

I do however think it's stupid that if a team were 20-4 after 10 over the bowling team can't take the powerplay. Imagine they keep the field up and suddenly the batting team are 60-4 and you've lost all momentum by the time you can take the powerplay.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Гурин;2666588 said:
Maybe it could be better for Kumble-like spinners or for misers, probably they'll be able to get some more bounce, but I fear that the attacking big turners of the ball will struggle. They're already disappearing, and this will not help their cause for sure
I've always found the best time to bowl with the white ball is around the 10th - 18th over, ball is hard enough to get some bounce and not so soft that it doesn't fizz off the pitch.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
They've gotta stop ****ing around with powerplays.

Why increase the innings break in ODIs?

Love that mankad is back, looking forward to two new balls and happy that there will no longer be runners.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They've gotta stop ****ing around with powerplays.

Why increase the innings break in ODIs?

Love that mankad is back, looking forward to two new balls and happy that there will no longer be runners.
Pretty much sums up my feelings. Some of them are good, some of them seem silly. Overall though, happy with what's come out of it.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So what do people think of how the rule changes have effected ODIs?

I've not watched any but the obvious things to me are that scores are a lot lower with bowling generally being much more of a factor. The power-plays are still very formulaic in their selection, ie they're nearly always still taken at the earliest opportunity for the bowling side and the latest opportunity for the batting side.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I completely forgot about the 2 new balls and during the WI batting I was thinking "jeez yadav, aaron and vinay are getting a lot out of this new ball" before the comms mentioned the rule change.

I am a huge huge fan. Love it.

What set of odis has all the rule changes applied from? What was the first match?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't understand why they insist on having these extra optional powerplays in the first place. :wacko: Back in 90's, there were first 15 overs of fixed powerplay, and I never thought those matches were boring.
Hmm, times have changed though. With pitches, bats, batting philosophies and field sizes the way they are, 95% of the time the optimal captaincy strategy is pretty much to set as defensive a field as you possibly can. I don't think the rule changes address that problem at all and the thought of explaining the powerplay regulations to my non-cricket-watching friends becomes more painful every time they decide to tinker.