• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Team of the 2010s

91Jmay

International Coach
Who else is there? Root? Warner?

None of the other options actually inspire any confidence of having a long-term, highly successful career.
Yeah giving this is a projection, Dhawan is as good a prediction as anyway IMO.

Flem274*

123/5
furball is right.

to put things in perspective, peter fulton has more test hundreds than dhawan.

dhawan may or may not be the bees knees (i haven't had a good look at him yet) but he's played one test. it would be like me putting hamish rutherford or phil hughes in the team of the decade after their respective debuts.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
David Warner is a better pick than Dhawan right now, given that he has scored 3 high quality test centuries and has proven his ability to score runs against good bowling attacks in tough conditions.

Maybe Dhawan will prove himself capable too, but the evidence isn't there yet.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, definitely agree. But the nature of these teams is to speculate, so I don't really take issue with people selecting Dhawan; if it were a current XI than I completely agree with you.

I did select Dhawan, but he'd be replaced pretty easily; Root would probably be a far better selection anyway.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Dhawan has looked really good in his ODI career as well, that's still relevant IMO, SA tour will tell us a lot though

Riggins

International Captain
furball is right.

to put things in perspective, peter fulton has more test hundreds than dhawan.

dhawan may or may not be the bees knees (i haven't had a good look at him yet) but he's played one test. it would be like me putting hamish rutherford or phil hughes in the team of the decade after their respective debuts.
phil hughes made 0 and 74 on debut. no wonder he wasn't in your team of the decade. :ph34r:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Dhawan has looked really good in his ODI career as well, that's still relevant IMO, SA tour will tell us a lot though
Not really. Has there ever been an Asian batsman where batting in SA was make or break? Pujara got nowt there and people are happy to include him.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Not really. Has there ever been an Asian batsman where batting in SA was make or break? Pujara got nowt there and people are happy to include him.
The conditions are as alien over there for those guys than anywhere else and then on top of that they have to encounter the best fast bowlers... lol

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think it will be that vital in the development of his career, but I certainly think it will show us a fair bit about where he is at and whether he can deal with overseas conditions as an opener successfully right now.

smash84

The Tiger King
too early to say anything about Dhawan. Last I checked he was busy pummeling the A teams with his 248. I expect him to land back to earth pretty soon when he returns to international cricket

Howe_zat

Audio File
Just over five years on now, we are more than half way through the decade. I am a little embarrassed by some selections as the way I look at cricket has changed quite a bit. I still set a lot of store by all-format players as generally being just the best players, but you need to think pretty carefully about when performances come in the shorter formats. And be less impressed by players who have just had a good tour of England.

Current working grades:

1. Tamim Iqbal

2510 runs at 44.03, 6 hundreds

Prediction Grade: D

An acceptable entry into the discussion of world class openers, Tamim is mostly held back by the fixture list only allowing him to shine at home, and not very often. Can't really be considered against those who rack up centuries all over the world but might be a goer in the world's top second XI, and has been a big part of Bangladesh getting a working batting order over the last few years.

Should have picked: Dave Warner

2. Alastair Cook

6229 runs at 49.04, 18 hundreds

Prediction Grade - A

The decade's leading run scorer has gone from a maybe to the most prolific opening batsman of all time. It's hard to ask for more (though people will insist on doing so.) Also a resurgent team captain with multiple ashes wins to go with tours to India and SA. Win for me, loss for all the non believers that left him out in their responses.

3. Hashim Amla (c)

4566 runs at 60.07, 17 hundreds

Prediction Grade - C+

Having just come off a phenomenal tour of India it was an easy pick, one that I tried to **** up by giving him captaincy, which it's safe to say didn't work out. Still a goer for this team, which will enjoy his scoring a century in every third match this decade so far.

4. Ross Taylor

3588 run at 47.21, 9 hundreds

Prediction Grade: C-

Ross Taylor is showing his class as the finest batsman modern New Zealand has produced, a man who is going to break all their batting records and score many of their finest innings in situations his team needs him the most. This update comes to you from a universe where Kane Williamson doesn't exist.

Should have picked: Kane Williamson

5. AB de Villiers+

4863 runs at 58.93

Prediction Grade: B

An obvious and ultimately correct prediction somewhat let down by giving him the gloves, although that is only because he doesn't want to do it. Seeing as this list was intended to be about all formats he is probably going to be the first name on the team sheet.

6. Suresh Raina

768 runs at 26.48, 1 hundred

Prediction grade: F

Didn't happen. Next.

Should have picked: Steve Smith or Virat Kohli

7. Shakib Al Hasan

2109 runs at 44.85, 3 centuries, 99 wickets at 35.75, 9 five-fors

Prediction Grade: C-

Has kept doing what he has doing. Not a failure - he has maintained a top allround ranking in both Tests and ODIs - but will need to do a fair bit more to convince by the end of the decade. Could start, like Tamim, by playing a few more Tests.

Maybe should have picked: Angelo Mathews

8. Stuart Broad

1754 runs at 23.39, 1 hundred, 257 wickets at 26.89, 12 five-fors

Prediction Grade: A-

For those who call this an obvious pick, this was six months before a certain thread arguing about whether or not he was better than Sreesanth. He is, for the record. Only problem is calling him an allrounder, but no need to nitpick.

9. Umar Gul

72 wickets at 34.62, 0 five-fors

His international career appeared to end the moment I clicked 'post'. At least he's back in international colours this season, though there's no chance of him making this side.

Should have picked: Any of Trent Boult, Tim Southee, Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazlewood, Wahab Riaz, even Steven Finn for all I know

10. Dale Steyn

234 wickets at 21.48, 14 five-fors

Prediction Grade: B+

Like De Villiers, an obvious selection at the time that paid off. Became seriously talked about as the best strike bowler ever to play. Here's hoping he carries on.

11. Ajantha Mendis

26 wickets at 43.69, 2 five-fors

Of the many Sri Lankan spinners floating around their limited overs sides, Mendis appears to have decided to be the one who turns it the least and plays the fewest Tests. Came back to Earth with a bump.

Should have picked: Rangana Herath or Nathan Lyon

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fair summary Jake, although in my opinion Ben Stokes should certainly be there - always thought he was flattering to deceive at Test level, but events in South Africa have convinced me that I was completely and utterly wrong in that judgement

Howe_zat

Audio File
Fair summary Jake, although in my opinion Ben Stokes should certainly be there - always thought he was flattering to deceive at Test level, but events in South Africa have convinced me that I was completely and utterly wrong in that judgement
He may well make the side in the end but we couldn't have predicted him coming in 2010. The 'should have picked' players are those that other people in the thread suggested.

Despite that restriction I think there's still a shot of me getting 5 or 6 players in the final XI, which is not bad if I say so myself. I really should milk the Cook thing a bit more. So many people wanted him dropped for that Ashes tour.

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My god. What an awful team, and post. RHB? Iqbal? White as captain? Hughes? Morgan? Eugh, eugh, eugh. What the hell was I basing that team on? What did Cameron White do in 2010? To make up for that woeful post. I'll try again.

Alastair Cook
Shikhar Dhawan
Hashim Amla
Cheteshwar Pujara
Michael Clarke
AB De Villiers +
Angelo Mathews
Stuart Broad
Graeme Swann
Dale Steyn
James Anderson
This is mildly amusing from KP, he berates his original side, but drops his inspired pick of TPC, in the second one.

Who does get the spinners berth, think it's between Herath, and still Shakib,despite his iffy form for a few years, he still gives you a solid batting option, and decent spin.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is mildly amusing from KP, he berates his original side, but drops his inspired pick of TPC, in the second one.

Who does get the spinners berth, think it's between Herath, and still Shakib,despite his iffy form for a few years, he still gives you a solid batting option, and decent spin.
Lyon?

Howe_zat

Audio File
Herath has been comfortably the best so far, but it seems like it will end up being either Lyon or Ashwin (unless Herath lasts for another few years). Probably a bit late for anyone to emerge from England, NZ or SA. Yasir Shah ****ed it up.