• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in South Africa 2015/16

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Quinton will open will Elgar.

1. Quinton
2. Elgar
3. Amla
4. AB
5. Faf
6. Bavuma
7. JP
8. Morris

That's a strong batting lineup.

Stefan9

International Debutant
He has opened a lot at wanderers for lions. He was a bit silly at cape town got sucked into broads game. Will learn from it.

Compton

International Debutant
Hales doubtful with a throat infection. Also, those calling for him to be dropped after two tests are being rather silly.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Practically speaking, I don't think anyone is expecting Quinton to score a double century while opening; so keeping shouldn't be a problem.

I know Furball was joking, but Quinton's job in the 1st innings will likely be to tackle the new ball spells and then play aggressively as soon as the 3rd bowler comes in. ...Basically be (Hales+Buttler)

Howe_zat

Audio File
Why take weldone seriously? He's just found a player he's decided to be an arsehole about again. What a surprise it's an England player.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Why take weldone seriously? He's just found a player he's decided to be an arsehole about again. What a surprise it's an England player.
Shut up! If just criticising a player turns one into arsehole then tell me which CW-poster isn't one.

Alex Hales has poor technique as an opener. He averages 38 in FC. He has been selected on the basis of form (last FC season), which is fair enough IMO given the dire situation of all of Cook's partners for the last few years. But if he's not performing then he must be discarded quickly, because the only reason he has been selected is form. He does not deserve a relatively long-run because he hasn't been selected on the basis of class or talent or technique. Form was the only argument.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
It is just because he can't say that they should drop Stokes anymore.
I never said Stokes should be dropped in SA. I said Stokes could be dropped from the playing XI in UAE, and in the end it turned out to be a great call. In that series, he averaged 15 with the bat and 40 with the ball.

I also think Stokes should bat lower than no. 5 in ODIs.

Howe_zat

Audio File
If SA drop Piedt they deserve to lose even if it works. Homogenising your attack is sometimes dumb but it's always dire.

Hope it works out like when NZ played at Headingley, played no spinner on the ground's reputation and then Swann took a 10-for.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Tbf, did NZ even have a backup spinner in their squad that tour? Williamson had basically overtaken Martin in terms of effectiveness before his injury as well.

Edit: Obviously this case is a bit different because Piedt has actually proven to be competent. I'm just being argumentative.

Last edited:

Niall

International Coach
If SA drop Piedt they deserve to lose even if it works. Homogenising your attack is sometimes dumb but it's always dire.

Hope it works out like when NZ played at Headingley, played no spinner on the ground's reputation and then Swann took a 10-for.
To drop Piedt, they would have to recall Duminy and mess around with the batting so I can't see them doing it. Although, not as if Piedt is a world beater and if they think it won't spin, they yeah four frontline pacers could be the way to go. It could be a blunder to drop him, but could also work out as well.

91Jmay

International Coach
To drop Piedt, they would have to recall Duminy and mess around with the batting so I can't see them doing it. Although, not as if Piedt is a world beater and if they think it won't spin, they yeah four frontline pacers could be the way to go. It could be a blunder to drop him, but could also work out as well.
They have already dropped Piedt.