• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in South Africa 2015/16

cnerd123

likes this
His natural length just seems a little bit too short to be a consistent wicket taker. Given he gets so much bounce, if he bowled a foot or so fuller I reckon he'd pretty much clean up tbh
Bowling doesn't really work like that though. He'd lose a bit of zip if he tried to get it fuller from his natural length. It's why he only goes fuller when there is old-ball swing on offer. Trade some zip off the pitch for some movement in the air.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bowling doesn't really work like that though. He'd lose a bit of zip if he tried to get it fuller from his natural length. It's why he only goes fuller when there is old-ball swing on offer. Trade some zip off the pitch for some movement in the air.
Don't think that is really the case with Morkel

He is very tall, quick and bangs it in so a batsman's natural instinct is to have the weight on the back foot

Unfortunately, he rarely adopts a strategy of aiming to hit the top of off consistently

IMO, he has definitely under-performed at test level and that is really down to the length that he bowls

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Unfortunately, he rarely adopts a strategy of aiming to hit the top of off consistently
I don't think he has that kind of control though. This does not make him a bad bowler, it just means he has to utilise other skills such as awkward bounce

Stefan9

International Debutant
Hmm he says too much international cricket not cricket. Obviously can't dump the lucrative ipl and such has to be international cricket...

Marius

International Debutant
Interesting dilemma for SA in the bowling department.

I think Morkel and Rabada are definites for tomrrow, and I think they should keep Piedt. I think Abbott or Viljoen would both be a better bet than Morris in terms of bowling, but Morris does help the balance of the side with his batting. We are really missing a solid batting all-rounder in the side.

Stefan9

International Debutant
I think they should play 4 seamers at wanderers so I would go morkel,radaba,morris,viljoen cause an issue with meeting the quota of 4 thought.

Woden

Cricket Spectator
That would be my attack too... then to fix the quotas... JP needs to come in for FAF or Van Zyl... which aids the bowling balance... if Van Zyl - then Amla opens

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Will England play the unchanged XI? I'd ideally like to see Compton opening and Balance at 3, dropping Hales.

Stefan9

International Debutant
That would be my attack too... then to fix the quotas... JP needs to come in for FAF or Van Zyl... which aids the bowling balance... if Van Zyl - then Amla opens
No chance faf gets dropped. AB's best mate and made an 85 last test.

Stefan9

International Debutant
No chance faf gets dropped. AB's best mate and made an 85 last test.
Never believed that, and this course has a new groundsman who is claiming it will spin. No spinner would be a huge gamble.
The historic stats and this seasons stats on first class cricket begs to differ. Also no grounds man is going to say it won't spin at all. We will see but I am 100% convinced it will aid the seamers way more then the spinners.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Pretty sure the only people in the world who think England would be better off with Compton opening and Ballance at 3 also thought that before the second Test. Given the selectors didn't belong to this group, it wouldn't make sense for them to make the change now.

91Jmay

International Coach
The historic stats and this seasons stats on first class cricket begs to differ. Also no grounds man is going to say it won't spin at all. We will see but I am 100% convinced it will aid the seamers way more then the spinners.
He has gone out on a limb and said he'd pick a spinner. That is far more than most groundsman usually say.