• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia 2015

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I'd say he was a genuine allrounder in that sort of period. By 2008 he was more of a batsman than a bowler.
Eh, you gotta remember that he really feasted on Bangladesh and Zim during those years. His record from 2005-2007 when you remove Zimbang is basically averaging 40 with bat and ball.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I'd say he was a genuine allrounder in that sort of period. By 2008 he was more of a batsman than a bowler.
Eh, you gotta remember that he really feasted on Bangladesh and Zim during those years. His record from 2005-2007 when you remove Zimbang is basically averaging 40 with bat and ball.
Gotta be a bit more revisionist Bahnz.

Excellent economy on NZ pitches (no mean feat) and abroad with very little consistent support and pre-DRS when umpires basically didn't give front foot LBWs (his primary mode of dismissal).

It was also a period when the SC teams erred on the side of batting paradises as opposed to dustbowls, and they all had ridiculously powerful batting lineups.

Given that he was basically a better version of Jadeja and could use drift, reckon he'd be pretty lethal in 2015.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Gotta be a bit more revisionist Bahnz.

Excellent economy on NZ pitches (no mean feat) and abroad with very little consistent support and pre-DRS when umpires basically didn't give front foot LBWs (his primary mode of dismissal).

It was also a period when the SC teams erred on the side of batting paradises as opposed to dustbowls, and they all had ridiculously powerful batting lineups.

Given that he was basically a better version of Jadeja and could use drift, reckon he'd be pretty lethal in 2015.
I use similar logic to defend Jeets.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty lethal late-career Vettori here. Also peak beard/haircut (in the test, not the interview). Dat drift to get Bell

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Lovely how the discussion evolved from finding other examples of players who were awesome in ODI's yet comparatively crap in test cricket to the exact moment that Dan Vettori could be considered a genuine test allrounder.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah Bevan not a good example at all. Had he got an regular opportunity in Tests from 1998-2003 period I have little doubt he would have averaged 50+ with the bat over a career.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Can't believe we forgot about Shane Watson.

ATG ODI player. Pretty decent but nothing special test player.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
yeah, but he didn't.
Hmm, discussion was about players who were very good at ODI cricket and not good at Test cricket though, not about players who were very good at ODI cricket and had limited opportunity in Test cricket early in their career and as a result have ordinary statistics. Shouldn't have to explain that tbh.

Shane Watson a very good example.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
You could make a pretty decent thread in discussing the greatest discrepancy between ODI vs Test career.

Without much thought, Dhoni, Bevan, Mills, Afridi, Jadeja, Symonds, Yuvraj, Chris Harris, Agarkar, Watson, Hick, Lee, Raina, Morgan, Bracken, Mortaza, Knight, Razzaq, Guptill, Dippenaar, Hogg and McKay amongst others all make reasonable arguments.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Can't believe we forgot about Shane Watson.

ATG ODI player. Pretty decent but nothing special test player.
You know Watson has become such a joke, it's hard to make any case for him but I used to rate him as a test batsman and I feel that he didn't quite achieve the levels he should have.

He became regular from 09 onwards and I remember he was relatively the more successful one compared to the rest of the Australian team back then. He scored runs against Amir and Asif when rest of the Australian batting was struggling, he got a hundred in India in 2010 when again rest of the team was clueless, and the Ashes 2010, once again he looked most solid as the rest of the team perished. I am not about to make a case for Watson and his records and performances since then are for all to see..

I just feel sad when I see a player who in my view has potential end up like this.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
when you say Afridi Noble 1 are you referring to his bowling? because his batting was still at a pretty respectable average for a test all-rounder

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Hmm, discussion was about players who were very good at ODI cricket and not good at Test cricket though, not about players who were very good at ODI cricket and had limited opportunity in Test cricket early in their career and as a result have ordinary statistics. Shouldn't have to explain that tbh.

Shane Watson a very good example.
yeah, but he didn't get picked and performed averagely in the games he did play. It's entirely your opinion that he could've done better because all we have to go by is what he actually did.