• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Fullback at the tournament

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
There are a few good ones going around. Rate Mike Brown as the best.

Strong contenders = Folau and Smith.

91Jmay

International Coach
Folau is magic and amazing with ball in hand. Smith and Brown have perfectly rounded games. Chris Wyles from the U.S.A an underrated player.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Ben Smith has been the best for a number of years. It's a shame Dagg was held onto for too long.

Folau is an absolute magician but not as consistent as Smith.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's tough for me to say because I'm a huge Ben Smith fan - especially in 2013, when he was probably the best player in the world in that 12 month period. But I have to put my black eye-patch to the side and concede that Folau is in a class of his own.

He's always a handful when playing the All Blacks...and consistently so, saying nothing of the easier opposition he's faced. I've missed very few Australian tests in the last decade, so bit gobsmacked with suggestions he's not consistent. :huh:

Have you actually been watching or did you read that somewhere?

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I've been watching.

Sometimes he kicks when he shouldn't and runs when he shouldn't. He's very good. Smith is better for mine.

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah Folau's positioning defensively leaves a lot to be desired at times. He is the best 15 in the world ball in hand, but there are other factors as well. Brown isn't far off Smith though, almost never has a bad game and a great left foot.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah Folau's positioning defensively leaves a lot to be desired at times. He is the best 15 in the world ball in hand, but there are other factors as well. Brown isn't far off Smith though, almost never has a bad game and a great left foot.
Defensive Abilities
Brown
Smith
Folau

Try scoring skills
Folau
Smith
Brown

Best all round?

Who you rate depends on what value you give to offence vs Defence.

Brown probably needs one or two more stand out games to change people's opinion.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Was thinking about this earlier - I think the reason why so many teams have their best players at fullback is because backs eventually 'graduate' there.

The lighter wingers who score club level tries by burning the domestix for pace aren't what international coaches look for because in a Test backline everyone has to be able to kick and defend. So they pick 15s to shore up the defence.

Then when they've been in tests for a bit and get their positioning right they end up being the top back three player, so they're the fullback. Folau, Brown, Halfpenny and Smith all started as wings. It's happening to Zebo now too.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Was thinking about this earlier - I think the reason why so many teams have their best players at fullback is because backs eventually 'graduate' there.

The lighter wingers who score club level tries by burning the domestix for pace aren't what international coaches look for because in a Test backline everyone has to be able to kick and defend. So they pick 15s to shore up the defence.

Then when they've been in tests for a bit and get their positioning right they end up being the top back three player, so they're the fullback. Folau, Brown, Halfpenny and Smith all started as wings. It's happening to Zebo now too.
Don't agree with this.

Ben Smith was always a fullback. He was chucked on the wing because the ABs coaches have always liked having Dagg at fullback - even when Dagg's not playing well he has a massive punt on him which is a great thing to have, particularly when we were playing Cruden who doesn't have such a big boot. But it was getting harder and harder to justify with Smith consistently tearing up attacks with Otago from fullback, and Dagg not doing anything of note.

Julian Savea is a superb wing but you're never going to put him at fullback. Nonu is one of the best backs in the world but he'll only ever play at 12 or 13.

I also think there's plenty of room for the lighter wingers. Nehe Milner-Scudder an obvious example, but also Cory Jane. I think Hansen has been instrumental in picking players based on whether they're good enough, not whether they tick the boxes of size or other unnecessary criteria.

91Jmay

International Coach
Nonu is nowhere near one of the best backs in the world. One trick pony.

Brown ironically outplayed Folau largely tonight

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Nonu is nowhere near one of the best backs in the world. One trick pony.
errr he hasn't been a one-dimensional player for a good 10 years mate. Actually one of the best passing 12s now which is amazing since he was basically incapable of passing in his first few years.

He's the best 12 in the world by a considerable margin. His absence hurts the ABs significantly.

Frost

U19 Debutant
Brown is possibly the most overrated player at the moment.
This mite seem bias but I still think overall smith is the best.Falou is proberly the most effective on attack IMO