• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official English Domestic Off Season 2014-2015***

Niall

International Coach
Gayle is rocking up for Somerset in the Natwest Blast, he may be in some decline, but its a hell of signing, if he fires at Taunton, it could get very messy for the opposing bowlers.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good to see Cook's great form continues. 3 and 5 v the best team in the country in the warm up.

Lyth gets a ton so we all know he won't play in the WI series.

91Jmay

International Coach
Coles back at Kent then. Would have liked him for Bears.
We love all rounders and Clarke getting oldish in tooth. Pretty nice like for like replacement.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
England one-day cricket is too institutionalised and so very, very English, says Ravi Bopara - Telegraph
Ravi Bopara hits out at England?s culture of fear after World Cup debacle | Sport | The Guardian

Whilst I agree with a lot of the sentiment in Bopara's words in this article I always get the impression with Bopara that it's always someone elses fault for why he doesn't score runs. Sure the system or setup might not be a good one but you're out there batting on your own. You've gotta take personal accountability for your performances on the field and play the way you think you should. He says nothing about his awful warmup performances.

Maybe if Bopara was outstanding at county level you could make an argument for him being stunted by the internal problems of the England dressing room (say Ramprakash or Hick for instance) but Bopara has only been moderately good at county level. There's nothing to suggest in his performances in county cricket (and the IPL, BPL and wherever else he's played) that he should be doing any better than he has at international level.

It's harsh but I really hope he doesn't play cricket for England again. Just doesn't have the mental side of the game for me.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
England one-day cricket is too institutionalised and so very, very English, says Ravi Bopara - Telegraph
Ravi Bopara hits out at England?s culture of fear after World Cup debacle | Sport | The Guardian

Whilst I agree with a lot of the sentiment in Bopara's words in this article I always get the impression with Bopara that it's always someone elses fault for why he doesn't score runs. Sure the system or setup might not be a good one but you're out there batting on your own. You've gotta take personal accountability for your performances on the field and play the way you think you should. He says nothing about his awful warmup performances.

Maybe if Bopara was outstanding at county level you could make an argument for him being stunted by the internal problems of the England dressing room (say Ramprakash or Hick for instance) but Bopara has only been moderately good at county level. There's nothing to suggest in his performances in county cricket (and the IPL, BPL and wherever else he's played) that he should be doing any better than he has at international level.

It's harsh but I really hope he doesn't play cricket for England again. Just doesn't have the mental side of the game for me.
You're right. Most of what he says is true, but eventually over time he's been found to be below the level.

I love how so many of the English journos overrate the guy.

91Jmay

International Coach
You're right. Most of what he says is true, but eventually over time he's been found to be below the level.

I love how so many of the English journos overrate the guy.
Warne was calling him England's key player before WC. No idea what people see in him so much. His bowling is ok though.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yep always someone else's fault with Sad Sack.

The selectors should have been honest with themselves and Bopara years ago. He's not good enough. His temperament is not good enough. And he bottles it.

Unfortunately like him the selectors are too weak and buy into the ****e from the media that he's the saviour, a middle order batsman who can finish. No he's not. He has no useful role because he's not good enough.

This bit in particular should end his career:

Bopara said:
I said to myself then, ‘Right, from now on I’m going to move ahead and be better than the rest’
Yea, because up until then you were just what? Trying to just be good enough to sneak into the squad and then coast about playing 150+ matches and doing nothing of any note to win one?

Last edited:

Niall

International Coach
Younis replaced by Pujara for Yorkshire. The happiest fans will probably be the Indian brigade here, yeah he would make more money in the IPL but for now his future is in test cricket, he needs this spell more than he does carrying drinks, and working with Gillespie has to be a good thing.

He did pretty well for Derbyshire, but was poor in the test series, bar some starts, will be interesting to see how he does.

Khan turns down Yorks but Test star Pujara on his way to Headingley - News - Yorkshire County Cricket Club

Last edited:

Niall

International Coach
Alfonso Thomas will be a bowling coach in the IPL this year. Didn't know he had jacked in 4 day cricket, because if not no clue how he plans to combine both this year, Skype?:laugh:

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
So... Ottis Gibson a short term bowling coach for WI tour.

Also Pujara only went to England because no IPL team picked him up.

WalkingWicket

State 12th Man
Also Pujara only went to England because no IPL team picked him up.
Well, duh. And also because he was pretty pants against the moving red ball, so a season in England will do him good.

Good to see Michael Carberry thrashing 146 off 132 balls for Hampshire, albeit against Loughborough MCCU.

jan

State Vice-Captain
With South African domestic season over I realized I would miss following live scorecards on Cricinfo. So I have decided to give county cricket another try and attempt following a club this season. No idea which to pick though. Any thoughts on who is going to have a thrilling season?

I tried following Surrey once based on their signing of Graeme Smith. Despite having a few (imo) cool fellows like Burns, Roy or Meaker the club doesnt appeal to me. Got recommended Somerset or Worcestershire for 2015. And Kent.

HeathDavisSpeed

Supporting Essex is always thrilling. The frequent demolition of the opponents' top order before letting their tail score tons makes for a rollercoaster ride.

Niall

International Coach
Philander is playing for Notts this season for a wee while, they also have Brendan Taylor in their ranks who we all like and English players, Hales, Taylor, Patel and number one glovesman in the country Chris Read plays for them.

Somerset have Jim Allenby though and Gayle and Anderson for the shorter formats and of course Alviro for the limited overs stuff.

Surrey have Dernbach and KP though, so as a neutral yeah its very hard too warm to them despite Kumar playing for them.

grecian

Philander is playing for Notts this season for a wee while, they also have Brendan Taylor in their ranks who we all like and English players, Hales, Taylor, Patel and number one glovesman in the country Chris Read plays for them.

Somerset have Jim Allenby though and Gayle and Anderson for the shorter formats and of course Alviro for the limited overs stuff.

Surrey have Dernbach and KP though, so as a neutral yeah its very hard too warm to them despite Kumar playing for them.
Alviro will be turning up for Lanky this year.

Virus and Ashwin in the Middle-order will be an ugly watch in my lowly opinion.

Jan should support Somerset of course, Championship win just around the corner and with the Overton's and Gregory the future of English pace bowling.