• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Semi Final - New Zealand v South Africa (24th March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Think the biggest shame about the weather is not that it skewed the result or anything, we can never know for sure, but that it cut short the chances of AB making one of his stupid hundreds in a semi-final.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Lol my bad he said the opposite
But seriously, Flem has just said something similar and that wasn't really the main point.

The main point was simply disagreeing with the general consensus that SA were being robbed by rain/DL. I even said that the DL score is about as even as we could possibly hope for it to be.

anil1405

International Captain
An astonishing mix of brilliance and bumbling in the field : THREE run-outs - Roussow could have lobbed it in and de Villiers had so much time to get Anderson that he didn't need to be hurtling to the stumps, then de Kock gets Elliot with a clean take, then de Villiers missing from short midwicket with Vettori backing up too far last ball of Steyn's penultimate over... plus the catch-collision... plus de Kock unable to stop two byes in the last over... Throw in the fact that whatever the rights or wrongs, the game certainly changed with the rain break an South Africans will be wondering if their curse lasts as long as the Red Sox.
The astonishing fielding outnumbered couple of errors. Any other team wouldn't have saved as many runs as Proteas did today.

Oh and the deKock miss wasn't really a miss. Elliott would've been home anyway.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But seriously, Flem has just said something similar and that wasn't really the main point.

The main point was simply disagreeing with the general consensus that SA were being robbed by rain/DL. I even said that the DL score is about as even as we could possibly hope for it to be.
Oh that's fine then... SA not being robbed by the D/L is a fair opinion. I just disagreed vehemently that 260 in 38 was harder than 350 in 50. That's all.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Oh that's fine then... SA not being robbed by the D/L is a fair opinion. I just disagreed vehemently that 260 in 38 was harder than 350 in 50. That's all.
probably got lost in the general bickering, but most of the people arguing with me - including NZ supporters - were of the opinion that SA were being robbed of runs because ABDV...Was so weird.

And then he only scored 5 or so runs after the break which was great, and Miller was actually the one to overperform. Kinda illustrated my point.

RossTaylorsBox

I still can't get over how many great moments and shifts in momentum this game had. Was a true tug of war. Incredible.
This is what made it for me. It wasn't like one team fought back from a hopeless position, it was pretty much neck-and-neck and every ball had something riding on it.

Flem274*

123/5
hmmm nah just as hard tbh. cbf working out the asking rate but with what we had (297 in 43) if SA scored 350 in an alternate universe i'd be seriously considering taking the extra 53 runs for an extra 7 overs.

in the end 300 from 43 was a fair ask and you back yourself to win a game if you have that total behind you most days.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
probably got lost in the general bickering, but most of the people arguing with me - including NZ supporters - were of the opinion that SA were being robbed of runs because ABDV...Was so weird.

And then he only scored 5 or so runs after the break which was great, and Miller was actually the one to overperform. Kinda illustrated my point.
It's not so much that they were robbed of runs, it's was just much better for us to be able to take the known quantity of DWL than deal with the likely possibility of 350+. It simplified the game for us by giving SA less chance to really take it out of our reach. Of course, it might not of happened that way, but it's easier to deal with.

RossTaylorsBox

I think Brendon did play a game changing inning. Good captain's knock.
Agreed, I don't understand why people want him to try to play more conservatively. He clearly needs that aggressive mindset to be able to bat well in the first place and he has confidence in the team to bring it home even if he gets out.