• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

12th Match - Afghanistan v Sri Lanka

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

James

Cricket Web Owner
Discussion surrounding the 12th Match of the World Cup between Afghanistan and Sri Lanka (University Oval, Dunedin).

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's looking more and more likely that Afghanistan's got the worst batting lineup in the competition. Will be pleasantly surprised if they manage to get close here.

_Ed_

Yeah, their bowlers are pretty good but there's only so much they can do.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Hopefully our top order batsmen can bat themselves into some form but Afghanistan do have some reasonable bowlers and our bowlers are gash so it won't be a walkover..

Tec15

First Class Debutant
It's looking more and more likely that Afghanistan's got the worst batting lineup in the competition. Will be pleasantly surprised if they manage to get close here.
Really? Not Scotland or the UAE? That conclusion after just one match, huh?

I think that this is part of the general underrating of the Bangladeshi bowling. Fits in line with posters here expecting an Afghan victory against Bangladesh and apparently considering it more likely than an Afghan victory over Scotland.

andmark

International Captain
I'm not sure many people really expected an Afghanistan win against Bangladesh, rather they hoped for it whilst knowing it wasn't in the realms of impossibility even though Bangladesh were more likely to win.

Last edited:

Daemon

Really? Not Scotland or the UAE? That conclusion after just one match, huh?

I think that this is part of the general underrating of the Bangladeshi bowling. Fits in line with posters here expecting an Afghan victory against Bangladesh and apparently considering it more likely than an Afghan victory over Scotland.
Err, not really.

They lost to the UAE in an ODI series despite having a superior bowling attack. I can't remember exactly but I think the UAE top and middle order fired more consistently than Afghanistan, who tended to have lots of useful contributions down the order, which makes me think that the UAE are better against good bowling. Worth noting that I said it looks 'likely', which means I'm not really sure either way.

Scotland are quite easily the better batting side, I honestly don't think there's any debate to be had with regards to that tbh.

Tec15

First Class Debutant
Scotland are quite easily the better batting side, I honestly don't think there's any debate to be had with regards to that tbh.
No Debate? None? Like at all? Huh.

BTW, I'm well aware of what happened in the tri series in the UAE, but I still expect Afghanistan to beat Scotland.

Daemon

No Debate? None? Like at all? Huh.

BTW, I'm well aware of what happened in the tri series in the UAE, but I still expect Afghanistan to beat Scotland.
Yeah, I think they'll win too, but it's pretty close imo. Still think Scotland have the better batting though.

Flem274*

123/5
Wait hang on have we found someone who rates Bangladeshi bowlers in this tournament not called Shakib or Mortaza?

A few have potential but the non-stars are collectively terrible, especially for ODIs down under.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Wait hang on have we found someone who rates Bangladeshi bowlers in this tournament not called Shakib or Mortaza?

A few have potential but the non-stars are collectively terrible, especially for ODIs down under.
Rubel is decent enough. The young quickie has a lot of potential and pretty much every Bangladeshi spinner ever has been at least part-time quality in ODIs.

Bangladesh isn't a bad ODI team. Reckon they're closer to Pak-WI than most realise.

anil1405

International Captain
Only way Afghans can ever sense an upper hand in this game is if they get rid of the Sri Lankan top order inside the first 10-15 overs.

cnerd123

likes this
BD are a good team. I'd back them on current form to win 50% of their games against Pak and WI. But these conditions really don't suit their bowlers. They were still too good for Afghanistan, which means SL's bowlers should be too good for them too.

SL to win this easily, but rooting for thr Afghanis.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Dushmantha Chameera bto run havoc among Afghans. Kid is quite nippy, and when gets it right bowls absolute jaffas.

BeeGee

International Captain
I'm expecting a one sided game. I rate SL very highly and expect them to go far in this tournament.

The best chance Afghanistan have would be to bowl first and take early poles. Tough task for them even then.

BeeGee

International Captain
Interesting to hear Jonathan Trott say Mike Hesson had a huge influence on his career when he coached him at Otago.

stumpski

International Captain
They really need to use an edited version of the Lankan anthem - that's three minutes I'll never get again.