• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Taylor or Williamson?

BCs Best Bat

• Taylor

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Williamson

Votes: 17 63.0%

• Total voters

Spark

Global Moderator
Smith
Tests 22 42 4 1535 138* 40.39
ODIs 42 31 4 677 101 25.07
T20Is 21 16 4 168 34 14.00

Root
Tests 22 40 6 1732 200* 50.94
ODIs 36 34 3 1131 113 36.48
T20Is 9 7 2 183 90* 36.60

Root>>>>>>>>>>Smith (10 arrows for the 10 point and more in the averages in tests, ODI and T20is (20 difference in T20s (S/R too))
Would take Smith over Root in Tests tbh.

Stace

First Class Debutant
Aren't those things played on spreadsheets though?
Stats don't lie, being serious yes Smith had a bad start and has improved significantly but now Root is batting at 5 there's nothing between them really.
Kane all the way though..

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Even if not converted the gap isnt anywhere near what was suggested on here a few months ago.

Flem274*

123/5
Ross will always have mega credit for being a diamond in the mud for the first five and a half years of his career, and if it wasn't for Taylor's performances during that time McCullum would still have a lot of work left to get his team to the point they are at now (but they would get there, just slower).

But Big Daddy Kane has arrived. I've said this before but Taylor will be remembered for his performances and importance to the side during the Dark Years rather than his statistics, and Williamson is going to be the ultimate goal rather than the prototype that Taylor was for raising the bar of New Zealand batsmen.

At the end of this year their test records will be neck and neck but Williamson will have done it in less games and with more consistency so he will be the best. Both are crucial to this team in such different ways. Kane is premium chocolate cake, McCullum pure sparkly cake and Taylor is somewhere between the two. We need all three.

Taylor is still ahead but the gap is closing fast.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone wondering whether Kane's insane brilliance in the last 2 years is maybe leaving Taylor feeling a little dejected and demotivated? It's well known that Taylor set himself the twin goals of finishing his career as New Zealand's greatest batsman, and scoring more hundreds than any other Kiwi. Now even though Kane is only the same age that Taylor was when he made his test debut, he already has 3000+ runs, has higher test and ODI averages, and 9 test hundreds. Taylor must know that KW will probably coast past Taylor's centuries tally whilst they're still playing together. Must be tough to adjust to if nothing else.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Anyone wondering whether Kane's insane brilliance in the last 2 years is maybe leaving Taylor feeling a little dejected and demotivated?
I had wondered how he felt going from NZ's premier batsman by a mile, to third after Kane and BMac (even if the latter's form is very temporary). Perhaps this has robbed him of some self-belief even if he isn't actually getting worse as a batsman (it was only recently he got 3 consecutive ODI hundreds).

Flem274*

123/5
Taylor also has a habit of only waking up when the team is ****ed. I posted the numbers ages ago but cbf finding them, but basically at that point in time all of his centuries happened when he came in with the score less than three figures. That and he often only turned up for the big series (England, India, Australia, Sri Lanka away, Pakistan here etc).

Now the team is getting better starts maybe he just doesn't click.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Not saying you're wrong, but you'd hope it would motivate him not demotivate him... Obviously not everyone is the same and people get motivated by different things, but I'd be disappointed if he's playing worse because Kane is playing better.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Don't mistake me for supporting Blocky's "lazy kfc eating ****" argument, but from everything we've seen so far in his career Taylor appears to be an extrinsically motivated player. In a straight up regular running race he'll come middle of the pack, but put a hungry tiger behind him he becomes the fastest man on earth.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Think you guys are reading a bit much into this.

When we go to England and Australia Rossco will again be our premier batsman.

Right now Kane is godly in the way he paces his innings - he used to struggle with constructing big scores but now he's the best in the team at it.

Taylor is still a better batsman though. Put him up against Broad or Harris and see what happens.

Flem274*

123/5
I have no idea why you keep using the failings of Spud Kane pace as evidence he will fail again as Big Daddy Kane tbh. Spud Kane failed against everyone, that's why he was averaging less than 30.

And even Spud Kane scored a match saving ton against South Africa, which shows he is capable. I don't think he will dominate England or Australia because their bowling is too good to be dominated, but he's not going to be a hack either.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For me, Williamson already has his nose in front & of course will go on to be have a miles better record by the time their respective careers have finished.

Totally different batsmen btw,

Ross is very much a hand-eye player who generally needs a decent amount of luck to survive early on due to uncertain foot work (at the start of his innings) & his propensity to push & prod with hard hands, but once in, he can obviously be devastating.

Kane on the other hand is a proper old fashioned classical Test batsman - one of the few going around who rarely looks in trouble even at the start of his innings. About the only weakness he has (which is actually also his strength), is sometimes playing through the off-side a little early in his innings. But, generally his feet are moving beautifully from ball 1, which is rarely the case with Ross.

I'd take Kane to bat for my life any day of the week over Ross these days. I would not have said this in 2013, but wouldn't even think twice about it now.

To those suggesting Taylor may be unmotivated by Kane's success, I very much doubt that would be the case & would be massively disappointed if he really was that petty and envious of a team-mate, I think instead he's as excited & delighted about Kane as we all are.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
He's not going to be a hack, but Taylor will be better.
It's certainly true that Taylor's biggest weakness in recent times - spinners who take the ball away form him - won't be an issue in England or Australia. Still, Taylor will need to cut out his side-on **** and get a better grip on where his off stump is if he's to out perform Kane in England. Don't forget that Williamson now has a lot more experience of playing in English conditions than Taylor does.

Flem274*

123/5
Taylor will do what he always does - play some brilliant innings but also have his fair share of failures because he takes a while to get everything moving.

The only times I remember him being consistent are England 2008 home and away, Pakistan down here where he got that string of 50s and 90s, and of course the three tons in a row.

Getting started is an issue several of our batsmen have (Taylor, McCullum, Watling).