• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official**** Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2014/2015

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
If McCullum doesn't scape together 31 runs in the boxing day test to be first Kiwi to get 1000 in a calendar year, I'll just, I'll just...fall over and start making honking noises.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
If McCullum doesn't scape together 31 runs in the boxing day test to be first Kiwi to get 1000 in a calendar year, I'll just, I'll just...fall over and start making honking noises.
In the top 10 run scorers this year, there are four Sri Lankans. Jimmy Neesham has more runs than Taylor, and Anderson for that matter.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
The questions

Sri Lanka

-Can Karu get past 40?
-How hard will life without Mahela be? Does Mathews move to number four?
-Should they play to their strengths and pick two spinners, or do you back the pacemen?
-Which pacemen play?
-Sangakkara should be all class as per usual, but how does Herath adapt and can he do it?
- Sure
- I suspect Matthews will bat at five and Thirimanne will come in and bat 4, life without Mahela will be tough, his leadership and sporadic brilliance outside the SC was loved by all.
- Our second spinner is not a genuine strength atm, Perera is poor and the rest are inexperienced, no way should we go two spinners
- Prasad and Lakmal to take the new pill and Eranga to bowl first change, Matthews to provide some other overs. I suspect Pradeep is next in line, and Gamage will probably come on tour with the squad.
- Herath will probably suffer from poor fielding/luck a fair bit, but he'll look to tie down the scoring, target the front pad and wait for a mistake to be made, not really much he can do to force the issue when conditions don't suit him, he prays on mistakes and poor technique.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Ah damn, I was kind of hoping Pradeep would make the XI. That spell I watched on a green Pallekele pitch against NZA was visceral and kippaxy tstl.

I was hoping he'd be the Ishant of 2014/15, thriving as a 'rocks or diamonds' rogue in modern NZ conditions.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
The selectors love him unconditionally, he could well still make it, I remember in England he got out-bowled by Prasad in the warm-up quite comprehensively but he got picked ahead of him anyway

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why do Two test series even exist? The minimum seriously needs to be three.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
I'm not seeing a good tour for Sanga. He struggles against left arm pace and Boult in these conditions is as good a left armer as you'll get.
Thats like saying Taylor struggles against leggies, or Brendon McCullum struggles against left arm orthodox.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
It's going to be the series for Mathews. If NZ fail to field a decent spinner tha will be pplaying in to his hands. Mathews can rip open fast attacks when set. Having said that NZ has a superb fast bowling unit better than England. Fingers crossed to see how he performs. Sanga will score his customary big hundred in one of the innings.

Sri lankan bowling looks bright especially on helpful conditions. Eranga is the real deal here. If Prasad gets it right he will take a lot of wickets. Not even the god knows how much filth he is going to bowl in between.

Going to be an interesting series. Too much green tracks will reduce the gulf of two fast attacks.

Howsie

International Captain
New Zealand
-Will Baz continue to open and if so, who bats at five?
Nope, he'll drop back down I reckon

-If Baz doesn't open, who does?
Dean Brownlie, left/right combination

-Do you pick Anderson or Neesham?
Anderson

-Craig or Sodhi in NZ conditions? Or four pacers?
Have to go with Craig now, decent number eight too.

-Does Wagner return, or do you look to Bracewell, Henry or even a bolter like Milne?
If not Henry I wouldn't mind seeing Milne tbh.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
new zealand
-will baz continue to open and if so, who bats at five?
Nope, he'll drop back down i reckon

-if baz doesn't open, who does?
Dean brownlie, left/right combination

-do you pick anderson or neesham?
Anderson

-craig or sodhi in nz conditions? Or four pacers?
Have to go with craig now, decent number eight too.

-does wagner return, or do you look to bracewell, henry or even a bolter like milne?
If not henry i wouldn't mind seeing milne tbh.
awta

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Hopefully we get to see one of Henry or Milne in action for the BCs soon. We'd have close to the meanest bowling unit going around if we had one more player of Southee or Boult's quality.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Hopefully we get to see one of Henry or Milne in action for the BCs soon. We'd have close to the meanest bowling unit going around if we had one more player of Southee or Boult's quality.
If Wagner can regain his form from the 2nd half of last summer then we already do.

Flem274*

123/5
If his domestic career is an indicator then Wagner might always be up and down. His overall Plunket statistics hide the fact he would have periods of not bowling to the standard Otago would like before being offered up a nice soft belly we call "Wellington" who would get him into form and then he would cruise around in top form for ages being a test class bowler.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
If Wagner can regain his form from the 2nd half of last summer then we already do.
Sort of agree, but the key word is if. I rate Wagner but feel his ultimate potential, despite his efforts, is fairly limited, at least in comparison to where Henry or Milne might be in a year or two.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Some interesting developments as Sri Lanka name their test squad

Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2014-15 : Tharanga dropped for New Zealand Tests | Cricket News | New Zealand v Sri Lanka | ESPN Cricinfo

As much as I'm happy to be rid of him Tharanga really didn't deserve to lose his spot on the back of the home summer he had, but nor did Karunaratne in the first place so whatever, hopefully the change means we can get off to solid starts once again but this will be by far the toughest challenge yet for this opening pair IMO.

Looks like Herath mightn't play the first test, on the one hand he's pulled a hammy and he also has 'personal reasons', that's pretty alarming but I'm glad to see Tharindu Kaushal in the squad, he has a doosra apparently. Also glad to see Prasanna Jayawardene there, looks like him, Chandiguns and ****wella are all competing for the same spot

Flem274*

123/5
Karu, Silva, Sanga, Mathews, Thirimanne, Chandimal, Prasaana, Herath (if fit), Prasad, Lakmal, Eranga

Have Sri Lanka only brought four pacemen on tour? That's brave given the injury histories of the main three.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Looks like the ideal XI, and yeah, we've brought some uncapped bloke along as well but those 3 and Pradeep are it, for two tests they should manage tbh