• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is New Zealand a better side than Australia at the moment?

Niall

International Coach
I've never been able to say this in my 20 years of following cricket, but I think we would beat Aussie if we played a series against them at home or at a neutral venue.

I say this not just because of the difference in recent results vs. Pakistan in the UAE (although this is a major factor). But it seems to me that we have a slight edge on the Aussies right now.
Agreed.

So what if Australia beat England 5-0 and went to South Africa and won a series against them. New Zealand would have hammered them. I mean if you can smack around Talha, surely Vern, Steyn and Morkel would be a piece of piss?

Achieve something more in test cricket than beating a rubbish West Indies side, a distracted Pakistan team with loads of players out and then ,maybe the likes of Australia and South Africa will consider you a genuine threat.

A lot of talent and potential in the NZ side and which is pleasing not to many old lads unlike Australia but this type of thread is way to premature.

Lets not forget Lanka beat a better Pakistan side in the UAE this year as well, last test was a fine result but you shouldn't get carried away.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The point is not that we smacked Talha around, it's that we smacked Yasir and Zulfiqar around, and moreover we won after bowling first.

Sri Lanka winning in the UAE is not as big as an achievement given a) they have the best spinner in the world b) they have the best batsman in the world in these conditions and c) the conditions are closer to their home conditions.

The reason we have to have threads like this is that NZ barely ever plays Australia. That's why we have to pontificate. The last series the two sides played was drawn 1-1, but both sides have changed vastly since then. So it's a reasonable question.

Niall

International Coach
The point is not that we smacked Talha around, it's that we smacked Yasir and Zulfiqar around, and moreover we won after bowling first.

Sri Lanka winning in the UAE is not as big as an achievement given a) they have the best spinner in the world b) they have the best batsman in the world in these conditions and c) the conditions are closer to their home conditions.

The reason we have to have threads like this is that NZ barely ever plays Australia. That's why we have to pontificate. The last series the two sides played was drawn 1-1, but both sides have changed vastly since then. So it's a reasonable question.
Its a fair point about Lanka, but they had to deal with Ajmal and Junaid who are both much superior than any of the bowling options on show for Pakistan. Also pretty sure Masood did not open against Lanka and he is abysmal. He may develop, but that was a huge plus for NZ that he came in instead of someone else.

I'd want to see NZ in South Africa/ England first before I can really judge them to be honest. Its actually a shame they are only getting two tests when next summer a Pakistan team with Younis on his last legs and Misbah retired will play four. Well done ECB on that.

If combined Australia/ NZ

Openers

Warner
Latham
Kane
Clarke
Smith
Watson
Haddin
Mitch
Harris
Southee
Lyon.

Feel bad to leave out Taylor, but that is the only one that I thought to much about.

Wasn't massively impressed by Boult in the UAE series, but he does have time on his side and unlike most Aussie bowlers does not get injured all the time.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Watling > Haddin
Taylor would also fit in for one of either Smith or Watson in that line up after his last 2 years. I'd say it's definitely a position that would be up for grabs depending on form.

Howsie

International Captain
Is New Zealand just an absolute non draw over in Australia?

It's been nigh on six years since we last played a ODI series over there (which is just ridiculous AFAIC). But to see Pakistan pick up four tests next summer while New Zealand get thrown a token two is just insane.

Niall

International Coach
Watling > Haddin
Taylor would also fit in for one of either Smith or Watson in that line up after his last 2 years. I'd say it's definitely a position that would be up for grabs depending on form.
Watson gets in for his all rounder factor though. Taylor and Smith is close, but runs against South Africa (number one test side) and England (better than the sides NZ have beat) count for a little more than anything Taylor has done.

Not saying Taylor is rubbish, far from it and this could be a purple patch for Smith and nothing more, but right now I take Smith over him.

Not impressed by glovework of Watling in the UAE tour.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Either they destroy us in which case it's a boring one sided affair and no-one watches or if we win then it's a national embarrassment so no one watches.

Howsie

International Captain
Watson gets in for his all rounder factor though. Taylor and Smith is close, but runs against South Africa (number one test side) and England (better than the sides NZ have beat) count for a little more than anything Taylor has done.

Not saying Taylor is rubbish, far from it and this could be a purple patch for Smith and nothing more, but right now I take Smith over him.

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cricket-chat/64050-just-how-underrated-ross-taylor.html

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Its a fair point about Lanka, but they had to deal with Ajmal and Junaid who are both much superior than any of the bowling options on show for Pakistan. Also pretty sure Masood did not open against Lanka and he is abysmal. He may develop, but that was a huge plus for NZ that he came in instead of someone else.

I'd want to see NZ in South Africa/ England first before I can really judge them to be honest. Its actually a shame they are only getting two tests when next summer a Pakistan team with Younis on his last legs and Misbah retired will play four. Well done ECB on that.

If combined Australia/ NZ

Openers

Warner
Latham
Kane
Clarke
Smith
Watson
Haddin
Mitch
Harris
Southee
Lyon.

Feel bad to leave out Taylor, but that is the only one that I thought to much about.

Wasn't massively impressed by Boult in the UAE series, but he does have time on his side and unlike most Aussie bowlers does not get injured all the time.
It's very frustrating not to play more matches against Aus/England/SA, especially right now that we're actually good.

That team's not too far off but Watling>Haddin and Taylor is quite a bit better than Smith.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member

Watling is a better keeper and batsman than Haddin. The UAE tour was an anomaly as far as his glove work is concerned - he's been excellent.

Taylor has scored a century against Johnson and Harris on a Hamilton green top, a century in England while the rest of the team was crumbling, as well as centuries in India and Sri Lanka against the best spinners in the world. He's miles more accomplished than Smith tbh.

Last edited:

Antihippy

International Debutant
Better batting side for sure, especially with Baz in the form that he's in currently. Australia pretty much only have warner and smith for any sort of reliability currently.

Aus bowling attack >>> NZ bowling attack though.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Better batting side for sure, especially with Baz in the form that he's in currently. Australia pretty much only have warner and smith for any sort of reliability currently.

It feels so weird having this said about a NZ side

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is New Zealand just an absolute non draw over in Australia?

It's been nigh on six years since we last played a ODI series over there (which is just ridiculous AFAIC). But to see Pakistan pick up four tests next summer while New Zealand get thrown a token two is just insane.
Yeah they've never really drawn big crowds for tests over here AFAICR. Mind you, neither has Pakistan. The 4:2 split does seem weird. Given NZ has been a pretty good ODI side for a while now, they should play here more often, though the Chappell-Hadlee got canned a few yars back now. Worth bringing back I wonder?

Riggins

International Captain
Yeah when it's Pakistan you'd think it should be a 3/3 split.

We'll win 6-0 regardless, though.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Watling is a better keeper and batsman than Haddin. The UAE tour was an anomaly as far as his glove work is concerned - he's been excellent.

Taylor has scored a century against Johnson and Harris on a Hamilton green top, a century in England while the rest of the team was crumbling, as well as centuries in India and Sri Lanka against the best spinners in the world. He's miles more accomplished than Smith tbh.
I think Watling may just not be used to keeping against spin to that extent.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Not in NZ though. Would be more like Aus = NZ or just slightly edging us with better bowling beyond the new ball pair.

Southee and Boult have been immense in home conditions.