• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan v New Zealand in the UAE 2014

Athlai

Not Terrible
The thing is that I'm always right and Flem is always wrong. And I think Lakmal will do well in our conditions. And Flem thinks he's the worst bowler in the world.

Which sets him up to have a spectacular series, especially with Unnamed Sacrificial Opener set to play (sup, Uso) and McHesson to ask for green pitches.
Lakmal may do well in our conditions but that doesn't mean we'll roll over for him.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rankings arguments are always pretty subjective. So here is an easier question - has another test team had a better 2014 than NZ?
Screenshot4.png

SL knocked up the most wins (but played 3 tests more than NZ), but Australia & NZ shared the highest winning percentage. (assuming we discount the WI for their 2-0 win over bang);

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Lakmal may do well in our conditions but that doesn't mean we'll roll over for him.
Well we very nearly rolled over for Ishant Sharma and India were a decent spinner away from nailing us. Herath>>>>>>>Jadeja.

/Bahnz' half empty glass.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I keep forgetting that SL won a test in the UAE. Hmmm, maybe I'm underrating them slightly.
The primary difference is that Sri Lanka has the best spinner in the world in their side, and a host of batsmen used to playing in dry, spinning conditions. In my opinion, given the makeup of their side, drawing a test series in New Zealand would be a bigger achievement than drawing a series in the UAE.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Disagree with that. He won't be as dangerous no, but he's in a class of his own and miles better than the likes of Jadeja, Shillingford and Narine, the latter two whom we struggled against.

We're still favourites of course.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The primary difference is that Sri Lanka has the best spinner in the world in their side, and a host of batsmen used to playing in dry, spinning conditions. In my opinion, given the makeup of their side, drawing a test series in New Zealand would be a bigger achievement than drawing a series in the UAE.
They won a series in England. That's huge.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Basically, if we produce seamy roads like the at Eden Park earlier this year then I think we'll win the SRL series and hopefully win it well. But if Hesson overdoes it on the advice to the groundsmen and we get another Wellington style greentop, then that risks making things into much more of a lottery. Sri Lanka could beat us if they win the toss and stick us in on a batsman's nightmare of a surface.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
One thing about SL is that their leadership is far stronger than India's or Windies or England's. They won't complain about conditions or luck and won't bowl short like those 3 did then wonder why they're not taking wickets. They won't buckle at the slightest sign of things not going right for them and they won't give up positions of dominance as easily.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Herath won't be a huge threat but he'll be able to block up and end and still take advantage of any batsmen who try to do silly things against him. I think Prasad holds the key in many ways, he is pretty dangerous with his pace and movement off the deck and we'll be relying on him to be our strike weapon, if he fires a couple of times and takes a few quick wickets the rest of the attack are largely stayers who can do a job all day and with some assistance off the pitch can hopefully pick off the rest of the order.

As for the batting Kuashal Silva and (if he plays) Sanga are vital, both can do it tough against decent fast bowling and with Sanga just finding his mojo again in the ODIs hopefully he's right to go in NZ, of course Matthews is probably the game breaker in NZ, arguably the best player of pace/movement in the team and in the form of his life. Thirimanne will probably get another shot in the test team and he is probably a better player of pace than spin, but hard to say how he'll go because he has the ability to do well but often looks short of confidence and form at test level.

NZ should win, but if Sri Lanka win the right tosses and execute well then look out

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
They won a series in England. That's huge.
Yes it was, but 3 things:

a) Sri Lanka played the tests in June rather than May, and after an ODI series, so their players had a lot more opportunity to acclimatise than most recent early season touring sides, and the pitches were a lot flatter and dryer than you usually get for the "entree" tests;

b) Sri Lanka couldn't have possibly hoped for a better time to play England at home. New Zealand are a better team than the England side that SRL faced;

c) Mahela is gone now.

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
One thing about SL is that their leadership is far stronger than India's or Windies or England's. They won't complain about conditions or luck and won't bowl short like those 3 did then wonder why they're not taking wickets. They won't buckle at the slightest sign of things not going right for them and they won't give up positions of dominance as easily.
I'm a little concerned in this department now that Mahela is gone, I think he was really helping Matthews when it got tough at times and it remains to be seen how well Matthews holds up without him now

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah.

The discipline SL have shown will mean we won't have a Peter Fulton come in and score. It'll be up to our good players to win the matches.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Craig to practice opening for the next month.

Then we can go with

Latham
Craig
Williamson
Taylor
McCullum
Anderson
Watling (+)
Southee
Wagner
Boult

+whatever else we need (yes I'm aware thats an opener)

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah.

The discipline SL have shown will mean we won't have a Peter Fulton come in and score. It'll be up to our good players to win the matches.
This, our bowlers aren't good enough to rip through a decent batting line-up but they aren't pushovers and they'll stick to their guns