• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan v New Zealand in the UAE 2014

Flem274*

123/5
Anyway, might as well post it here. May have said it already but I forgot.

I despise the way it came about, but I was wrong. Brendon McCullum is the right man for the captaincy. He's gone from nearing passenger territory to ridiculously good. He's running around fielding things, batting for a million hours as a stone waller, an accumulator and as the aggressor he was always touted as and making tactical decisions with a back that would earn him a one way ticket to a hole behind the shed if he was a horse. The captaincy has brought out something in him I think we all knew might be there but had lost hope of ever seeing.

His greatest achievement though is uniting a team that loves a good falling out after one of its beloved fall outs and helping that team believe it can win games. Taylor built a foundation but McCullum pulled the team from 45 all out and the shadow a pissed off best player who wasn't sure if he wanted to play anymore into a consistently good outfit.

And now despite the team not even wanting to be playing this series anymore, he's been at the forefront of breaking the UAE fortress.

Hesson is also the right man for the job. Again, his involvement in the Taylor saga where let's be honest, it was his word against Taylor's and considering the circumstances he was likely caught telling porkies, was dire and exposed him for acting like a bit of a **** during that period but I've always liked his carefully planned and methodical style. I don't agree with half of his tactical quirks and I think we've gotten away with it to date through other players in the team being awesome but what separates him from previous coaches is his emphasis on preparation, his attention to detail and bringing in the right people to do the nitty gritty batting/bowling coaching. So while three spinners, the Devcich love etc is irritating, we've gone from coaches who offer up "we batted like dicks" to someone who actually digs a bit deeper.

Plus, while I slammed him for the mess he made during the Taylor saga, Ross has come back into the fold and there hasn't been a similar incident since. I don't know whether the captaincy saga was a cynical move or a man management screw up of epic proportions but Hesson has had some tricky situations on his plate (like this test) since then and nothing has exploded. Credit to him.

But just in case you think I've bought into sunshine and daisies, I assure you David White is still a ****.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Anyway, might as well post it here. May have said it already but I forgot.

I despise the way it came about, but I was wrong. Brendon McCullum is the right man for the captaincy. He's gone from nearing passenger territory to ridiculously good. He's running around fielding things, batting for a million hours as a stone waller, an accumulator and as the aggressor he was always touted as and making tactical decisions with a back that would earn him a one way ticket to a hole behind the shed if he was a horse. The captaincy has brought out something in him I think we all knew might be there but had lost hope of ever seeing.

His greatest achievement though is uniting a team that loves a good falling out after one of its beloved fall outs and helping that team believe it can win games. Taylor built a foundation but McCullum pulled the team from 45 all out and the shadow a pissed off best player who wasn't sure if he wanted to play anymore into a consistently good outfit.

And now despite the team not even wanting to be playing this series anymore, he's been at the forefront of breaking the UAE fortress.

Hesson is also the right man for the job. Again, his involvement in the Taylor saga where let's be honest, it was his word against Taylor's and considering the circumstances he was likely caught telling porkies, was dire and exposed him for acting like a bit of a **** during that period but I've always liked his carefully planned and methodical style. I don't agree with half of his tactical quirks and I think we've gotten away with it to date through other players in the team being awesome but what separates him from previous coaches is his emphasis on preparation, his attention to detail and bringing in the right people to do the nitty gritty batting/bowling coaching. So while three spinners, the Devcich love etc is irritating, we've gone from coaches who offer up "we batted like dicks" to someone who actually digs a bit deeper.

Plus, while I slammed him for the mess he made during the Taylor saga, Ross has come back into the fold and there hasn't been a similar incident since. I don't know whether the captaincy saga was a cynical move or a man management screw up of epic proportions but Hesson has had some tricky situations on his plate (like this test) since then and nothing has exploded. Credit to him.

But just in case you think I've bought into sunshine and daisies, I assure you David White is still a ****.
Yeah AWTA. Full credit to Hesson, Baz and selectors et al, keeping nearly the same XI for the whole series, going so far as to playing 3 spinners, actually paid off in the end.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Ross for ever, Hesson never.

But yes Brendon has improved in the last 6-12 months. I think, like with any captaincy, he went through a learning curve where he wouldn't take the right risks or set the right declarations and showed too much bravado (such as batting first against SA in SA) - he also initially had an obsession with the position formally known as short cover but now simply known as "go there" and the player knows what he means.

I am Ross's biggest fan but if I had to be captained by someone while we are on the bad end of a 500 run inning I would rather be in Brendon's team. He is frequently trying things and playing with the field and at least you wouldn't get bored as a fielder or have the feeling that the captain has run out of ideas.

Hesson has poor morals and while he may have served us well there are more important things than winning.

I think Brendon is a fine gentleman and he could have run Ross out of the team by being unwelcoming to him after Ross-Gate but there was none of that. That was good leadership.

I think the team is going great guns though so all concerned including Hesson must be competent individuals.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
It's Eranga or bust for Sri Lanka. He's the threat in the pace attack.
Did you watch Prasad in England? If that guy gets going again even just once or twice he's our best shot at ripping through the top 4 - which is going to be the biggest challenge, Prasad has been playing the role of 'impact' bowler recently and doing it pretty well, I think we all expect Eranga and Lakmal to be pretty steady 2/50 off 20 overs kind of guys so I think a lot depends on Prasad tbh

Flem274*

123/5
Did you watch Prasad in England? If that guy gets going again even just once or twice he's our best shot at ripping through the top 4 - which is going to be the biggest challenge, Prasad has been playing the role of 'impact' bowler recently and doing it pretty well, I think we all expect Eranga and Lakmal to be pretty steady 2/50 off 20 overs kind of guys so I think a lot depends on Prasad tbh
Eranga has been good lots though. We don't know whether Prasad has turned a corner or had his 15 minutes of fame.

Eranga is several classes above the rest of the Sri Lankan pace attack and can make quick strikes. New Zealand should suit his full swing style too.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Prasad was pretty encouraging back home in Sri Lanka against Pakistan, took early poles pretty consistently and then let Herath take over, my hope is he'll do the same in NZ and then let Eranga/Lakmal take over,

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
On to ODI series; Baz, Boult, Southee sent home to rest. I'd love to see:

1. Latham
2. Guptill
3. Williamson*
4. Taylor
5. Anderson
6. Ronchi+
7. Neesham
8. Vettori
9. Milne
10. McClenaghan
11. Henry

Bit of a tail. Bit wayward. Bit expensive. All ***eh.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Ross for ever, Hesson never.

But yes Brendon has improved in the last 6-12 months. I think, like with any captaincy, he went through a learning curve where he wouldn't take the right risks or set the right declarations and showed too much bravado (such as batting first against SA in SA) - he also initially had an obsession with the position formally known as short cover but now simply known as "go there" and the player knows what he means.

I am Ross's biggest fan but if I had to be captained by someone while we are on the bad end of a 500 run inning I would rather be in Brendon's team. He is frequently trying things and playing with the field and at least you wouldn't get bored as a fielder or have the feeling that the captain has run out of ideas.

Hesson has poor morals and while he may have served us well there are more important things than winning.

I think Brendon is a fine gentleman and he could have run Ross out of the team by being unwelcoming to him after Ross-Gate but there was none of that. That was good leadership.

I think the team is going great guns though so all concerned including Hesson must be competent individuals.
Ross can't have three biggest fans. We need to figure this thing out.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, it still can't be denied that this quote beautifully sums up New Zealand's collective batting efforts from November 2007 to November 2012.

Anyway, agreed on Baz. He now occupies spots 2 and 4 on my totally not bull**** all time top 5 NZ test innings list

Bert Sutcliffe 80* v SAF 1953
Brendon McCullum 302 v IND 2014
Martin Crowe 188 v WID 1985
Brendon McCullum 202 v PAK 2014
Nathan Astle 222 v ENG 2002

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha, it still can't be denied that this quote beautifully sums up New Zealand's collective batting efforts from November 2007 to November 2012.

Anyway, agreed on Baz. He now occupies spots 2 and 4 on my totally not bull**** all time top 5 NZ test innings list

Bert Sutcliffe 80* v SAF 1953
Brendon McCullum 302 v IND 2014
Martin Crowe 188 v WID 1985
Brendon McCullum 202 v PAK 2014
Nathan Astle 222 v ENG 2002
Is Sutcliffe's the best of the 5 or the worst?

BeeGee

International Captain
On to ODI series; Baz, Boult, Southee sent home to rest. I'd love to see:

1. Latham
2. Guptill
3. Williamson*
4. Taylor
5. Anderson
6. Ronchi+
7. Neesham
8. Vettori
9. Milne
10. McClenaghan
11. Henry

Bit of a tail. Bit wayward. Bit expensive. All ***eh.
No *** please, we're kiwis.

Need Mills in there so the commentators can use the term "workman like".

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone else notice that Mark Craig now has a higher test batting ranking than Corey Anderson? Waddaplaya!!!

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Back onto the imported Australian soil at the ICC Academy. Footage starts in the 35th over, so that would be reverse for Milne.