• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan v New Zealand in the UAE 2014

Flem274*

123/5
depends how fast the turn is. with slow turn you can get away with pitching a tent on the back foot more. fast turn makes that tactic a big risk.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
depends how fast the turn is. with slow turn you can get away with pitching a tent on the back foot more. fast turn makes that tactic a big risk.
Our Prem side has a leggie and when I press forward to him I get our every ball. My only chance is to hover on the back foot.

In my grade against guys who can't turn it much then I can plant forward.

Warner for those like you who think he has a good technique doesn't over commit to the front foot.

Some peeps give back foot batting a bad name like Dean Brownlie for instance so you can over do it. And you can't exclusively go back.

As a former off spinner my response was to bowl my top spinner which skidded on.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
It's just about being very decisive with your feet against spinners, if you go back get right back, if you go forward get there on the half volley

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
We need 433 runs. If we tick along at 3s for the next 134 overs, we'd end up only needing 30 more runs somewhere*

* of course, wickets

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
is it just me or does baz drive more classically now than he did a few years ago?
Yeah there used to be a lot of ugly bottom-handedness in his offside drives; he pretty much just biffed a lot of his shots through cover and mid off. Much better on the eyes these days.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
It's just about being very decisive with your feet against spinners, if you go back get right back, if you go forward get there on the half volley
Indeed the wicket taking ball (this is an over simplification) comes through about knee height when the batsman presses forward because it has time to spin before impact. If you can hit in on the half volley then sure get forward. If not then ideally you need to chip down the pitch and drive it for a single or like you say actually go back.

Another advantage of going back is that it encourages the bowler to over pitch and then if you know how to skip down the wicket you are in business.