• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan v New Zealand in the UAE 2014

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Like i said...Pakistan will only be seriously challenged by India, SL and WI in their own backyard purely because of the spin talent these sides have...without decent spinners you really haven't got much chance here...good spinners can turn their 500 first innings totals into a 320 or there abouts and then it becomes a totally different ball game.
England took 2 good spinners in 2012 (who bowled very well) and still got thumped...........your batsmen have also got to be able to play spin.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
England took 2 good spinners in 2012 (who bowled very well) and still got thumped...........your batsmen have also got to be able to play spin.
Which the Windies clearly can't given how easily they gave away their wickets to Craig.

Blocky

Banned
He has a wife and kids man.
And what? There are tonnes of professional people out there with a wife and family who do the graft to ensure they're performing at their potential. Other players take their families with them - Michael Hussey comes to mind as someone who played a lot of off season cricket to get himself fit.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I'm just saying that it's not a unilateral decision. He can't just do what's best for his career in the way that Williamson, Latham, Anderson and Neesham can. He has other considerations to make.

It might be fine for Michael Hussey but everyone is different.

Blocky

Banned
I'm just saying that it's not a unilateral decision. He can't just do what's best for his career in the way that Williamson, Latham, Anderson and Neesham can. He has other considerations to make.

It might be fine for Michael Hussey but everyone is different.
Or - Taylor is excessively lazy and only gets motivated once in a blue moon, where in which he morphs into a world beating batsman. i.e when he came back post being dropped from captaincy and had worked hard on his test game. Where is that Taylor now?

Blocky

Banned
That's a completely unjustifiable position to take.
Not really considering it's one that's repeatedly thrown around in circles - Taylor will only ever put in the work when he feels he has to prove something. Outside of that, he coasts on his talent.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Like i said...Pakistan will only be seriously challenged by India, SL and WI in their own backyard purely because of the spin talent these sides have...without decent spinners you really haven't got much chance here...good spinners can turn their 500 first innings totals into a 320 or there abouts and then it becomes a totally different ball game.

Apart from Craig's debut in the caribbean it's been been quite evident that if you see off Southee and Boult you're likely to have your way with NZ and that's proven to be the case thus far for Pakistan.
You had to put the Windies in there didn't you. 8-)

You also left out RSA.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think they are; I think you just think they are. You probably say them differently without even thinking about it.

I'd record myself saying Latham their way and the proper way and upload it but I get the feeling no-one really cares. :p
I care.

They're saying "lathe-am" rather than latham.

the difference between "Geez" and "cheese" is similar. One carries the voicing through the consonant, the other doesn't.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Not sure.We are only going to know if they have the same success away from home.
If this game was played in nz the situation would be the same just swap the teams around. Im not sure what the benefits are having a top order that only preforms at home after winning the toss, it doesn't suggest long term success at all.
Spending time with Younis and Misbah in the middle is invaluable experience. They might not play the moving ball very well in RSA or England, but at least they will know how to pace an innings, not play stupid shots, and grind out a mammoth total.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I care.

the difference between "Geez" and "cheese" is similar. One carries the voicing through the consonant, the other doesn't.
Yes exactly.

I think the best example is the difference between "teeth" and "teethe". If they don't pronounce those words the same way -- and I highly doubt they do -- then it's a matter of mispronunciation rather than accent.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I care.

Eat the cheese, Nicholson. Eat the ****ing cheeeeeeese.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway this match so far represents a reversion to a bad old NZ that we haven't seen for a few series. It's not that we're losing, it's the sloppiness, mental frailty and general appearance of being lost that is galling, particularly from senior players. Our preparation for this series hasn't been great but that's no real excuse. With this match all but gone we need to completely refocus before the second test.

Pakistan have also been excellent where we might have expected them to be more profligate. Flat track or no, their batsmen did not gift us anything, which is an obvious contrast to many of ours. Their spinners have been testing as expected, but Rahat Ali bowling quickly, accurately and getting that much reverse was more of a surprise.

Frost

U19 Debutant
Yea come on WW,west indies wouldn't be doing much better than oz or nz in the same circumstances. Nz did beat WI home and away

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway this match so far represents a reversion to a bad old NZ that we haven't seen for a few series. It's not that we're losing, it's the sloppiness, mental frailty and general appearance of being lost that is galling, particularly from senior players. Our preparation for this series hasn't been great but that's no real excuse. With this match all but gone we need to completely refocus before the second test.
Pakistan have also been excellent where we might have expected them to be more profligate. Flat track or no, their batsmen did not gift us anything, which is an obvious contrast to many of ours. Their spinners have been testing as expected, but Rahat Ali bowling quickly, accurately and getting that much reverse was more of a surprise.
Wow - I thought 260 odd was a reasonable effort based on some of the deliveries from the spinners I saw before I went to bed. From the wickets I saw only Williamson will be kicking himself. Ross is always vulnerable early doors to left arm spin.

I guess we must have played poorly in the final sessions.