• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan v New Zealand in the UAE 2014

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
They're the same in my accent
They're the same in the Pakistani/Indian accent as well.
I don't think they are; I think you just think they are. You probably say them differently without even thinking about it.

wikipedia said:
In English, the digraph th represents in most cases one of two different phonemes: the voiced dental fricative /ð/ (as in this) and the voiceless dental fricative /θ/ (thing).
Pronunciation of this - how to pronounce this correctly.
Pronunciation of think - how to pronounce think correctly.

I'd record myself saying Latham their way and the proper way and upload it but I get the feeling no-one really cares. :p

BeeGee

International Captain
Pathetic. After 3 days of the test match only one NZ player has provided a positive contribution. Piss weak effort, NZ.

NOTE: The 'th' in pathetic should be pronounced like 'thing', not 'this'.

Last edited:

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
These tests in the UAE have received a lot of criticism and negativity due to them being one-sided (so far) and the pitches being roads. It is also a fair criticism to say that on lively pitches, these same Pak batsmen would collapse and post poor totals. However, what has been useful from a Pakistani perspective is the confidence and experience these matches will give to guys like Azhar, Shafiq, Shehzad and Sarfraz. Younis and Misbah aren't going to last long and Pak has to build a strong team after they retire, so the experience these guys are getting in making big hundrerds and putting up long innings is invaluable.

So people can criticise how rubbish and boring these matches are, but it will help the Pak batsmen in the long run and that's good enough for me.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Unless people think Pakistan are only dominating these matches due to winning the tosses -- which I think would be off the mark -- then the only real criticism should be leveled at Australia and New Zealand. It's not like they've been bore-draws, or even silly Adelaide Oval-like games where both teams pile on runs at will early in the game and then the pitch falls apart on Day 5; Pakistan's bowlers have troubled Australia and New Zealand.

Pitch variation is a good thing as long as all three results are still possible after the toss and there's a balance between bat and ball throughout the game. It's frankly not Pakistan's fault that Australia and New Zealand don't have the bowlers to use the conditions. No-one complains about the pitches when Sri Lanka and Bangladesh tour Australia and play a pace-based attack that gets hammered around, and pitches that help fast bowling and hinder spin bowling are no more or less valid than the opposite.

Frost

U19 Debutant
These tests in the UAE have received a lot of criticism and negativity due to them being one-sided (so far) and the pitches being roads. It is also a fair criticism to say that on lively pitches, these same Pak batsmen would collapse and post poor totals. However, what has been useful from a Pakistani perspective is the confidence and experience these matches will give to guys like Azhar, Shafiq, Shehzad and Sarfraz. Younis and Misbah aren't going to last long and Pak has to build a strong team after they retire, so the experience these guys are getting in making big hundrerds and putting up long innings is invaluable.

So people can criticise how rubbish and boring these matches are, but it will help the Pak batsmen in the long run and that's good enough for me.
Not sure.We are only going to know if they have the same success away from home.
If this game was played in nz the situation would be the same just swap the teams around.Im not sure what the benefits are having a top order that only preforms at home after winning the toss, it doesn't suggest long term success at all.

smash84

The Tiger King
Not sure.We are only going to know if they have the same success away from home.
If this game was played in nz the situation would be the same just swap the teams around.Im not sure what the benefits are having a top order that only preforms at home after winning the toss, it doesn't suggest long term success at all.
Didn't Pakistan win the test series last time they were in NZ?

Yes they did :p

Results | Global | ESPN Cricinfo

Teja.

Global Moderator
Unless people think Pakistan are only dominating these matches due to winning the tosses -- which I think would be off the mark -- then the only real criticism should be leveled at Australia and New Zealand. It's not like they've been bore-draws, or even silly Adelaide Oval-like games where both teams pile on runs at will early in the game and then the pitch falls apart on Day 5; Pakistan's bowlers have troubled Australia and New Zealand.

Pitch variation is a good thing as long as all three results are still possible after the toss and there's a balance between bat and ball throughout the game. It's frankly not Pakistan's fault that Australia and New Zealand don't have the bowlers to use the conditions. No-one complains about the pitches when Sri Lanka and Bangladesh tour Australia and play a pace-based attack that gets hammered around, and pitches that help fast bowling and hinder spin bowling are no more or less valid than the opposite.
Yeah, AWTA.

The Pakistan pacers haven't done badly either and while scoreboard pressure is a real thing, it isn't as dominant a thing as to justify the sort of hammerings Pak has been handing down.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year

Right on the money PEWS.

All the time these wickets are turning up results I can't see how there is much basis to be criticising them. From Pakistan's POV I think it is a little unfortunate that they have won 3 tosses in a row and batted first.......this is always going to give some the opportunity of claiming these tests were won at the toss which I don't concur with at all.

I've always harbored a soft spot for NZ and I'm wanting them to do well in this series, but in the next test I'd also like to see Pakistan lose the toss, bowl first and then win by an innings to put this train of thought to bed.

Blocky

Banned
No patience or application shown by the batsman, except Latham and Watling.

Disappointing effort, all things considered, our only chance now is to starve the Pakistani's of runs and hold them up as long as we can then put in a marathon draw effort - but with the way our players gave their wickets away, not likely.

smash84

The Tiger King
On the not so bright side this thread has slowed down considerably from 40 pages before the start of the first test and less than that since then :p

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Like i said...Pakistan will only be seriously challenged by India, SL and WI in their own backyard purely because of the spin talent these sides have...without decent spinners you really haven't got much chance here...good spinners can turn their 500 first innings totals into a 320 or there abouts and then it becomes a totally different ball game.

Apart from Craig's debut in the caribbean it's been been quite evident that if you see off Southee and Boult you're likely to have your way with NZ and that's proven to be the case thus far for Pakistan.