• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NRL 2014

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The real problem with league nowadays is the obsessing over refereeing decisions, which is actually accentuated by the video ref being there. The game is stop-start by nature given the bal is not in play when a tackle is completed, and given the amount of other stoppages, there is too much time for every decision to be analysed to death by commentators and supporters. I'm agreeing with Smitteh here, piss the video ref off.

There will always be bad calls in sport. The problem with league as opposed to afl and even union is the obsessing over them ad nauseum. You get a bad call in rah rah or afl, they can be just as important, but the game moves on and people don't carry on about it for 15 minutes while the game is still going on.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The best system is the one used in the Under 20s. A captain's challenge, each team per half. I felt more gutted for the Cows last night than the Broncos the weekend before.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have never understood the need for a law prohibiting strips in certain circumstances as one of the first things kids are taught is to hold onto the ****ing ball

My memory is a bit dim but was it really such a problem before they brought the law in?

IIRC, it had something to do with trying to limit gang tackles (?)

Keep it simple - player loses the ball in a tackle then it the opposition's ball unless the tackle itself is illegal (high shot, etc)

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
The real problem with league nowadays is the obsessing over refereeing decisions, which is actually accentuated by the video ref being there. The game is stop-start by nature given the bal is not in play when a tackle is completed, and given the amount of other stoppages, there is too much time for every decision to be analysed to death by commentators and supporters. I'm agreeing with Smitteh here, piss the video ref off.

There will always be bad calls in sport. The problem with league as opposed to afl and even union is the obsessing over them ad nauseum. You get a bad call in rah rah or afl, they can be just as important, but the game moves on and people don't carry on about it for 15 minutes while the game is still going on.
Take out the video ref and you'd hear the same screaming the first time a bad decision is made that the video ref would have picked up.

I think people just aren't realistic with refereeing. Calls in League are made by human beings on the basis of things happening in split seconds with millimeters being the deciding factor. Mistakes are inevitable and aren't symptomatic of a problem that's able to be solved. I can understand a Cows fan being shattered but us neutrals saw a genuinely incredible comeback and an amazing game which had just about everything and we're (and by this I mean the whole League community) still talking about a bunch of 50/50 calls which we see go either way every week. Why aren't we talking about Matt Scott's try or Maloney's shimmy into a field goal? Do we really think the problem is with the refs?

It doesn't help that referreeing decisions in League (generally) have more influence on the game than in other sports. I truly think that's the way to actually tackle the "problem". Maybe a penalty doesn't restart the tackle count? Or you go the union route and have two types of penalties, one that restarts the tackle count and one that doesn't.

My memory is a bit dim but was it really such a problem before they brought the law in?
It was Langer pickpocketing all and sundry IIRC.

Burgey

OMG that footage of James Graham blowing up at his team mates is the best thing ever.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
that ben teo try last night just symbolises everything about souths, just to big and strong

hard to see the bulldogs or panthers beating them but **** it'd be good if penrith got up

Burgey

God, how awful are the Souths' supporters going to be this week? There'll be 50,000 of them there next week, with about 30,000 teeth between them.

social

Segeyaro quickly becoming my favourite player

No idea as to his history but he has been great in the last couple of games

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
His history is that he's from PNG and was very talented at NQ Cowboys but was behind Aaron Payne so was an impact 9 from the bench. Moved to Panthers and shared the hooking duties with Kingston last year but was easily the better 9. This year Cleary sensibly realized he's good for all 80 minutes and he really has been great.

Speaking of great, Tim Lafai is making my Australia squad for the end of season (given the number of players already ruled out). I think you could count on one hand the number of times Morris has outplayed his centre partner this year..

social

Rabbits to win next week

Bulldogs just don't have the firepower and would take a massive under-performance from Souths to see them lose

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
7th made the GF?

Am I right in saying 8th made the GF few years back (Eels?)

Last edited:

uvelocity

International Coach
7th made the GF?

Am I right in saying 8th made the GF few years back (Eels?)
yes and maybe (cbf to check)

rabbits are gonna smash those dirty ****s and it will be glorious. every league fan will tip their hats to how well those rabbit ****s have built towards this. well done to them.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Be a fitting farewell to the NRL for big Sam too.

Guaranteed an English pennant winner either way. Will it be the first since Morley won with Easts?

EDIT: Actually have a feeling Widdop snagged one with the Storm, now I think about it.