• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Road to the 2015 Cricket World Cup

Flem274*

123/5
Na ah, your not getting away with pulling that........the derail is firmly with Hurricane.
Nope, typical Smali thread tactic. Pretending to be harmless and fun while really sneaking in snide jabs, bigoted comments and derails thinly disguised behind emoticons.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
4) Believe it or not, there are people on this forum coming from countries which do not have a history of subjugating people based on their skin color. So, even though a lot of you may have that scarring, some of us don't. Are we supposed to apologize for that?

7) Again, things like "norms of white" are not strongly entrenched everywhere. If there is a bit of white guilt involved here, why am I obligated to participate in that?
This is a fair point, however I don't think a single cultural group on earth can wash their hands of racism; at some point everyone has subjugated another group for political or nationalistic reasons, or has been subjugated by another group for some reason or another.

Straight white males are undoubtedly the worst group when it comes to this, and I accept my argument is clearly eurocentric, however I don't think the race of the person making the joke fundamentally alters its legitimacy or illegitimacy, unless it is self-deprecating (which in and of itself raises a nasty little structure-agency debate).

6) There is also a subtle racism when you can describe things as "white" (white lightning et al.) without being offensive, and not as "black" without not.
You assume I don't have similar concerns over this, although describing someone as 'white' has nowhere near the historical connotations of oppression that 'black' does. You're still foregrounding race, which I see as being incredibly pointless, but you're not foregrounding a characteristic historically used to oppress.

Furthermore "I don't think it's racist" isn't definitive proof that it isn't racist. You can't tell somebody of a different race what they should or shouldn't be offended at, especially on the grounds of race. That,in and of itself, is incredibly racist.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Nope, typical Smali thread tactic. Pretending to be harmless and fun while really sneaking in snide jabs, bigoted comments and derails thinly disguised behind emoticons.
Typical Phlegm, being a whiny little bastard :ph34r:

IT HAS A :ph34r: NEXT TO IT SO IT MUST BE OK, RIGHT? RIGHT?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It's South Africa's year this time. AB, Faf, Amla, are 3 of the best in the format and don't seem chokey. Steyn in the last 2 years has become pretty much as good in ODIs as he is in tests, too.
The same Faf who only scored his first ton in the last month and has had literally one outstanding series in his whole career is now one of the best in the format?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I personally don't think England have much of a chance but i would really like to see us try some more aggressive minded players such as Vince and Riley to see if they can adjust to international cricket. Not that the selectors will be brave enough before a world cup.
What has Riley done to warrant a call up ahead of one of our consistent bowlers when he can't even get into his county side on a regular basis?

Fusion

Global Moderator
So I think we've all made our points about Smali's post, both pro and con. Let's just let it end now and get back to topic. :)

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is a fair point, however I don't think a single cultural group on earth can wash their hands of racism; at some point everyone has subjugated another group for political or nationalistic reasons, or has been subjugated by another group for some reason or another.

Straight white males are undoubtedly the worst group when it comes to this, and I accept my argument is clearly eurocentric, however I don't think the race of the person making the joke fundamentally alters its legitimacy or illegitimacy, unless it is self-deprecating (which in and of itself raises a nasty little structure-agency debate).
I think it does. A lot of black people speak to each other in incredibly colorful language with regards to race*. You may think it is the same level of racist, but it is certainly not treated that way in the real world.

*As per what I have read, and seen on US Television.

You assume I don't have similar concerns over this, although describing someone as 'white' has nowhere near the historical connotations of oppression that 'black' does. You're still foregrounding race, which I see as being incredibly pointless, but you're not foregrounding a characteristic historically used to oppress.
Isn't one form of racism, the Eurocentric perspective included, about it being about pulling one race over the other as much as putting another down?

Furthermore "I don't think it's racist" isn't definitive proof that it isn't racist. You can't tell somebody of a different race what they should or shouldn't be offended at, especially on the grounds of race. That,in and of itself, is incredibly racist.
This is exactly my point. Definitions and notions of racism are being dictated to people all over the world from the seats of Oxford and Harvard. Different people have different legacies and histories. This hijacking of racism by white guilt is, as you say, in and itself of incredibly racist.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The same Faf who only scored his first ton in the last month and has had literally one outstanding series in his whole career is now one of the best in the format?
Heh, well tbf I never realised that Faf didn't have a good ODI record. Was under the impression that he's a useful LOI batsman. Atleast he's come good now, though, and my original point stands. They have a really good batting lineup, STeyn and Morkel are both now awesome in ODIs and the choke has to end some time.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I don't care what the record says. Faf's quality. He's been ridiculously good in all formats over the past 2 years; a slow start to his ODI career and his form not quite translating into results mask just how good a player he is, IMO.

Needs to bowl more though, IMO.

smash84

The Tiger King
Reading so much commentary on my lame pun I must make one last comment. All I will say is that I find it deeply upsetting that people are not comfortable in their own skins and will take ANY remarks about skin tone/features/habits/orientation to be negative EVEN if they are said in a positive way. I quite agree with what Adders had to say about Viv Richards and Michael Holding being proud of being black (and as they should). I am proud to be brown and if some people are uncomfortable in themselves belonging to a certain class of people, well then it says more about them than it does about somebody else.

And yes, going by some of the comments some posters here it seems that referring to George Headley as the black Bradman should be a serious racial slur and somebody using that term should receive a ban. Accepting that there are are differences among humans and celebrating it is what I believe should be the strength of humanity. Getting offended by the mere mention of that difference highlights their own insecurities and maybe such mentions might fan the fires of their own discriminatory attitudes and expose them. Yes, that is a real possibility too. Not suggesting that is necessarily the case but it is certainly a possibility.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Reading so much commentary on my lame pun I must make one last comment. All I will say is that I find it deeply upsetting that people are not comfortable in their own skins and will take ANY remarks about skin tone/features/habits/orientation to be negative EVEN if they are said in a positive way. I quite agree with what Adders had to say about Viv Richards and Michael Holding being proud of being black (and as they should). I am proud to be brown and if some people are uncomfortable in themselves belonging to a certain class of people, well then it says more about them than it does about somebody else.

And yes, going by some of the comments some posters here it seems that referring to George Headley as the black Bradman should be a serious racial slur and somebody using that term should receive a ban. Accepting that there are are differences among humans and celebrating it is what I believe should be the strength of humanity. Getting offended by the mere mention of that difference highlights their own insecurities and maybe such mentions might fan the fires of their own discriminatory attitudes and expose them. Yes, that is a real possibility too. Not suggesting that is necessarily the case but it is certainly a possibility.
Got it out of your system now? Good.

As tempting as it may be to respond to some of the more inflammatory parts of Smaili's post above, please let's all move on and stick to the topic of the thread. If anyone wishes to continue the conversation about race, perhaps it would be worthwhile to create a thread in OT about it. Any more comments regarding this topic in this thread will be deleted.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When and where was the last ODI series we had which was a low scoring affair? Anybody remember?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
When and where was the last ODI series we had which was a low scoring affair? Anybody remember?
Australia's tour to the West Indies in 2012 wasn't high-scoring IIRC. Admittedly skewed by the Australians picking Matthew Wade and Peter Forrest in the team, but whatever.

Just checked it out; series run-rate of 5.02, which is still pretty high, I guess, but the first 3 games were all played at ~4-4.5rpo before Sammy and Pollard started making some quick runs at the end of the series.

GGG

State Captain
Jeez. I thought he meant the windies dudes were hung like horses. Not the worst trait.
Who was the UK boxer that went off at a reporter that suggested he must have a hugh one because he was a black man? Who ever it was he was very offended.

Last edited: