• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Road to the 2015 Cricket World Cup

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
This is probably the first World Cup where I genuinely believe any of the Top 8 could win it.

I think Australia's 'clear favourites' tag is undeserved; the bowling attack has the tendency to leak 300+ at random and the batting is very top-heavy. If Ryan Harris plays, they look far stronger. If we're playing a McKay/NCN/Richardson/Cutting/Pattinson every game, I think much of the home advantage gets lost.

South Africa has the strongest side IMO, with Amla/ABdV/Steyn an incredible core. De Kock has come along well, while the seam bowling side of things is fantastic for them. Duminy and Tahir could struggle though, and all this is tempered by the c-word.

India's batting is very strong when in-form, and on Australian decks they may be able to score enough runs to offset their bowling weakness come the big games. But can they win 3 straight?

SL is much the same IMO, only I feel they're somewhat more likely to win 3 straight because their bowling is slightly stronger -- Malinga, Kula's Brisbane spell, and a h4x Herath.

Pakistan could do it, but without Ajmal I don't think they will. Junaid and Irfan should be decent over here, the batting has enough to it if they get it right, but they'd need stars to align to genuinely challenge.

England could also win it, but aren't likely IMO. Middle of the road team who could score upsets all through the tournament to win, but are more likely to drop out in the quarters. All you need is some Buttler h4x, though.

West Indies are definitely in with a chance. They're coming into their own as a unit, in Narine they have a spinner who can keep things tight (though he may be nullified as a wickettaking threat by Australian pitches). Roach and Taylor could devastate, but the batting looks weak with Chanderpaul not playing -- he holds them together in Tests.

New Zealand are in with a serious chance IMO. Second-best seam attack behind SA, a good middle order with Williamson and (hopefully) Watling playing. And if Vettori is fit for a World Cup swansong, their biggest weakness can be papered over. I can honestly see them winning the thing; if they drop pick Watling, they'll have the perfect balance of cake and icing.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I'd put money on Henry to top the WC wicket-taking tally, provided he:
a) Gets picked before hand to get used to ODI cricket
b) Doesn't get injured.

Especially at the juicy odds I assume he would get.
I would back almost anyone in the squad to get wickets in that 3rd seamer role. There's just so much class in the opening bowling that teams are going to have to go after the third seamer.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
4) Believe it or not, there are people on this forum coming from countries which do not have a history of subjugating people based on their skin color. So, even though a lot of you may have that scarring, some of us don't. Are we supposed to apologize for that?
India does ftr.

GGG

State Captain
After watching Boult last night I would be seriously considering him for the squad, I know he has a poor record but over the last year he has improved so much and added a yard of pace. Definitely worth giving him a run in the lead up games.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sure, but Indians should have the same guilt. Then there'd be less of the **** in that article.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sure, but Indians should have the same guilt. Then there'd be less of the **** in that article.
I have found positive motivation to be better than negative ones in my life. Like if everybody understood less racism will bring about a better, more developed society. But you are quite right. Guilt would/should lead to less of the **** in that article.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Please start a thread in OT if you want to keep talking about this. I'm getting closer and closer into being baited into an actual response to all that, and no-one wants to see that.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
harris, johnson, starc?
I'm not willing to assume Harris will be fit. And while I rate Starc, I don't rate him as a consistent performer. On his day he's destructive, when he's off though, he can randomly concede 8 an over all day.

Slot Harris in and I agree with you, though.

Southee/Boult/Henry > Johnson/Starc/Cutting*

*or Richardson, NCN, Pattinson, McKay etc.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
NZ is unlikely to pick Southee-Boult-Henry and Aus is unlikely to pick Harris-Johnson-Starc.

I think NZ's reserve seamers are slightly more consistent in ODI cricket though.

Flem274*

123/5
I don't see Mitch M and Mills being dropped overnight guys. Boult was barely on the CW ODI radar before the Champions League.