• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fixing Scandal!!!!!

Skyliner

International 12th Man
IIRC, wasn't the ICL outlawed by the ICC and players who took part got bans from ICC-regulated competition?

If so, I don't see how the ICC could have jurisdiction over events that happened in it?
McCullum's testimony allegedly stated he believed player X was asking him to fix in the IPL, and Vincent's fixing included English county matches.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
IIRC, wasn't the ICL outlawed by the ICC and players who took part got bans from ICC-regulated competition?

If so, I don't see how the ICC could have jurisdiction over events that happened in it?
I made the same point when Vincent, Tuffey and Cairns were named back in December. The ACSU can hardly claim to have control over a rebel league.

Though obviously if Cairns and Vincent have been involved in things like County Cricket and the CL20 it's a different story.

Perhaps the ICC feels no desire to interview Cairns - if he's not the top of the chain and he's publicly denying everything then he'd probably be a waste of time. What they want is whistle-blowers (or people they can get to fess up to save their own ass) and then the top of the tree. If Cairns was only a rung above Vincent he's not worth the effort for minimal return.

jcas0167

International Debutant
I made the same point when Vincent, Tuffey and Cairns were named back in December. The ACSU can hardly claim to have control over a rebel league.

Though obviously if Cairns and Vincent have been involved in things like County Cricket and the CL20 it's a different story.

Perhaps the ICC feels no desire to interview Cairns - if he's not the top of the chain and he's publicly denying everything then he'd probably be a waste of time. What they want is whistle-blowers (or people they can get to fess up to save their own ass) and then the top of the tree. If Cairns was only a rung above Vincent he's not worth the effort for minimal return.
Given what they seem to have from McCullum, Vincent & his wife, I would have thought they have ample evidence to put pressure on Cairns to do a deal. I find it incredible that he hasn't been interviewed.

It's a little surreal following Cairns on twitter. He's posting quite regularly, interacting with others thanking them for their support and seems pretty chipper given the circumstances.

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

otagoman

School Boy/Girl Captain
While the match and spot fixing is a concern...is the biggest issue here that it took 6 years from McCullums testimony for any action to be done....and that only because a newspaper leaked the vincent story. What confidence can a player get when they report something to see the same individuals they reported working around cricket?

Reminds me of this where the fallout was not huge

I suspect the reason why nothing seems to happen with reporting is that corruption runs deep and they do not want to expose the true scale of it

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
uggh.

Moa's marketing team is absolutely terrible. In response to a Tui billboard ad ("Think I might buy shares in Moa - Yeah Right" or something along the lines) they challenged them to a "Beer Off" on facebook and questioned the fact that they weren't locally owned. Seriously, a company undergoes a float so anyone can buy into it, still somehow markets itself as a boutique brewery, and then tries to smear a beer-off-the-masses brew? So dumb.

BeeGee

International Captain
Captain McCullum to front on match-fixing leak | Stuff.co.nz

One News reported Vincent's ex-wife, Elly Riley, told investigators how she and her then-husband drove to a Birmingham laundrette in 2008 to collect US$50,000 in cash.

''I just sat in the car and put a hoodie over my head because I was so worried and scared. Lou went into a laundrette and came out with a black ruck bag and the cash was in that,'' she told ACSU investigators.

Riley's explosive 10-page statement, taken last October, alleged Cairns was a match-fixing ringleader in the Indian Cricket League, and later in English county cricket. She testified she confronted Cairns in 2008 but he laughed it off, and said no one would get caught.

More evidence from Riley stated Vincent called her in 2012 after their divorce. ''Lou phoned and asked me to pick up some money for him. I think it was nine or 10 thousand pounds''.

She believed it was proceeds from the sale of a van Vincent had. ''Lou replied, 'Elly you know what I mean' and immediately I realised that the money was related to match-fixing.''

Riley said in evidence she refused after she was contacted by a person called Bawa from Birmingham who would meet her in a carpark near her home.

''I was angry that I'd been asked to do this because you don't know who you're dealing with. I've got children and I don't want to be driving out to dodgy carparks to pick up cash.''
It's like something out of a bad spy movie. I guess he had to collect his money from a laundrette because it had just been freshly laundered. Ba-doom cha!

What a ****ing disgrace.

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
uggh.

Moa's marketing team is absolutely terrible. In response to a Tui billboard ad ("Think I might buy shares in Moa - Yeah Right" or something along the lines) they challenged them to a "Beer Off" on facebook and questioned the fact that they weren't locally owned. Seriously, a company undergoes a float so anyone can buy into it, still somehow markets itself as a boutique brewery, and then tries to smear a beer-off-the-masses brew? So dumb.
Tui recently did one of their high-larious billboards down here recently "That Oscar Pistorius seems like a well balanced guy". It stayed up for literally a day before they quietly changed it to "Mate can I borrow your roll on?" or something. Dead-set a lot of beer companies are just ****ing brain dead.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Tui recently did one of their high-larious billboards down here recently "That Oscar Pistorius seems like a well balanced guy". It stayed up for literally a day before they quietly changed it to "Mate can I borrow your roll on?" or something. Dead-set a lot of beer companies are just ****ing brain dead.
yeah, but at least Tui is a **** beer for the blind drunk who don't really care. This Moa "open letter" went on about how they "couldn't actually figure out who owns Tui" - as if that's something to sneer at when your company is traded on the public share platform and could literally be owned by anyone with enough money at any point in time.

I can tolerate stupidity, but I can't tolerate holier-than-thou marketing. The hypocrisy of getting riled up about a rival company (and let's face it, they're not even rivals, they're going after completely different markets) taking the piss out of you and then responding by doing the exact same thing except adding a tone of unfounded superiority drives me to drink (anything other than Moa).

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Sol-destroying, is all this discussion of beer.

I will steal that pun until the end of time. Deal with it.

Athlai

Not Terrible
McCullum reported both approaches in 2008 and was interviewed again in 2011.
Yeah great to hear. I retract my previous sentiment about taking the captaincy from Baz entirely. The shining light in this whole debacle was to hear that Baz did exactly what he should have. The big questions it raises is why the ICC didn't do anything about it till now. To spite Modi?