• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in New Zealand 2013/14

Binkley

U19 Captain
Is there any reason why Boult can't do the same role McCleanagan does, but slightly better?
I would say it is because of the lengths they bowl. Boult is most effective when he bowls full and gets swing. Those types of balls tend to go for plenty when the bat is swinging. McClenaghan bowls short of a length and yorkers/full tosses, and those deliveries are much more suited to the short-form game.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Guptill was ranked the #1 T20I batsman in the world for a while. I'm fairly certain that would get him a courtesy nod.

Days of Grace

International Captain
I would say it is because of the lengths they bowl. Boult is most effective when he bowls full and gets swing. Those types of balls tend to go for plenty when the bat is swinging. McClenaghan bowls short of a length and yorkers/full tosses, and those deliveries are much more suited to the short-form game.
Yes, good points which I'm aware of, but McClenagan has had a number of jammy wickets and it's hard to believe that Boult would leak any more runs at the death whilst at the same time giving us much more wicket-taking balls at the beginning of the innings.

If you take a look at Mitch's stats in his past 10 matches, he is going at over 6.5 an over.

We just don't seem to be nicking players off in overs 1-10 anymore. Maybe it's the pitches or maybe the absence of Mills?

I would also trust Boult to get his yorker in a lot more.

And what has happened to the yorker anyway? Gone out of fashion? Are bowlers just not trusting themselves to get it right?

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Guptill was ranked the #1 T20I batsman in the world for a while. I'm fairly certain that would get him a courtesy nod.
Players like Shakib Al Hasan and Shahid Afridi miss out. There's really no rhyme or reason to how the auctions go.

He'd certainly be a valuable addition to most teams, I'm not disputing that. I just don't know whether he's made enough headlines or is as recognisable as some of the other guys. He's a better t20 player than Taylor, that's for sure, but Rossco is more likely to be bought.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Players like Shakib Al Hasan and Shahid Afridi miss out. There's really no rhyme or reason to how the auctions go.

He'd certainly be a valuable addition to most teams, I'm not disputing that. I just don't know whether he's made enough headlines or is as recognisable as some of the other guys. He's a better t20 player than Taylor, that's for sure, but Rossco is more likely to be bought.
There are obvious political reasons as to why Shahid Afridi missed out on an IPL contract, and Shakib Al Hasan has been on the KKR roster for the last 2 years. And the fact that he's got a captive audience of 500 million for the next week would suggest to me that he's gong to be fairly recognisable by the time of the auction.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Weather looks great for tomorrow. Hoping Dhoni win's a 4th toss in a row and once again asks NZ to bat. Otherwise McHesson will probably bowl first like he did against the Windies in Hamilton when we got spanked.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Weather looks great for tomorrow. Hoping Dhoni win's a 4th toss in a row and once again asks NZ to bat. Otherwise McHesson will probably bowl first like he did against the Windies in Hamilton when we got spanked.
Oh ****, I thought it was on Wednesday.
Will probably miss the start due to work. Grrrrrrrrrr.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Wow, didn't realise McCullum's been quite that ordinary since 2011. Thought he would have been in the 34-36 vicinity.
His double century just falls out of the "last 3 years" window, which is why his 5 year average is so much higher.

Blocky

Banned
That one's for Blocky
His consistency has been average for the three years, but then he's also batted 1,2,3,4,5,6 and 7 in the order in that time period which no other batsman can claim. He was good at home against the Windies and England. Bad against England away and didn't cash in on his starts in Bangladesh, He's just come out of a series where he scored a tonne that should have set us up for victory if not for rain and had an average of around 40 - not great, but good enough in NZ.

I think there is more chance of him being dropped from ODI selection than there is test selection personally. I also think he should be looking to set himself up with a 3 to 6 month break from cricket to get his back into the right condition to push on. One of the things every Sinclair and Franklin fan used to complain about is that they never had a consistent spot in the test order so never could establish themselves with consistent performances - well, Brendon has only had the "5" slot recently and hasn't been our worst player in that time period. You also can't dispute the NZ side is playing much better test and ODI cricket since he took over the captaincy, too.

Last edited: