• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Chinaman bowlers in Test Cricket

Furball

Evil Scotsman
here's top ****s post

i dont know if any of that is any different to leggies bowling to lefties tbh
A leggie bowling to a leftie will have a ton of rough to work with though. Unless the chinaman is also bowling with a lefty quick, not so much.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
As if there's been 27 posts in this thread and not one mention of Dave Mohammed. Sort it out.

SeamUp

International Coach
Leading Test chinaman googly bowlers
134 Paul Adams
102 Johnny Wardle
42 Chuck Fleetwood-Smith
34 Lindsey Kline/Inshan Ali
29 Michael Bevan

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Best would have been Brad Hogg. If he was born 20 years later would be playing as australia,s s premier spinner by now.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Nah.

No way would he be Australia's premier spinner at 62
I'm trying to find the joke here but I don't think it's possible to interpret his post like that without just being wrong. If he was born later he'd be younger, not older...

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Best would have been Brad Hogg. If he was born 20 years later would be playing as australia,s s premier spinner by now.
Nah, he didn't really cut it as a long form bowler, although his FC stats might be a little skewed by bowling at the WACA all the time. Fleetwood Smith was apparently extremely good from what I've read

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
vic posted once about how Hogg's wrong un was heaps easier to pick with the red ball

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I played club cricket for a while with a guy who bowled left arm leggies. He was primarily a batsman, but it was incredible how often you could bring him on and he'd be a partnership breaker.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Hogg was unlucky to be bowling for Australia. If he was in another country, would have done lot better with a better career as well. His greats in ODI cricket is just examples for it. In early 2000s, I remeber SL players feared him more than Warne.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Nah, he didn't really cut it as a long form bowler, although his FC stats might be a little skewed by bowling at the WACA all the time.
His WACA average (40.72) was actually extremely similar to his overall FC average (40.51).

It would be interesting to hear what Migara had to say about the fact that Hogg averaged 53 with the ball in county cricket, particularly given his long-held stance than county and even English Test batsmen are completely incompetent when it comes to playing wrist spin bowling.

Lots of excuses are made about why Hogg's First Class bowling record was what it was, but once you examine them closely none of those excuses really hold water. The easiest explanation is that he just wasn't anywhere near as good a bowler with the red ball, with the field up and with the batsmen able to sit on him if need be. He was an amazing, attacking, wicket-taking one day bowler in lots of different situations but while that usually translates into First Class and Test success, sometimes it doesn't, and Hogg is an example of that.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Wasn't Buck Llewellyn, of recent belated repute as the first non-white South African test player, a chinaman purveyor too?

As he predated Puss Achong one imagines they weren't called that back in the day tho.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm trying to find the joke here but I don't think it's possible to interpret his post like that without just being wrong. If he was born later he'd be younger, not older...
Thought of it as earlier for some reason.