• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in New Zealand 2013/14

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Well, they've got 21 days to fit in three Tests, haven't they. On Boxing Day, any accountant worth his salt gives the finger to Don Neely or HeathDavisSpeed, and lays on some very accessible white ball action.
I think this is a good point - would have been easy to take the easy option and play 2 tests, but instead we're squeezing 3 in. If that means starting this test on a Tuesday, even if it means I don't get to watch much of it, then that's fine.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
I will settle down and stop moaning soon, honest. But can anyone watching this honestly tell me that gabriel is a better selection then Jason Holder? A lot of you wont have seen Miguel Cummins, but you will have seen bits of Holder. 6 feet 7, 80-85mph, extra bounce and an excellent seam position. He's not ready to be a World Class bowler yet by any stretch, but he would be so much more effective in these conditions than Gabriel who offers absolutely nothing.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well, they've got 21 days to fit in three Tests, haven't they. On Boxing Day, any accountant worth his salt gives the finger to Don Neely or HeathDavisSpeed, and lays on some very accessible white ball action.
Oi, ****. Any accountant worth their salt also knows that having days 2 & 3 of a Test on the weekend maximises revenue $$$ too. Practicality is one thing, but the $$$ argument works both ways.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
While Sammy has caught the edge as I type, bloody hell he looks a lot more gentle than I remember. It's not even a pace thing either - someone who is 2m tall should be generating some serious bounce but he isn't even doing that. And he's another with the scrambled seam bowling.

If you have big bounce you can be just as effective as any 140kph bowler, but he isn't doing anything. Upright seam, bang it in.
Sammy is always a much better proposition as a cricketer when you're not watching him play cricket.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Excellent start Rudds. Does have the ability to hurt the opposition quickly if he isn't exposed early, or gift his wicket after a start.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rutherford's Test average at the University Oval currently sits at a healthy 222.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Will be a great test of Southee and Boult. Will be interested to see if they can be penetrative on these types of wickets where they have traditionally struggled.
From the commentary I gather Windies bowlers have occasionally hit a good line and length and have challenged the batsmen and sometimes beaten the bat when they've done that. Would surely expect Southee and Boult to hit that spot a lot more frequently at the very least.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
From the commentary I gather Windies bowlers have occasionally hit a good line and length and have challenged the batsmen and sometimes beaten the bat when they've done that. Would surely expect Southee and Boult to hit that spot a lot more frequently at the very least.
yeah. I certainly think had we had won the toss it wouldn't have been a dreadful decision. But when you're Best pace bowler averages 39...

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I think Sammy thought that if they bowl first then we can't so he neutralises a relatively strong bowling line up.
Yes but with their top order they really shouldn't be willingly batting first on a pitch with any grass
Yeah, that's also true.

This isn't the type of pitch the our swing bowlers traditionally do well on though. I guess we'll see when they bowl though.

Flem274*

123/5
So if they shouldn't be batting first because the pitch has grass, and they shouldn't be bowling first because they're not good enough to take advantage of grass, should they even bother turning up for the first two days?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yes but with their top order they really shouldn't be willingly batting first on a pitch with any grass
Haha. So although the teams are quite evenly matched, WI were ****ed either way today.

Tino needs to come back on for a couple of overs before lunch IMO. Probably wont happen, but he should be bowling now instead of Sammy.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
BTW Maximas, I feel as though Edwards, Powell, Bravo, Samuels is at least on par with Rutherford, Fulton, Redmond, Taylor.