• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
They should go off. This is a joke of a contest.
Yeah

It should be like a boxing match when the ref can stop the bout to prevent a punchbag (Autralia) from taking further punishment.

Trott's interview there compares rather well to some of the crap coming from the other camp.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agreed.

So how do we change this rule? Give the batsmen the choice again?
I actually think that's right mate. I know there is the odd chance a fielding team can't see the ball, but it's pretty rare. Would rather put it in the batting team's hands, and if they knock it back then it becomes a matter for the umpires.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I just think its awesome that uvelocity and Adders bet went down to what turned out the last ball of the Ashes series and it was a very random way for Bell to get out.

Expressway76

U19 Vice-Captain
Ahahaha.

Great to see Michael Clarke is above negative tactics like time wasting and bitching at the umpires.

Top top lel.
It's quite amusing seeing that his intent was forcing a result by declaring in the first place. Obviously that intent only extended to the result being in Australia's favour.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fine bowling team penalty runs for over rate violations. Only way the over rates will ever get fixed.
Indeed, both Cook and Clarke have been poor this match, both should have been severely punished. There's really no excuse for it.

TumTum

Banned
I was hoping to see England fall just short of winning instead of Ausssies winning.

Series was already over but at least you got a small taste of your own medicine :D

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fine bowling team penalty runs for over rate violations. Only way the over rates will ever get fixed.
In all honesty, it needs to be bans. Fines aren't going to get the point across; most captains would take a bit of a hit to the wallet to avoid a lose.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
I actually think that's right mate. I know there is the odd chance a fielding team can't see the ball, but it's pretty rare. Would rather put it in the batting team's hands, and if they knock it back then it becomes a matter for the umpires.
Actually quite often bad light is more likely to disadvantage the fielders rather than the batsmen - the latter have sightscreens to aid them.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's quite amusing seeing that his intent was forcing a result by declaring in the first place. Obviously that intent only extended to the result being in Australia's favour.
Of course it did. Just as England's aggressive intent only manifested itself when Clarke declared.

As Prior just said, England wanted to stay on but he would have felt different had England been nine down.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If its unfair to go off now, it was unafair then. Not going off now would be a clear bias towards England. If you aren't going to leave it to the players, this is the fairest way to do it.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Wake up to yourself mate. The light is way worse than it was when they went off earlier in the match. Yeah it's frustrating but they were never going to stay on once Clarke saw that meter reading. If they had he would have been well within his rights to go utterly ballistic.
Under the laws of the game, yeah fair enough.

The light rule as it stands is ****ing stupid though. It looked pretty dark and the batsmen didn't have a problem seeing the ball, England won a Test in Karachi in pitch darkness. I'd question whether the light ruling is really necessary.