• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at Old Trafford

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I reckon it's the whole burden of proof thing that is ****ing with DRS, maybe 3rd umps should have free range just to call it as they see it
It's like the ridiculous burden of proof the mods on here require before they ban what is, to everyone watching, an obvious multi.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
But it isn't producing less shockers in this series

The Broad (no review due to DRS rules), Trott, Bell, Khawaja and even Rogers decisions in the first test were horrible

Without DRS, we'd be having healthy debate

With DRS, people are simply assuming that the umps are total incompetents and also questioning the technology
The fact that you have conspiracy theories about hawkeye doesn't mean it failed to correct a decision.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
But it isn't producing less shockers in this series

The Broad (no review due to DRS rules), Trott, Bell, Khawaja and even Rogers decisions in the first test were horrible

Without DRS, we'd be having healthy debate

With DRS, people are simply assuming that the umps are total incompetents and also questioning the technology
Consider how many of these would have been out anyway even with no DRS, and then consider how many decisions have been correctly overturned in this series, and it's still a clear improvement.

As for the ones it has clearly got wrong - it's like any system. Misuse it and it won't work very well, and in this series it has been misused. This isn't a problem with it that is impossible to overcome.

I don't think the DRS is perfect. For starters the umpire's call rubbish on LBWs needs to be ****ed off, and it has the wrong overall objective. Its objective should be for the third umpire to make what he thinks is the right decision, as opposed to giving the benefit of the doubt to the on-field decision.

With all this said, from a point of view of purely looking at the amount of correct decisions, DRS even as it is now is still streets ahead of no DRS.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyone think this pitch is occasionally a little two paced? Seen a few blokes getting through their shots a bit soon on the odd occasion. By no means even a remotely poor wicket, but I get the feeling it isn't quite as true paced as it seemed at first blush.

Spark

Global Moderator
Ok, probably the time to say that we should take discussion of UDRS/the decision to the other thread and leave this one for the cricket.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Anyone think this pitch is occasionally a little two paced? Seen a few blokes getting through their shots a bit soon on the odd occasion. By no means even a remotely poor wicket, but I get the feeling it isn't quite as true paced as it seemed at first blush.
Yeah. I'm assuming it's because of those bare patches.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Yeah, few deliveries have 'stuck' in the wicket and come onto the bat slower than the batsman expect. Twatto got a couple of them early on.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Consider how many of these would have been out anyway even with no DRS, and then consider how many decisions have been correctly overturned in this series, and it's still a clear improvement.

As for the ones it has clearly got wrong - it's like any system. Misuse it and it won't work very well, and in this series it has been misused. This isn't a problem with it that is impossible to overcome.

I don't think the DRS is perfect. For starters the umpire's call rubbish on LBWs needs to be ****ed off, and it has the wrong overall objective. Its objective should be for the third umpire to make what he thinks is the right decision, as opposed to giving the benefit of the doubt to the on-field decision.

With all this said, from a point of view of purely looking at the amount of correct decisions, DRS even as it is now is still streets ahead of no DRS.
He's also demonstrating displeasure at correct overturns and correct non overturns. Talk about clutching at straws.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Strauss chatting absolute **** here, the best thing for Australia is that their best batsman bats in the position where he scores most runs.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If Oz get 350+, my feeling is that we will be in pretty good shape

Wasn't here earlier but why was Bird left out?

Whilst I rate Starc as a major talent, IMO he isn't in the same class as a bowler atm