• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at Old Trafford

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm going to go against the grain here and say that if the pitch is as dry as everyone (other than MacGill) is saying, I actually would pick Starc over Bird. It's still close but I think Starc's ability to get reverse swing and to take the pitch out of the equation would count for more on a dry pitch than the fact that Bird seems to be bowling a little better at the moment. Not too fussed either way though.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Which is pretty much exactly what was said. If they have altered the pitch and are responsible for whatever those burn marks are though it makes them look a bit silly, given they should beat us without having to prepare anything out of the ordinary. I hope it turns square from day 1, will create some interesting conversation in here haha.
I think some of it is related to the 90 degree rotation in pitches as part of the rebuilding of the ground.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm going to go against the grain here and say that if the pitch is as dry as everyone (other than MacGill) is saying, I actually would pick Starc over Bird. It's still close but I think Starc's ability to get reverse swing and to take the pitch out of the equation would count for more on a dry pitch than the fact that Bird seems to be bowling a little better at the moment. Not too fussed either way though.
Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. On a normal English pitch though I would pikc Bird.

Spark

Global Moderator
I think some of it is related to the 90 degree rotation in pitches as part of the rebuilding of the ground.
Yeah I remember seeing an ODI at the ground just after it had been rotated and the pitch was just bizarre, was behaving completely differently in patches of the pitch.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
MacGill was commenting on the Old Trafford pitch in 2005 tbh. :)

greg

International Debutant
lol at some of the dry pitch comments, rain isn't the only way pitches get watered...
No but the point is that the weather means the pitches are naturally dry. So leaving them so by not excessively watering to compensate can hardly constitute 'doctoring' the pitches. There is also another theory that the modern drainage systems are sucking the moisture out of the squares so the character of pitches are changing.

Frankly the whole concept of the "traditional English seamer" is really a bit of a myth these days. We rarely see them for test matches these days. The weather obviously plays a part through offering swing, but most of the pitches themselves are flat.