• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lord's

FBU

International Debutant
I'd go with this order too. Though Morkel, Siddle and Philander are harder to rate. Obviously Philander has been the "best" of the three over the past few years, statistically. However, I think we'd all agree that Philander isn't worth his 17 average.

When the ball's moving, Philander is easily third. When you need a spark of brilliance, or someone to strike fear into the batsmen, Morkel's your man. If you're looking for an all-round workhorse, Siddle is up there.
Last two years
HowSTAT! Top Ten (Test)

Spark

Global Moderator
telegraph_sport @telegraph_sport
Ed Cowan, Mitchell Starc axed for Usman Khawaja and Ryan Harris for second Ashes Test at Lord's bit.ly/12IGXgf
and the people did rejoice

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Dunno about Harris at Lord's. Likely to be slow and not much swing.

Would've preferred Bird tbh. Could be useful on the slope and getting just a little nibble from the pitch.

Spark

Global Moderator
Harris was by some distance our best bowler in SL so I have no idea why it being slow/not swinging would be an issue for him

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gun with Harris coming in.

Not sure how I feel about Khawaja, but he deserves another go IMO.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Harris was by some distance our best bowler in SL so I have no idea why it being slow/not swinging would be an issue for him
I didn't watch Aus in SL, but I saw big hooping swing at the two test venues that NZ played in SL. Still flat wickets, but big swing. I don't know whether it was swinging in the Aus tour or to what extent Harris relies on swing though.

It's not to say that Harris won't do well at Lord's (hell, Southee just got a 10fer there), but just that there is an advantage to playing the tall seamer on that particular wicket. I just think Bird could be very useful.

Last edited:

Ruckus

International Captain
Harris has shown he is easily good enough to perform on slow wickets. His 'skiddy' type of bowling is pretty well suited to it. Ryan Harris 5 For 62 V Sri Lanka 2011. - YouTube

That being said, while an attack of Patto, Siddle and Harris is still a very good one, it does lack a little variation. Think Harris/Patto, Siddle and Bird would have been better, or Patto, Harris/Siddle and Bird.

Ruckus

International Captain
very much looking forward to Patto and Harris bowling with the new ball though. Both are rhythm bowlers, but if they can hone their radars quicker than last time, it could make for some fun viewing.