• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in England series 2013

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Also was Bairstow's shot really bad or was it just an excellent ball? Looked a very poor shot from where I saw it.
Came in quite a bit (reverse swing I think) at a very full length, tough ball to get early, but Bluey didn't cover himself in glory with the shot, that's for sure.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
We simply can't let swann get away with a southee'd 30. None of the tail worries me apart from that, though. **** this is incredible cricket.
Not sure how serious Bells illness is but you've got a top order batsmen at the crease to worry about before Swann.

Tail hasn't offered much in any innings of the test so far, so unless its sunny at the start of play I'm not expecting them to get us the 50+ we really need here. Englands best chance of getting a 250 lead is for Finn to put up the wall while Bell makes a patient 40 odd.

Great test match this.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I dunno, the ball's not doing much anymore. we're going to have to bowl extremely well to polish off the tail quickly.

tooextracool

International Coach
Also was Bairstow's shot really bad or was it just an excellent ball? Looked a very poor shot from where I saw it.
Probably a combination, everybody including Bairstow's dog knew that the field was set up for the ball angled into the pads, especially given his own tendency to play around his front pad. In the end, he just played around a straight ball. It was well executed by Southee and NZ and credit to them.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't mind Geoffrey Boycott as a commentator but I cant stand the way he constantly refers to England as 'we'. Stop it!
I don't mind that at all. An ex England cricketer and presumably now a supporter of English cricket......I don't think anyone is ever in any doubt who's side Sir Geoffrey is on when he commentates.

That sort of bias I can handle, so long as his reporting of proceedings is balanced and even. Boycott gets that right for mine, no one rips into England harder than him when deserved.

Where biased commentary goes wrong is when you have someone like Healy in the box, it's like there is only one team on the park.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I don't mind that at all. An ex England cricketer and presumably now a supporter of English cricket......I don't think anyone is ever in any doubt who's side Sir Geoffrey is on when he commentates.

That sort of bias I can handle, so long as his reporting of proceedings is balanced and even. Boycott gets that right for mine, no one rips into England harder than him when deserved.

Where biased commentary goes wrong is when you have someone like Healy in the box, it's like there is only one team on the park.
You're kidding right?

You're talking about Geoffrey Boycott. The guy who refuses to recognise the fact that NZ actually played better than England across 3 tests. The guy who continues to call NZ's bowling attack workmanlike and is still talking about England's "complacency" rather than giving credit to the opposition.

Bumble is great. Boycott is one of the most one-eyed analysts out there.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Any journalist or pundit who uses the word complacent should be sacked immediately. Horrible word, does great disservice to everyone.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
You're kidding right?

You're talking about Geoffrey Boycott. The guy who refuses to recognise the fact that NZ actually played better than England across 3 tests. The guy who continues to call NZ's bowling attack workmanlike and is still talking about England's "complacency" rather than giving credit to the opposition.

Bumble is great. Boycott is one of the most one-eyed analysts out there.
I didn't listen to any TMS during the last series or this test, so can't say I've heard Boycott say any of that. If he did then I certainly don't agree with him and you'd be right.....that does smack of one eyed commentary.

From my years of listening to him though he doesn't come over to me like that. Calls a spade a spade and tells it like it is.......for both teams playing.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
it's not so much during his commentary but during his pre and post series analyses that he says this crap.

Pre England in NZ, it's fair enough and is indeed calling a spade a spade.

Post that series saying the crap he was spewing was just stupid.

Jezroy

State Captain
So much depends on the weather IMO

Cloudy morning and fine arvo could see the Kiwis win this but reverse is also true
That's the word.

Loving a nice low scoring test where it's actually difficult (though not impossibly so) for the batsmen to make runs.

Jezroy

State Captain
Gonna have a love fest here.

I know we haven't won anything yet, but after what happened to us in South Africa and all the Taylor/McHesson rubbish that was swirling around, plus the fact that NZC stated they would be focusing on ODI cricket, I am so stoked at how we have performed over the last 4 tests.

Yes, our batting can be dire. Yes, we need a spinner who is better than Kane. Yes, we may still lose this test. But I'm really impressed by the way this team has turned around. We had an "NZ Doom and Gloom" thread not that long ago. It hasn't really needed to be used in recent times.

Good on youse fellas.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Pity that Finn survived that lbw shout before the close. KW's wicket was awesome, but it probably also spells doom for NZ. Anything over 150 will be a nightmare to chase with Swann aiming at those footmarks. Even if we run through England for 20 or 30 runs tomorrow morning, we'd need Rutherford to get in and make a big score to have a chance.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
He's English.
French.

Although Boycs has had sand in his vadge about NZ ever since his one crack at test captaincy ended in ignominy down there. Despite him being quite probably temperamentally the worst suited man for skippering any kind of cricket team, much less a test XI.