• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

uvelocity

International Coach
The thing is though that the punishment should have fit the crime. Acting like an arsehole and publicly sacking four of your players from the next test for such a small thing screams of an overreaction. There should have been a warning, or the four of them should have been made to do an extra hour of compulsory fielding drills instead. The whole point of the coach is to help the team win, not piss all over his players.
its all incongruent. like if the cuture is overall that putrid that multiple players need to be made an example of, go after the ones who are cutting corners or taking soft options. saying watson is 100% professional and then giving him a 9/10 penalty for one slip up is crazy. wonder where clarke sits in his heart about this too

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And furthermore, what happens if Starc gets injured in the nets? Do we play with a bowling attack of Siddle, Henriques, Lyon, Doherty, Smith and Maxwell? That certainly would qualify as the worst bowling attack I've ever seen an Australia team field.

And what would have happened if it had have been four bowlers who had not submitted their assignments? Or if Clarke had have been one of the four?

Two players have been good for Australia this tour - Clarke and Pattinson. Everyone else has been rubbish and now we've dropped one of those two for the most inane reason.

Andre

International Regular
The thing is though that the punishment should have fit the crime. Acting like an arsehole and publicly sacking four of your players from the next test for such a small thing screams of an overreaction. There should have been a warning, or the four of them should have been made to do an extra hour of compulsory fielding drills instead. The whole point of the coach is to help the team win, not piss all over his players.
You've missed the point. The good teams have good cultures and get even the little most annoying things done because no one is ever above the team.

I dare say that Arthur probably wouldn't even read the answers anyway - he just wanted to find out who was willing to do what was needed to create the best environment. 4 guys couldn't even do the most basic 3 line task. Didn't even had the discipline to do that. No wonder we are struggling.

stephen

You've missed the point. The good teams have good cultures and get even the little most annoying things done because no one is ever above the team.

I dare say that Arthur probably wouldn't even read the answers anyway - he just wanted to find out who was willing to do what was needed to create the best environment. 4 guys couldn't even do the most basic 3 line task. Didn't even had the discipline to do that. No wonder we are struggling.
There are plenty of other ways to set an example to a team. Ways that are less public and hurt the fans of the team less. Having been working for a South African owned company for the last two and a half years, this strikes me as a very South African solution to the problem. Find a scapegoat for the problems and make a public example of them. Except that such management techniques only make people fear the management, not respect them. It creates a culture of "ticking all the boxes" instead of performance.

Scaly piscine

When people cite the punishment as an over-reaction you have to think that this sort of attitude has been going on for a lot longer. You have to draw a line somewhere, Arthur has chosen a time when it doesn't really matter what the team is, because they'll probably get battered either way.

That aside though it is bloody hilarious.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I have been involved with teams that have done this exact task, and it can actually be very worthwhile. There is no excuses for the players actions and if they can't follow a simple instruction, they deserve to be banned. This is there job. If my boss tells me to do something, I do it, I don't give a **** what it is because he holds my fate in his hands.

Playing cricket for Australia is not a right. These ****s are treating it like it's nothing. Instead they should be bending over backwards to show they want to play for the team and be a part of it. By not doing it theyre saying they don't want to be a part of the team, it's much bigger than just not doing it, it's the apathetic attitude towards the whole thing. Take it serious or **** off.

Top_Cat

Yeah but according to him, Pattinson and Watson had planned to talk to him about it. Because he'd made the deadline Saturday, toobad/sosad. Obviously none of us are privy to all of the machinations and subtext but that alone seems a bit rigid.

Andre

International Regular
I have been involved with teams that have done this exact task, and it can actually be very worthwhile. There is no excuses for the players actions and if they can't follow a simple instruction, they deserve to be banned. This is there job. If my boss tells me to do something, I do it, I don't give a **** what it is because he holds my fate in his hands.

Playing cricket for Australia is not a right. These ****s are treating it like it's nothing. Instead they should be bending over backwards to show they want to play for the team and be a part of it. By not doing it theyre saying they don't want to be a part of the team, it's much bigger than just not doing it, it's the apathetic attitude towards the whole thing. Take it serious or **** off.
Spot on Benchy.

Spark

Global Moderator
@TC: Yeah but he'd given him a minor geological era to get it done. I mean, ****, surely it would've taken more than twenty minutes at the absolute maximum.

With benchy on this.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
tbh if Andrew Symonds were given a sheet asking him to write what needed to be improved he would've chucked it straight in the bin like he used to do with all of Buchanan's stats analysis print outs.

pup11

International Coach
Not buying what Arthur is selling here, there is definitely more to this then just these four players failing to submit their essay to the headmaster. I mean Clarke and Arthur since taking over have had a single minded determined approach towards making Australia the best side in the world, their methods at times have been inconsistent and have lacked transparency, but as people in charge of the side they certainly haven't just gone through the motions, unfortunately that's not something you can say about some players in the current national set up.

Johnson and Watson are two of the senior most guys in the team and no matter how silly the task might have seemed they should have put forward their views, if not in a written form then they could have at least had a verbal discussion with the coach, but by totally paying no attention to a subject which revolves around the team culture and personal ambitions these guys have sent out a pretty bad message in regards to their attitude and commitment towards Australian cricket.

It also should be considered that Arthur alone hasn't handed out this punishment because he doesn't have that sort of authority, that means people like Clarke and Rod Marsh are also none too happy with the attitudes of these players in question.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Not buying what Arthur is selling here, there is definitely more to this then just these four players failing to submit their essay to the headmaster..
I agree. An underlying serious of discipline being covered up would make much more sense than the reason being given now.

stephen

Not buying what Arthur is selling here, there is definitely more to this then just these four players failing to submit their essay to the headmaster. I mean Clarke and Arthur since taking over have had a single minded determined approach towards making Australia the best side in the world, their methods at times have been inconsistent and have lacked transparency, but as people in charge of the side they certainly haven't just gone through the motions, unfortunately that's not something you can say about some players in the current national set up.

Johnson and Watson are two of the senior most guys in the team and no matter how silly the task might have seemed they should have put forward their views, if not in a written form then they could have at least had a verbal discussion with the coach, but by totally paying no attention to a subject which revolves around the team culture and personal ambitions these guys have sent out a pretty bad message in regards to their attitude and commitment towards Australian cricket.

It also should be considered that Arthur alone hasn't handed out this punishment because he doesn't have that sort of authority, that means people like Clarke and Rod Marsh are also none too happy with the attitudes of these players in question.
That though is entirely different from what they are publicly saying. Why say that Watson and Johnson have great work ethics and sack them for not doing this then?

I don't tell my girlfriend that I'm not seeing her for two weeks because she forgot to send me a text message when she said she would.

This is a complete overreaction and should have been dealt with quietly behind closed doors.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
What sort of personal analysis was Johnson and Khawaja supposed to write about?

I'm only gutted for Khawaja. Watson leaving the team could be a blessing in disguise and Patto missing one match isn't horrible.

Cowan Warner Hughes Clarke Smith Wade/Haddin Henriques Siddle Starc Lyon Doherty.

Top_Cat

@TC: Yeah but he'd given him a minor geological era to get it done. I mean, ****, surely it would've taken more than twenty minutes at the absolute maximum.
That depends on why it's being asked. Do it and shut up to prove you're a good team member (if that's what happened)? Need more than that because that's not dialogue.

Honestly, I'm not on the players' sides at all. I do, however, think we're missing gigantic pieces of the picture. Maybe the players did give it a good old fashioned whinge and Arthur reacted by shutting them out. We've got no idea what was said in the immediate aftermath of the last loss and with Hughes' coach coming out and having a bitch too, wondering what's really going on.

Last edited: