• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Would the players have done the task if it was the Ashes?
I think some of them wouldn't but I don't know the answer. Maybe they would have.

But I think its inconsistent punishment. I am positive the players would not have been banned if this were the Ashes.

In any case, I don't mind your point of view in this thread. The task was given by their bosses. ****ing do it. But I think some serious fines could have done the job. Mainly because this punishment would not have been handed out in 5 months time.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I am trying to imagine what the Indian team would do if Fletcher asked them to do something of this sort.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is the most intense thing I have ever witnessed in cricket, including the Dale Steyn expression. As an Indian, I am extreeeeemely happy, laughing even, feeling the kind of joy you experience when a kindly teacher gives you the question paper a day before the test. So I am pretty sure this is one of the worst decisions ever. Ever. Let's try that again. EVER. From the long-term perspective, I am sure everybody in the Aussie squad is going to hire the services of outside consultants to make these presentations for them now. My advice to the players would be: Pick English consultants, preferably those working for McKinsey or BCG (since they already love watching test cricket and LOVE making presentations). Maybe Mickey is being paid off by those 'struggling-due-to-recession' consulting firms to make expand the market to sports.

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i tell you what, i reckon there'll be a few people in the set-up gagging for haddin to, if he plays, perform and take back the spot #newVC

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
If I was the coach and wanted to do the best for everyone i would have singled the 4 people who didn't do it and make them present their own case in front of the team and then get to batting, bowling and fielding practise and lots of it. I wonder if Clarke had a say?

Spark

Global Moderator
No it's not, it's begging for the 'if given a chance I'll value my selection so much that I won't let anyone else have it, I'll work harder than anyone else' response, then it's about proving that that's the case.

The team really misses blokes like Ponting. I know Clarke is said to have an unwavering work ethic, but it wouldn't hurt to have guys like Ponting around who work so ridiculously hard on their game and leaving no stone unturned. Instead you've got Usman Khawaja playing Call of Duty in his hotel room. I bet Ponting never wasted too many days off.
Mm agreed. The thing that aggravates me most is Watson because there seems to be something of a leadership vacuum around Clarke now that Ponting + Hussey (esp Ponting) is no longer there. Well, we always said we'd miss him more once he was gone...

Spark

Global Moderator
If I was the coach and wanted to do the best for everyone i would have singled the 4 people who didn't do it and make them present their own case in front of the team and then get to batting, bowling and fielding practise and lots of it. I wonder if Clarke had a say?
We know Clarke had a say.

Andre

International Regular
I think some of them wouldn't but I don't know the answer. Maybe they would have.

But I think its inconsistent punishment. I am positive the players would not have been banned if this were the Ashes.

In any case, I don't mind your point of view in this thread. The task was given by their bosses. ****ing do it. But I think some serious fines could have done the job. Mainly because this punishment would not have been handed out in 5 months time.
I get the monetary fine part, but realistically losing some cash won't hurt them. I reckon they wouldn't care at all. Hopefully not playing Test cricket will, and will see a reversal. It's about application, discipline and respect to your coach and teammates - I don't want to say that Pattinson hasn't shown application this series, he's a 22 year old kid so I can cope with him not doing it, it's a dumb mistake on his part. But Watson, vice captain, aged 30? Come on. No excuse there for me. He should be enforcing this sort of stuff, not being the one not doing it.