• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

Andre

International Regular
Yeah I agree and I said as much when a couple of blokes were trying to say he should play ahead of Lyon earlier in the thread.

But we've picked Doherty, who is O'Keefe without the batting and without the somewhat random ability to pick up key wickets in First Class cricket. You can definitely make the argument that O'Keefe might not necessarily be better than Doherty at a higher level of cricket, but there's some chance he will be and virtually no chance he'll be worse.
Would have to go with Doherty as the more skilled to be honest. Varies his flight better and gets a little more drift and drop, plus a fraction more turn. Temperamentally stronger too, less likely to be overawed. The lesser of 2 evils really.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
for me it's as simple as he didn't get picked over doherty 2 years ago so i don't see why he would have now. particularly considering under the new panel he's not getting randomT20 matches

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
In the team selection article Invers says Usman is a good chance for the first test. There also seems to be media thinking that Watson slots back into the team as a batsman. Watson at 4 and Usman at 6? I prefer that to the bits and pieces players? Yet why all the all rounders if they all start on the bench. Plans B, C and D.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I agree and I said as much when a couple of blokes were trying to say he should play ahead of Lyon earlier in the thread.

But we've picked Doherty, who is O'Keefe without the batting and without the somewhat random ability to pick up key wickets in First Class cricket. You can definitely make the argument that O'Keefe might not necessarily be better than Doherty at a higher level of cricket, but there's some chance he will be and virtually no chance he'll be worse.
Quality post, this.

Julian87

State Captain
Why are we over- complicating this? For anyone who's seen O'Keefe bowl it's not too hard to figure out why. He gets no shape, little revs and doesn't turn the ball.

There isn't any room for improvement with him - he's at his absolute maximum at shield level. His numbers are an aberration.
looks can be deceiving though

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
' He gets no shape, little revs and doesn't turn the ball.' is really more of a fact though. it's working for SOK obv (aside from last season's ****show...which of course would have served as a justification to the selectors) but then what Hastings does works for him.....

oldmancraigy

U19 12th Man
Why are we over- complicating this? For anyone who's seen O'Keefe bowl it's not too hard to figure out why. He gets no shape, little revs and doesn't turn the ball.

There isn't any room for improvement with him - he's at his absolute maximum at shield level. His numbers are an aberration.
They might be an aberration, but they are numbers (which have improved this season for what it's worth).

There is no other spin bowler in Australia who comes within 10 of his 'aberration'. And since it's been happening for 4 years now (against all the same blokes the other spinners can't get out) it was surely high time to throw him on the tour instead of Doherty...

I'll argue till the cows come home that he's also a better strike bowler than Lyon (and a better 'tight' bowler); if people want an aberration then it's Lyon vs NZ. 10 wickets @ 12, otherwise a career average of 38 and trending back towards 40.
Lyon will average 40 against India again, Doherty 140, and some muppets will say Lyon did well because look how badly Doherty did....

oldmancraigy

U19 12th Man
Would have to go with Doherty as the more skilled to be honest. Varies his flight better and gets a little more drift and drop, plus a fraction more turn. Temperamentally stronger too, less likely to be overawed. The lesser of 2 evils really.
Doherty is a very good middle over bowlers in 50 over cricket. But to suggest he's better than O'Keefe (or most other Aussie spinners) at anything is laughable.

oldmancraigy

U19 12th Man
' He gets no shape, little revs and doesn't turn the ball.' is really more of a fact though. it's working for SOK obv (aside from last season's ****show...which of course would have served as a justification to the selectors) but then what Hastings does works for him.....
And what McGrath did worked for him...
'Bowls 125 and not much swing or seam movement' But if it's always in the right areas and doing 'just enough' it makes it lethal!

[No, I did not compare SOK to McGrath in terms of ability, but rather making a point that what looks innocuous may not be so]

The only chance O'Keefe got against an international team, he nailed them...

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Prolly just me, but I think Maxwell plays spin quite decently, from what I've seen of him so far.

And AWTA @ pews re: D'oherty vs O'keefe. I don't rate O'Keef's bowling, but it's pretty much a no brainer that he has a much better case than Doherty, surely.

Spark

Global Moderator
And what McGrath did worked for him...
'Bowls 125 and not much swing or seam movement' But if it's always in the right areas and doing 'just enough' it makes it lethal!

[No, I did not compare SOK to McGrath in terms of ability, but rather making a point that what looks innocuous may not be so]

The only chance O'Keefe got against an international team, he nailed them...
Look, of all the McGrath comparisons I've seen over the years, this is one of the worst.

the big bambino

International Captain
McGrath btwn 125-135 iirc. Saw him bowl one that just took off and Lawry orgasmed in the comm box abt how fast it was. It was 126ks.

Re SOK. Yeah he looks like he bowls big fat pies but he deserves a spot over Dohers.

Spark

Global Moderator
The point is that there is absolutely no comparison between a deadly accurate beanpole quick who consistently got seam movement and a left arm orthodox with no special gifts at all.