• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
SOK and Bruce Martin should be drinking buddies. Both the only spinners in their country with a fair FC record yet have to put up with impossible amounts of mediocrity picked ahead of them.

Last edited:

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
On the other hand if Lyon/Doherty get murdered in India maybe SOK will get his chance after that and be the better for it. Much like Doherty/Beer benefitted from Hauritz being dropped after the last India tour

Still seems mysterious why SOK has never got a look in to a Test squad though. Even being a NSWer

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
:lol: what a chump

Talking about India's last Test series, which they lost to England 1-2 at home, Harbhajan said that India should stop blaming the pitches for the poor performances, and instead give credit to England for playing better cricket.

"We should not always blame the pitch for our bad performance. The England team played better cricket overall, they played our spinners better, their spinners bowled better than us," he stated.
The only part that is true. Not too sure about the comments on domestic strips as well.

Riggins

International Captain
stiff shoulder still better than doherz.

very concerned re: cowan vs lots of spin. At least with watson/maxwell/smith/other snuffie et al, once they get in, they bang spinners.

**** it, who cares about this tour.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
When people say India is dire do they mean in all facets of the game? I would still expect an average Indian batsman at home to profit vs any of the spinners in the party. Even though Lyon may be the only one to play.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Doherty? Henriques? Eww...

Surely there couldn't be a worse place for Henriques to try and make it as a test cricketer? On a tour to New Zealand I could see sense in him batting at 7 and being the 4th bowler. But surely his bowling will be about as unthreatening as it gets in India? And you need people who can bat a long time in India, and given Henriques has only ever got one FC ton....

He probably won't play any games, so the whole what I've said is probably meaningless, but if that is the case, what's he doing on tour?

oldmancraigy

U19 12th Man
On the other hand if Lyon/Doherty get murdered in India maybe SOK will get his chance after that and be the better for it. Much like Doherty/Beer benefitted from Hauritz being dropped after the last India tour

Still seems mysterious why SOK has never got a look in to a Test squad though. Even being a NSWer
Nah - SOK is goooone. He'll never get a gig now.

If Doherty/ Lyon get murdered, then Beer will be fit again.

SOK should have been picked years ago when he got that 4-fer against England right before the Ashes. The selectors noted that left arm spin caused problems for the English (in particular SOK's left arm spin in that game) and so they picked Doherty...

It's obviously a non-cricket related thing with O'Keefe. They hate him for some unknown reason, and he'll never play test cricket ever.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
He's from NSW and that causes irrational hatred in cricketing folks outside NSW. I just assume Invers is on that list. I was only half joking about Sok going interstate to get a cap.

morgieb

My guess is someone high up doesn't rate him, or perhaps on the Australia A tours he was seen as a negative influence. Which sounds like a load of crap but what can you do.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Think Henriques's bowling goes ok actually. Might struggle on this tour if he plays, but can see him performing a Watson-like role with the ball in the not too distant future.

oldmancraigy

U19 12th Man
My guess is someone high up doesn't rate him, or perhaps on the Australia A tours he was seen as a negative influence. Which sounds like a load of crap but what can you do.
Maybe he went around feeling up the other players?

I can see why that would be awkward on tour.

Andre

International Regular
Nah - SOK is goooone. He'll never get a gig now.

If Doherty/ Lyon get murdered, then Beer will be fit again.

SOK should have been picked years ago when he got that 4-fer against England right before the Ashes. The selectors noted that left arm spin caused problems for the English (in particular SOK's left arm spin in that game) and so they picked Doherty...

It's obviously a non-cricket related thing with O'Keefe. They hate him for some unknown reason, and he'll never play test cricket ever.
Why are we over- complicating this? For anyone who's seen O'Keefe bowl it's not too hard to figure out why. He gets no shape, little revs and doesn't turn the ball.

There isn't any room for improvement with him - he's at his absolute maximum at shield level. His numbers are an aberration.

Top_Cat

Andre making the rookie mistake of letting a player's ability muddy the selection waters.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Why are we over- complicating this? For anyone who's seen O'Keefe bowl it's not too hard to figure out why. He gets no shape, little revs and doesn't turn the ball.

There isn't any room for improvement with him - he's at his absolute maximum at shield level. His numbers are an aberration.
Yeah I agree and I said as much when a couple of blokes were trying to say he should play ahead of Lyon earlier in the thread.

But we've picked Doherty, who is O'Keefe without the batting and without the somewhat random ability to pick up key wickets in First Class cricket. You can definitely make the argument that O'Keefe might not necessarily be better than Doherty at a higher level of cricket, but there's some chance he will be and virtually no chance he'll be worse.