• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in South Africa

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
WIth Watling cementing himself as a wicketkeeper at 6, it makes it a lot easier to get Vettori back in the side.

1. Guptill
2. McCullum
3. Williamson
4. Taylor
5. Brownlie
6. Watling
7. Vettori
8. Bracewell
9. Southee
10. Henry/Gillespie/Wagner/Performing Quick
11. Boult

Oh yeah, Sinclair :wub:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
1. McCullum
2. Tastle
3. Williamson
4. Taylor
5. Sinclair
6. Brownlie
7. Watling
8. Bracewell
9. Southee
10. Milne
11. Boult

It's got everything we want!

• A genuine five man attack with four proper seamers and a frontline spinner
  • Batting down to #7
  • Guptill dropped
  • Williamson not moved from #3
  • Watling not moved from his middle order wicket keeping role
  • Sinclair playing

Conveniently ignoring the fact that Tastle averages about 20 as a First Class opening batsman across his career and has taken 1 wicket @ 170 or something in the Plunket Shield this season, this is a great side!

Last edited:

jcas0167

International Debutant
Haha! Would love to see Skippy thrust into the opener's spot in a desperate attempt to paper over the team's weaknesses. Would be an epic nostalgia trip.
For maximum nostalgia Vincent absolutely has to partner Skippy. Two men with something to prove.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Three seamers, Vettori and noone else that can bowl more than 2 overs in a day is just yuck. Even though Franklin's batting was completely laughable at least his overs meant we didn't bowl our seamers into the ground. Doubt Vettori would bowl more than 20 overs in a day these days either. Need a fourth seamer who is at least to the level of Munro or Ryder's bowling.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
1. McCullum
2. Tastle
3. Williamson
4. Taylor
5. Sinclair
6. Brownlie
7. Watling
8. Bracewell
9. Southee
10. Milne
11. Boult

• Batting down to #7
  • Guptill dropped
  • Sinclair playing

Conveniently ignoring the fact that Tastle averages about 20 as a First Class opening batsman across his career and has taken 1 wicket @ 170 or something in the Plunket Shield this season, this is a great side!
Problems:
  • Loses brownie (brownlie?) points for not a single left-handed batsman. Anderson, Finn and Broad to be happy with that.
  • Sinclair is playing

Blain

U19 Captain
A furious Brendan McCullum today let loose with a barrage of post match criticism, most of which was directed at his bowling unit’s inability to score runs.

“As a bowling unit we’re just not putting enough runs on the board.”

“Moving forward, we can’t rely on our top order batsmen for runs. That’s an outdated approach which we’ve been trying to phase out under Hess (Mike Hesson).”

“We see the main role of batsmen in this side as a sort of mascots, cheering the bowlers on and clapping from time to time.”

“This is what we’ve diverted our focus to in training, because our analysis showed that actually batting long periods of time in test matches is quite hard, and as a result we’ve decided we can’t really be bothered.”

“Aside from that, by the time we (batsmen) have hauled our gear bags to the game, there’s not a hell of a lot left in the tank for batting. We’re not machines…”

McCullum was at pains to point out the crucial role the bowlers played in posting competitive totals.

“I mean, who’s better suited to face a bowler than other bowlers? They know how each other think. If you asked me or any of the other batsmen in the side what a bowler was thinking or planning, we’d literally have no idea.”

Batting all rounder Chris Martin reinforced McCullum’s view: “For me, personally, I see my main role in the squad as an enforcer at number 11. Ideally I want to come in, dominate a bowling attack, and score a quick century or double century. If I can take a few wickets too, then that’s just a bonus.”

Coach Mike Hesson wasn’t available for comment, as he was disposed in a small South African village negotiating the purchase of a mysterious drink, which sources say he believes may be the elixir of life.

“Once Hess gets us that elixir, everything’s going to be fine.” A restless and sweaty McCullum added.

“We’re all going to be just fine…”

The New Zealander - McCullum: Bowlers Aren’t Doing Enough With The Bat

:D

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Problems:
  • Loses brownie (brownlie?) points for not a single left-handed batsman. Anderson, Finn and Broad to be happy with that.
  • Sinclair is playing
I can't believe you didn't actually list Todd Astle opening the batting as a problem. :p

Although I suppose if you're going to pick a Franklin-like bits and pieces passenger cricketer, he might as well occupy the roles you're really really struggling to find proper cricketers for. :ph34r:

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I'm using the well known NZ selection policy of 'couldn't do any worse than X' for Tastle replacing Guptill. It works I tells ya, though sometimes it later turns out that actually, they could do worse even though this was previously thought impossible. Perhaps Tastle could run McCullum out and drop a couple of catches but if he really excelled he might exceed that.

If we close our eyes and wish really hard in three or four years those bits and pieces will assemble themselves into the Taj Mahal. Just you wait!

How about

beach ball
deck chair
trombone
Ross Taylor
Dean Brownlie
BJ Watling
cardboard cutout of Dan Vettori
pre-Taj bits and pieces
Bracewell
Southee
Boult

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Brownlie and Watling lucky to make the side based on five minutes of performance, lots of pent up optimism and despite a stiff challenge from a pair of dustbins

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
1. McCullum
2. Tastle
3. Williamson
4. Taylor
5. Sinclair
6. Brownlie
7. Watling
8. Bracewell
9. Southee
10. Milne
11. Boult

• Batting down to #7
  • Guptill dropped
  • Sinclair playing

Todd Astle is not a frontline spinner.

McCullum
Flynn
Brownlie
Taylor
Williamson
Cachopa/Ryder
Watling
Bracewell
Southee
Bruce Martin
Trent Boult.

Puts Williamson in the position he should be - we're going to have to disagree with each other here as I don't see him as a number 3 bat.

Flynn is the makeshift opener - may as well try it as he's a flipped coin away from being dropped.

Cachopa, Ryder or really any performing domestic batsman gets a shot at 6, where most new batsmen should be.

The tail looks quite solid.

otagoman

School Boy/Girl Captain
Rutherford
Brodie
Bracewell
Young
Cachopa
Boam
de Boorder
Kuggeleign
Sodhi
Wheeler
Duffy

or

How
Redmond
Sinclair
Taylor
Ryder
Broom
Hopkins
Nethula
McKay
Arnel
Martin

I wonder how the current team would go against both of those teams

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
First team is a fair way worse than the current one.

I reckon the second could compete but it wouldn't win.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Rutherford
Brodie
Bracewell
Young
Cachopa
Boam
de Boorder
Kuggeleign
Sodhi
Wheeler
Duffy

or

How
Redmond
Sinclair
Taylor
Ryder
Broom
Hopkins
Nethula
McKay
Arnel
Martin

I wonder how the current team would go against both of those teams
The first team would get completely blown away. If Southee was playing, I doubt whether they'd make 100 in either innings. The 2nd team would do OK batting, but it would struggle to take 20 wickets with that bowling attack, unless the surface was fairly supportive.

otagoman

School Boy/Girl Captain
Sure, this team could be interesting

Watling
van Wyk
C. Cachopa
Munro
Elliott
C. Cachopa
de Boorder
Frauenstein
Badenhorst