• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** West Indies in England 2012

Jacknife

International Captain
Carberry averaged over 50 in each of the last three seasons but yeah there are not all that many, but I suppose that is not partiuclarly unusual for county cricket.
Yes I'd thought of him but I know he played only about half the season last year but still he's one of the top performers the last few years.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Cricinfo saying that Bopara has torn his quad

IMO you can't go into a test with a torn quad imo. Its very easy to tweak it further.

When i was watching Sky's coverage of the lack of rain at Hove yesterday Bumble went with Bairstow. Personally i would go with Taylor at this stage but its a toss up. I don't know how ever of them play spin, which obviously isn't too big a deal in the next test. But looking to the future which one is better?

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Also,

I think these Windies tests may finally see Jimmy's average go under 30. Just reward for how awesome he has been these last few years (and how **** he was when they were mucking with his action in his early career)

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Cricinfo saying that Bopara has torn his quad

IMO you can't go into a test with a torn quad imo. Its very easy to tweak it further.

When i was watching Sky's coverage of the lack of rain at Hove yesterday Bumble went with Bairstow. Personally i would go with Taylor at this stage but its a toss up. I don't know how ever of them play spin, which obviously isn't too big a deal in the next test. But looking to the future which one is better?
Taylor easily.

Still think Bell is better than either though.

Edit: Not against spin of course, Bell is pretty dire in that regard

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Also,

I think these Windies tests may finally see Jimmy's average go under 30. Just reward for how awesome he has been these last few years (and how **** he was when they were mucking with his action in his early career)
Jimmeh's average was well over 30 because he was soft as it was well known that if he was hit for a few 4s early doors then the head would drop and that would be all she wrote

NasserFan207

Jimmeh's average was well over 30 because he was soft as it was well known that if he was hit for a few 4s early doors then the head would drop and that would be all she wrote
What has that got to do with his post

Also, ton for Powell, not sure how I feel about that. Don't rate him as a batsmen and would rather have someone else there, good on him though I guess

Howe_zat

Audio File
Also, ton for Powell, not sure how I feel about that. Don't rate him as a batsmen and would rather have someone else there, good on him though I guess
Yes, quite. Clearly a bloke that shouldn't be near Tests, but if he's getting on with it and improving than we've no right to slag him off for it.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Bairstow for my money on the basis of better early season form but the ton from Taylor puts them on level.

Can we forget Bopara after this?

NasserFan207

Bairstow for my money on the basis of better early season form but the ton from Taylor puts them on level.

Can we forget Bopara after this?
Depends how his replacement performs

That batting position is wide open and will be until someone makes it his

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yes, quite. Clearly a bloke that shouldn't be near Tests, but if he's getting on with it and improving than we've no right to slag him off for it.
He looked quite classy when he batted in the middle order against India. It was a road tbf but he definitely looked a pretty decent player of spin. I know he's always opened and I can see why - I reckon he's played a lot of limited overs cricket coming through the ranks and given how boundary-reliant he is it'd make sense - but I think his future lies in the middle order if at all in Test cricket.

Last edited:

CWB304

U19 Cricketer
Whoever it is i hope they make a ton and we can forget about Bopara.
Bopara was a luxury England could afford when they looked like the best team around. Now it's clear that they're not, and that they moreover have a seriously dodgy batting order which is way too dependent on tailend runs, I would have thought the first thing the selectors would have done is to own up to their most glaring mistakes and draft in Bairstow and Taylor for Bell and Bopara.

But they won't. They're so flattered by the praise they receive for their "commitment to continuity" and "principled support for unpopular players" that they stubbornly cling to former mistakes like a gambler on a losing streak begging those he owes for a "doubles or quits" stake. And the structural problems with England's batting order go unsolved all the while.

If Anderson, Broad and Swann were on the other side the tourists would be favourites for the series win.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
The awkward moment when SSN mention that there is an injury worry for England ahead of the first test on Thursday, then mention that it's Bopara :ph34r:

Was worried it would be Cook for a moment.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Priorities are important. I have exams but I really want to watch Jimmy bowl live to West Indian openers.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Exams on Monay an Wednesday next week, Thursday off... ooo yeah.

The awkward moment when SSN mention that there is an injury worry for England ahead of the first test on Thursday, then mention that it's Bopara :ph34r:

Was worried it would be Cook for a moment.
:laugh: