• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in the West Indies 2012

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i'm torn between wanting to complain more about sammy bowling around the wicket, and knowing anymore complaints will lead to a sammy hat-trick

smash84

The Tiger King
Sorry but the "internet" doesn't tell the full story, I'M ON THE GROUND WATCHING THESE PLAYERS, that's why i believe i'm in a position to judge whether these kids would be good enough to replace the likes of Sammy, meanwhile you downplayed their chances in favor of Sammy purely by the stats you've read online,

What about Cummins? his four day record was garbage before he made his test debut, that's why stats isn't the only thing you can judge from,

Bernard and Richardson played more games than Holder, furthermore towards the latter stages of the competition they pretty much faced reserve sides due to most of the other teams losing players for international and IPL duty, i'll admit Tong was impressive, but he's already had his chance with WI and failed,

Just watch both of them bat and you'll see there's a huge difference in class, Russell's average should really be a lot higher but he hasn't been playing many four day games for Jamaica of late due to his international call ups, but there's no doubt he can play a long innings when he's in the mood, he got a ton vs Bangedash-A in December,

And what i'm saying is THAT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH, we need wickets, the "pressure" stuff is nothing but a fallacy these days, i can't recall many teams having a seamer who's only job is to create "pressure" 8-) , at the end of the day wickets win games, Rampaul gets them, Roach is now getting them again but the only one who is spoiling the party is Sammy, the great Marshall would be laughing right now seeing Sammy in this team,

The difference is the likes of Waugh were great captains, SAMMY ISN'T, so to justify his place in the team he needs to make an impact somewhere in the game, but lately all he's been doing is hiding from the bowling, making p/ss poor shots and dropping vital catches, no wonder you're defending the man!! :laugh: ,

The problem is the trend has continued and Deo bowled more overs than him AGAIN in the first innings of this second test!!.. even when the ball wasn't spinning that much, it's just pathetic and many WI fans believe he's trying to protect his average,

So where was this "pressure" when we let the Australian tail wag for over 100 runs in the first test? :unsure: where was this "pressure" when we let it wag again in this second test? the game is about results, his "pressure" obviously isn't working against the Aussies and to add insult to injury he's not taking wickets either, that's why many want rid of him now,

Erm.....

Gayle
Kirk Edwards (for this test)
Ramdin
Narine (whatever you think he is by far our best spinner and would be playing right now if the bloody IPL didn't get in the way)
Rampaul
Taylor
Samuels
Russell (he's played a test aswell)

Well firstly i'm talking about dropped him for the next series and beyond, but if he is dropped for the next test i would be celebrating no doubt, secondly the Gayle situation has been sorted out, so that's not a problem anymore, i just hope that this is Sammy's mans last test series and we start a new dawn when we go to England in may, Ramdin being the perfect choice, some results may have improved since he took over but the bottom line is we haven't beaten a top six side in a test series during his tenure, so what the hell have we got to lose by bringing in someone new? nothing,

Holder could very well be the next Ambrose, that's who he's being compared to, holding him back just so Sammy can lead us to nowhere is not the right thing to do imo, it's time to close this chapter and move on now, we've got nothing to lose, when our best team is on the field Sammy's deficiencies would be exposed even more i think.
A nice concise post :p

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I didn't say i owned the WI team :unsure:, but it is a little silly when people who don't even watch our domestic cricket claim Holder, Brathwaite and co's average are "the norm" and they wouldn't be able to replace Sammy!!, you've at least got to SEE the players in action first before making such judgements imo.
Why don't you get a job ffs, instead of bumming around the Caribbean watching all these kids play? Are you Richard Branson or something? Got a private jet to get you around all these grounds watching these kids play?

And why are you so interested in watching kids play anyway? Hmmmm?

WindieWeathers

International Regular
I did quantify the Bernard and Richardson statement by saying they took less wickets per match, but the point of that is pretty much irrelevant - I never said Holder's record was inferior, but that others had similar statistics (i.e. my argument that Holder is by no means far and away statistically better than everyone around him, a point you've seemed intent on supporting).
Well actually where stats are concerned i'm more focused on his overall record, and when you look at his four day stats his record ISN'T matched by many, that's what i was talking about,

Pressure is nothing but a fallacy? So you'd rather play a bowling attack of Roach, Edwards and Taylor - fast, dangerous, but leaking runs? Yet you completely ignore my point about pressure often helping the bowler down the other end take the wickets.
I said "his" i.e SAMMY'S "pressure" is nothing but a fallacy, please read what i said,

To use an Australian example again, we used to believe in the "Never play both Siddle and Johnson" rule, because, whilst having the ability to be individually brilliant in their own right, they wouldn't bowl sides out because there was always a bad ball coming - the pressure could always be relieved. Pressure is by no means a fallacy.
The likes of Rampaul has been quite ecomonical of late, plus he TAKES WICKETS, that's what i want from a bowler, not someone who can barely get three wickets in an innings these days!! 8-) ,

Look, spin has been successful in WI domestic cricket, and in the tests so far. I'm getting tired of repeating that using spinners on a spinners' track is not something to criticise Sammy for.
Barbados isn't a spinners deck which is why the likes of Lyon and Bishoo struggled so badly!! :blink: , and Deo is a PART-TIMER, we're not talking about Sammy under bowling himself to let Murali have more overs here.

Seamers who create pressure aren't in Test sides? There was this guy by the name of McGrath who did it very well indeed. Shaun Pollock, even Courtney Walsh were guys who relied upon accuracy and creating pressure. Marshall created pressure. Ambrose created pressure. It just so happens that wickets keep falling at the other end in Sammy's case (and admittedly he's not nearly as good as any of the names mentioned). Pressure is an integral part of bowling.
And yet again you've failed to read what i actually said :wacko: ...i said "not many seamers around TODAY who are just picked to create pressure".. that's just a fact, but somehow you think little old WI should be rejoicing at the prospect!!,

BTW, people are allowed to bat well, you know. Sometimes teams can absorb pressure and just bat well. Even Marshall, Ambrose, Walsh et al. had runs scored against them at times by lower order batsmen, I'm sure (cbf statsguru-ing, I'm hopeless with all the parameters).
It's happening too often now and it's costing us matches, same thing happened against Pakistan in the 2nd test when we allowed the tenth wicket to build a 90 run partnership, also happened against India at home, and now Australia, there's only so much one can take before you start to look for alternatives.