• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in the West Indies 2012

WindieWeathers

International Regular
So far Sammy has been a better Test bowler, batsman and fielder than Edwards. The West Indian Sammy haters are a ****ing pathetic bunch. Somehow people have this idea that being too **** to ever field in the slips or being too **** to bat at all makes you a prime target compared to someone who's just plain **** at those things. I'm sick of hearing from the whingers jumping on Sammy because he hits a daft shot or drops a catch - why don't you all just **** off back a few years when you got obliterated by all and sundry and bask in that past glory.

There will be a time, hopefully, when West Indies evolve beyond having Sammy in their side. But they're nowhere near that point yet. It's the same as when England had Hussain as captain. He was a pretty mediocre bat to put it mildly but he helped get England going in the right direction. It's utterly laughable the way nutjobs think Sammy is somehow keeping out world beaters - some of whom have ****ed off to the IPL and the rest are bowlers on some of the most consistently low scoring grounds I've seen in domestic cricket anywhere in the world.
Well it's easy to yap on when it's not YOUR team Sammy is playing for!!! 8-) , and to be honest who are you to tell us who we should and shouldn't like in our team? the fact that you think we're comparing him to Edwards just personifies your misguidedness, Rampaul will replace Edwards, that's who he's in competition with, Sammy's position is more for an alrounder, someone who can both bat and bowl, and right now he's keeping more talented players out of the side like Russell, Holder, Carlos Brathwaite etc just because he's the captain, nothing else,

If he was really producing the goods we wouldn't have a problem, but his poor tactics, dropped catches, poor batting and failure to take responsibility with the ball in tough times is costing us dearly, he's had two years as skipper and the fact that he wasn't even IN the team at the time he was named captain speaks volumes,

He claims he's the "workhorse" of the bowling unit and yet a part-timer like Deonarine has bowled more overs than him in the last two innings!! :blink: , it's pathetic,

In closing i'd suggest that if you are so annoyed with WI fans moaning about Sammy then maybe you'd be better off minding your own business and focusing on your own team in future.

Last edited:

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Ramdin was due to play in this series and had already been named vice captain but got injured (fractured finger) before it started which is why Baugh came back in!!!.... :blink: .
My understanding is that that injury occurred before the one day series began and was likely to rule him out for two weeks? Ramdin has played a first class game for Trinidad since then (and got a pair).

WindieWeathers

International Regular
My understanding is that that injury occurred before the one day series began and was likely to rule him out for two weeks? Ramdin has played a first class game for Trinidad since then (and got a pair).
He injured it playing for Trinidad, but kept on batting in games for them without keeping, then he went to the WI training camp and got hit on the hand again which ruled him out for about three weeks, he did come back for Trinidad in the semi-final against Barbados during the odi series but still he didn't keep wicket, so the selectors decided to give Baugh another chance, after his piss poor keeping in this test though it wouldn't surprise me to see him get replaced if Ramdin is 100% fit now.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
He injured it playing for Trinidad, but kept on batting in games for them without keeping, then he went to the WI training camp and got hit on the hand again which ruled him out for about three weeks, he did come back for Trinidad in the semi-final against Barbados during the odi series but still he didn't keep wicket, so the selectors decided to give Baugh another chance, after his piss poor keeping in this test though it wouldn't surprise me to see him get replaced if Ramdin is 100% fit now.
Will have to take your word for that.

Still think Sammy is the best choice as captain though. WI are just getting some potentially very good Test players (Edwards, Bravo etc) and burdening any of them with the captaincy now would be silly. Better to leave it to Sammy and let the better players focus on their own performance, thereby increasing the performance of the team as a whole.

Spark

Global Moderator
So far Sammy has been a better Test bowler, batsman and fielder than Edwards. The West Indian Sammy haters are a ****ing pathetic bunch. Somehow people have this idea that being too **** to ever field in the slips or being too **** to bat at all makes you a prime target compared to someone who's just plain **** at those things. I'm sick of hearing from the whingers jumping on Sammy because he hits a daft shot or drops a catch - why don't you all just **** off back a few years when you got obliterated by all and sundry and bask in that past glory.

There will be a time, hopefully, when West Indies evolve beyond having Sammy in their side. But they're nowhere near that point yet. It's the same as when England had Hussain as captain. He was a pretty mediocre bat to put it mildly but he helped get England going in the right direction. It's utterly laughable the way nutjobs think Sammy is somehow keeping out world beaters - some of whom have ****ed off to the IPL and the rest are bowlers on some of the most consistently low scoring grounds I've seen in domestic cricket anywhere in the world.
(y)

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Will have to take your word for that.

Still think Sammy is the best choice as captain though. WI are just getting some potentially very good Test players (Edwards, Bravo etc) and burdening any of them with the captaincy now would be silly. Better to leave it to Sammy and let the better players focus on their own performance, thereby increasing the performance of the team as a whole.
No-one is asking for Darren Bravo or Edwards to take over the captaincy, the most popular choice has been Ramdin, for a start he doesn't unbalance the side and he has more tactical nouse than Sammy imo!!, then we could give Sammy's position to one of the up and comers who have earned the right to get a chance at test level.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
No-one is asking for Darren Bravo or Edwards to take over the captaincy, the most popular choice has been Ramdin, for a start he doesn't unbalance the side and he has more tactical nouse than Sammy imo!!, then we could give Sammy's position to one of the up and comers who have earned the right to get a chance at test level.
By no-one you mean the supporters right? Wasn't suggesting the public see him as the next guy in line but obviously he's in the thinking of the selectors seeing as they named him vice captain before he got injured. I don't really have a problem with that as long as it's more for a learning experience rather than because they think he'll actually be doing it sometime soon.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Well it's easy to yap on when it's not YOUR team Sammy is playing for!!! 8-) , and to be honest who are you to tell us who we should and shouldn't like in our team? the fact that you think we're comparing him to Edwards just personifies your misguidedness, Rampaul will replace Edwards, that's who he's in competition with, Sammy's position is more for an alrounder, someone who can both bat and bowl, and right now he's keeping more talented players out of the side like Russell, Holder, Carlos Brathwaite etc just because he's the captain, nothing else,
All three of the replacements you've suggested, when combined, have played 43 first class games.

They have been playing on domestic pitches that seem to offer nothing for batsmen - I refuse to believe that the West Indies have 20+ bowlers good enough to hold an FC average around the 20 mark consistently. Case in point, Nikita Miller - nowhere near good enough to hold a bowling average of Barnes-esque proportions.

None of the men you suggest are exactly knocking the door down and forcing selection, their performances haven't been particularly far above anybody else in the WI domestic scene as of late. Why remove the ONE stable aspect of the side - a captain who, if nothing else, can unite a side and has improved it exponentially given the circumstances he has faced - for players who a) aren't necessarily going to be that good at International level and b) haven't been performing above and beyond everyone in domestic cricket.

For example, when Ponting was still captain and having a bad run, nobody in Australia was calling for him to be replaced by Chris Lynn, Nic Maddinson or Joe Burns.

If he was really producing the goods we wouldn't have a problem, but his poor tactics, dropped catches, poor batting and failure to take responsibility with the ball in tough times is costing us dearly, he's had two years as skipper and the fact that he wasn't even IN the team at the time he was named captain speaks volumes,
This coming mere weeks after he made that 80-odd in the ODI to dig the Windies out of a ******* deep hole. He's an attacking batsman, and can throw it away occasionally. Honestly, I don't think there would be a huge improvement in the batting if you bring anyone else in. Russell is also a 'belt the **** out of everything' player, which can work in ODIs but rarely equates to Test success in the lower order. Can't comment on Braithwaite or Holder though.

He claims he's the "workhorse" of the bowling unit and yet a part-timer like Deonarine has bowled more overs than him in the last two innings!! :blink: , it's pathetic
Wait, what? You're claiming that Sammy is s*** because he's bowling bowlers who are suited to the pitches? The wicket has been turning square for everyone FFS - spin, regardless of quality, is the way to go in this match. I mean, it speaks volumes that Michael Beer was selected, let alone being asked to open the bowling. Our spearhead only bowled 11 overs of utter tripe - at least when Sammy bowled he was putting pressure on. When Roach was taking wickets, and spin is doing the job at the other end, Sammy has no reason to bowl himself. Not because he's a horrible bowler with no place in the side, but because he was reading the game and Shillingford, Deonarine and Roach were the three bowlers that looked the most threatening. Dire, dire argument.

In closing i'd suggest that if you are so annoyed with WI fans moaning about Sammy then maybe you'd be better off minding your own business and focusing on your own team in future.
You and I both know CW isn't based on national boundaries. Stop treating it as such. We're all here for rational discussion of cricket. Nationality has never come in to it.

In closing, I don't think threatening the stability of the WI side AGAIN for what would be a marginal improvement in bowling performance is worth it in the slightest.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
yeah i don't think it's much of a loss for today, but still a bit funny given he was judged to have been more likely to survive the match than harris...

Starc43rdTest

WindieWeathers

International Regular
All three of the replacements you've suggested, when combined, have played 43 first class games.

They have been playing on domestic pitches that seem to offer nothing for batsmen - I refuse to believe that the West Indies have 20+ bowlers good enough to hold an FC average around the 20 mark consistently. Case in point, Nikita Miller - nowhere near good enough to hold a bowling average of Barnes-esque proportions.

None of the men you suggest are exactly knocking the door down and forcing selection, their performances haven't been particularly far above anybody else in the WI domestic scene as of late. Why remove the ONE stable aspect of the side - a captain who, if nothing else, can unite a side and has improved it exponentially given the circumstances he has faced - for players who a) aren't necessarily going to be that good at International level and b) haven't been performing above and beyond everyone in domestic cricket.

For example, when Ponting was still captain and having a bad run, nobody in Australia was calling for him to be replaced by Chris Lynn, Nic Maddinson or Joe Burns.
Excuse me how do you know about what players are doing in the caribbean? are you some expert on our domestic cricket now? 8-) let me explain it to you again...HOLDER WAS JUST THE BEST PACER of the last four day competition in the group stages, he got 23 wickets at an average of 18, he's also played for the A-team several times and has taken wickets, to suggest his record is the norm in the caribbean for a pacer is simply NOT TRUE, Sammy and Holder both played in the domestic competition and Holder was outperforming him,

Then we have Carlos Brathwaite, he was the best pacer in 2011 when he got 26 wickets on his debut season, he's also played for WI already in a t20 and one day game in Bangladash and spent a few years playing in Ireland, meanwhile Russell's record speaks for it's self and he's played several times for WI, and both Russell and Brathwaite have have performed outside of the caribbean so your second point isn't accurate, as for Miller, well he's a domestic bully like many are in the region, but just because there's bullys in the region it doesn't mean none of them can be good enough to make it at international level, Narine is a huge bully domestically but he's also bullying everyone else aswell,

This coming mere weeks after he made that 80-odd in the ODI to dig the Windies out of a ******* deep hole. He's an attacking batsman, and can throw it away occasionally. Honestly, I don't think there would be a huge improvement in the batting if you bring anyone else in. Russell is also a 'belt the **** out of everything' player, which can work in ODIs but rarely equates to Test success in the lower order. Can't comment on Braithwaite or Holder though.
Sammy is just a hit and hope type of guy and he fails more often than not, look how many games he's played for us and yet he only has one test 50 to his name? that's poor, Brathwaite is good enough to be a middle order batsman, he got a 81 not out vs England lions in 2011 and has 50s at A-team level aswell, while Holder has got four 40s in his last six games, one coming against Australia in the warm up game (49) ,

Wait, what? You're claiming that Sammy is s*** because he's bowling bowlers who are suited to the pitches? The wicket has been turning square for everyone FFS - spin, regardless of quality, is the way to go in this match. I mean, it speaks volumes that Michael Beer was selected, let alone being asked to open the bowling. Our spearhead only bowled 11 overs of utter tripe - at least when Sammy bowled he was putting pressure on. When Roach was taking wickets, and spin is doing the job at the other end, Sammy has no reason to bowl himself. Not because he's a horrible bowler with no place in the side, but because he was reading the game and Shillingford, Deonarine and Roach were the three bowlers that looked the most threatening. Dire, dire argument.
You're NOT a WI fan, so of course you're not seeing the bigger picture..:blink: , go look back at his recent performances in both the tests and the one day games and you'll see he's under bowling himself, it was HIM who said he was the "work horse for the bowling unit".. so why the feck doesn't he BOWL then and take some responsibility? the barbados pitch wasn't that spin friendly and yet Deo still bowled more overs than him in the second innings, furthermore a bowlers job is to GET WICKETS, he's got three in three innings!!.. BLOODY GREAT ISN'T IT? :laugh:

You and I both know CW isn't based on national boundaries. Stop treating it as such. We're all here for rational discussion of cricket. Nationality has never come in to it.
What on earth are you talking about? :unsure: i merely said if he's fed up of WI fans moaning about Sammy then he's welcome to focus on his own team instead of ours, i'd have thought that's the only logical thing to do.

In closing, I don't think threatening the stability of the WI side AGAIN for what would be a marginal improvement in bowling performance is worth it in the slightest.
"Stability"? :laugh: let me remind you that HALF OF OUR BEST PLAYERS ARE MISSING!!.. so there's nothing "stable" here, Sammy's become a liability with everything he does for this team and if we wish to move forward then he must be dropped imo, in closing i have to be honest and say i find it hilarious how some none WI fans think they know whats best for WI more than WI fans do!!!..oh man!!.. i think i'm gonna go and tell the India fans exactly what's wrong with their team now!!! :D .