• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Inzamam the best player of quicks after viv?

Straight Drive

School Boy/Girl Captain
lol

He was one on my fav Pakistani batsmen though. Loved watching him walk around with an open mouth oblivious to the intricacies of cricket. I remember him refusing to field anywhere but at the slips during the Aus V World XI match. Gold.

Debris

International 12th Man
I would say the best player of quicks I have seen (including Viv) is Allan Border. It seemed for so many years that he was all that was stopping the Windies barrage.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Robin Smith was brutal against the fastest men.
I don't think he was brutal against short bowling as De Silva or Inzy. WI and Aussie pacemen did bounce him a lot, and he played them beutifully by ducking, weawing and pulling some. But against above duo, even the quickest didn't dare to get it up their throats. Basically they intimidated fast bowlers not to bowl short. Viv did that too, but he intimidated fast bowlers not to bowl full as well.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Against genuine pace, Paul Collingwood was England’s finest in many a year. Remember the South African tour and he standing alone dead batting a rampant Steyn?

As for Inzy, he had all the time in the world against quicks in Multan but was positively pwned when playing in the Republic or Australia.

salman85

International Debutant
Not the best player of quicks after Viv.That would be Ponting.But still a pretty damn good one and not exactly the home base bully as is being suggested here.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yes, that's another error people commit while judging players against a particular type of bowlers.

Good pull shot players are often confused with good players of pace bowling (I know it's an essential quality of playing pace well, but not the only), just like they confuse good six-hitters with good players of spin.
Very much AWTA. One of the key assets of playing pace bowling is the ability to cope with swing and having assured footwork against full pitched bowling. I remember Michael Vaughn was a fabulous puller and hooker, but his footwork was often sloppy when the fast bowlers pitched it up, resulting in him being castled a few times by the likes of Lee and Steyn.

salman85

International Debutant
Inzamam wasn't even the best player of quicks in the sides he played in.
Ridiculous.

He was quite easily the best player of fast bowling in the Pakistan team.There are absolutely no two ways about it.You could claim that he was light years behind the likes of Ponting,but claiming that there were better players of fast bowling in the Pakistan side then Inzamam is absurd.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Inzamam wasnt as poor a player of quicks as his stats in Australia and SA suggest, but he certainly wasnt the best. That being said, for a player of his size, his foot movement was amazingly nimble and used to get into position really quickly

Sparkley

Banned
He is arguably the best player of pace bowling if only Indian, Sri Lankan and Bangladeshi ''quicks'' are considered. Otherwise not even close. Has scored most of his hundreds against the Asian sides in both formats. Has a deplorable record against the likes of Aus and SA. Doesn't even belong in the discussion.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He is arguably the best player of pace bowling if only Indian, Sri Lankan and Bangladeshi ''quicks'' are considered.
Yeah he basically just dominated sub-continent fast bowling.

And considering he never faced Pakistani, that is not a great list.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Agree with Jono and Sparkley. Inzmam being great against pace is a myth that Imran Khan has propagated who mind you is hardly an unbiased observer of the game.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'll accept Inzamam's status at the top of the fast bowling countering tree if everyone else can accept Imran's other equally valid claim that Mohammad Sami is the next Malcolm Marshall.