• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** Tendulkar criticism thread

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Mine was, you probably didn't get my point.

My whole point was that Tendulkar doesn't adjust his mode of play according to the situation in test matches as much as he does in ODIs - which I personally think he is quite capable of doing in test matches too.

I would 'personally' like him to change his game depending on whether we are playing to save or we are playing to win. When we are playing to save he should play in the Gavaskar-mode, and when we are playing to win he should play in the Lara-mode. Career SRs don't matter to me much, playing the right game at the right time does. I wouldn't be happier personally if his career SR moves from 55 to 65. Rather I shall be happier to see him play like Lara or Richards when we are in commanding position in the 3rd day of a test, and to see him play like Gavaskar when we are in a **** position in the 5th day of a test, for example. The key point being that I 'personally' think that he is one of the very very few batsmen to have ever come to be capable of that.
I hear you... But for me, his stupid thing about not batting anywhere but 4 and always field at first slip if I have to be in the slips are what bugs me... Just seems to have pretty childish fads like that as a cricketer..

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I think he was darned good at seizing the initiative once, obvious memories being his duels with Warne in the late 90s. The nearly knock vs Pak in Chennai, too.

Basically, he's done everything a batsman can possibly, practically be expected to do at least once in his career. It just feels ****ty to see him tarnish his legacy and have ****s like myself question his motives behind lingering on. Not that it matters a whit to his accomplishments.

Sparkley

Banned
agree with arachnodouche.He's tarnishing his legacy by stupidly playing on.The man who used to walk without so much as a grimace after a bad decision is now behaving like Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma after a legitimate dismissal.Even accounting for mitigating circumstances in that Lee incident, yesterday's was bad esp by his lofty standards.Frustration is getting to the little master.Father time has a funny way of letting sportsmen know that however great they might be, none can be greater than time.Also goes to show how hard a century is actually to get.

smash84

The Tiger King
what if Tendy immediately retired after his 100th 100.

Would probably get labeled as someone who always played for records and not for the team.

Satguru

Banned
I think he was darned good at seizing the initiative once, obvious memories being his duels with Warne in the late 90s. The nearly knock vs Pak in Chennai, too.

Basically, he's done everything a batsman can possibly, practically be expected to do at least once in his career. It just feels ****ty to see him tarnish his legacy and have ****s like myself question his motives behind lingering on. Not that it matters a whit to his accomplishments.
Honestly i dont get why people say that about cricketers who are apparently past their prime... its his passion, his job, he loves doing it, hes still good enough to do it well, so why in the world should he retire? People said the same thing about Ponting too, and because he scored for fun in this one series, and Tendulkar didnt, the focus has shifted to him. He'll retire when he wants to, not when the fans tell him to. If the selectors feel he should be dropped, then they should do it. "Fans" dont get to decide a cricketers career path

Think about it this way... you've been working in a company for 25 years,you still love your job, you still do it damn well, probably not quite as well as you did when you were at your peak mentally/physically... would you like it if random people who dont even work at your company start saying that you're "tarnishing" your legacy by continuing?
Legacies donot get tarnished by continuing to do what you love, rather theyre enhanced.
Sounded preachy i know, but just my thoughts

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Agree oh so much with satguru.

Basically, drop him or shut the **** up.

Sachin is sayin "come at me" to the selectors, and they wouldn't dare drop him. On top of that he's still been pretty good and only less than a couple of years ago he was the best batsman in the world.

nsniks

State Vice-Captain
honestly i dont get why people say that about cricketers who are apparently past their prime... Its his passion, his job, he loves doing it, hes still good enough to do it well, so why in the world should he retire? People said the same thing about ponting too, and because he scored for fun in this one series, and tendulkar didnt, the focus has shifted to him. He'll retire when he wants to, not when the fans tell him to. if the selectors feel he should be dropped, then they should do it. "fans" dont get to decide a cricketers career path

think about it this way... You've been working in a company for 25 years,you still love your job, you still do it damn well, probably not quite as well as you did when you were at your peak mentally/physically... Would you like it if random people who dont even work at your company start saying that you're "tarnishing" your legacy by continuing?
Legacies donot get tarnished by continuing to do what you love, rather theyre enhanced.
awta

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I think that's easier said than done with Sachin/India scenario. If the fans still backed him and supported him they'd riot if the selectors dropped him. Clearly their opinion on the man is relevant in some way here.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I think that's easier said than done with Sachin/India scenario. If the fans still backed him and supported him they'd riot if the selectors dropped him. Clearly their opinion on the man is relevant in some way here.
When was the last time we saw fans having a cry over a player getting dropped from the Indian test team? Truth is no player has ever been dropped from the test side in the last decade unless they really deserved it. Bit like the the England team before 2005. Don't think we are going to see a reaction from fans outside of the cricinfo comments section and some former players. All that said he is still easily one of India's top 5 batsmen atm and all talk is irrelevant unless he goes like this for a year or something.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, posters seriously need to make such lazy comments. There's going to be no rioting ffs.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
When was the last time we saw fans having a cry over a player getting dropped from the Indian test team? Truth is no player has ever been dropped from the test side in the last decade unless they really deserved it. Bit like the the England team before 2005. Don't think we are going to see a reaction from fans outside of the cricinfo comments section and some former players. All that said he is still easily one of India's top 5 batsmen atm and all talk is irrelevant unless he goes like this for a year or something.
Surely there would be a bit of consternation? I wouldn't expect riots or anything, but if Tendulkar was dropped surely there would be a fair bit of criticism?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Honestly i dont get why people say that about cricketers who are apparently past their prime... its his passion, his job, he loves doing it, hes still good enough to do it well, so why in the world should he retire? People said the same thing about Ponting too, and because he scored for fun in this one series, and Tendulkar didnt, the focus has shifted to him. He'll retire when he wants to, not when the fans tell him to. If the selectors feel he should be dropped, then they should do it. "Fans" dont get to decide a cricketers career path

Think about it this way... you've been working in a company for 25 years,you still love your job, you still do it damn well, probably not quite as well as you did when you were at your peak mentally/physically... would you like it if random people who dont even work at your company start saying that you're "tarnishing" your legacy by continuing?
100% this.

The only reason for Tendulkar to retire is when he personally decides "that'll do me." If Tendulkar isn't good enough to be in India's Test side then the responsibility is on the selectors, not Tendulkar, to remove him from the side.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Ganguly?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Anyone who thinks the selectors have to take the call of dropping Sachin... He could score 15 noughts in a row and they still won't drop him. And he knows it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That shouldn't mean Sachin should hence retire just because he's an icon in India and the selectors are afraid to dump him. He should retire when he thinks he doesn't enjoy the game anymore.

He faces enough external pressure when he's sucking balls anyway. And not just the media, but former Indian greats etc. saying he should give it up. I mean no innings where he has failed since Sachin has turned 37+ has not been scrutinised.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Surely there would be a bit of consternation? I wouldn't expect riots or anything, but if Tendulkar was dropped surely there would be a fair bit of criticism?
Dropping him now when he is one of India's best bats? Sure. But if he gets dropped after struggling to score for a while, everyone except a few dense ****s will understand the reason for the dropping and will see reason. But yeah, no matter when he is dropped a lot of people are going to feel a lot of dismay.