• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

is india the least 'sporting' nation in the world??

is india there a country worse than india at sport?

• Total voters

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
This may be true, but they have about 10x the scientists and mathematicians as us in the west. I don't think sport gets much credence in the Indian school system.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
This may be true, but they have about 10x the scientists and mathematicians as us in the west.
I think that you'd find that there isn't much difference, per capita. If anything, it should be higher in the west. It's practically a very unlikely proposition that a second/third world nation would have a greater proportion of science/math/medicine graduates than a first world nation.
I stand to be corrected, if that ain't the case.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I will attempt a serious reply

Having been to India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, etc a few times, I think it's fair to say that the vast majority of the population have something far more important on their mind than spending countless hours honing the skills required to be a successful international sportsman - it's called survival

As such, the potential talent pool, expressed as a percentage of the population, is far lower than developed nations like Australia, England, US, etc

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
having been to india, pakistan, bangladesh, etc a few times, i think it's fair to say that the vast majority of the population have something far more important on their mind than spending countless hours honing the skills required to be a successful international sportsman - it's called survival

+1

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Another argument against the Indians being "naturally" or even "genetically" unsuited to sport is the high representation rates of Indians (and I suppose you could add Pakistanis) in the high levels of cricket in nations to which they have immigrated. With an even playing field regarding wealth and survival pressures they seem to do pretty well.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What percentage of the Indian population is not living in relative poverty ftr?
Just looked it up. 26%.

Meaning 74% of Indians aren't living in poverty. That number in terms of people is far greater than the entire population of most countries which have been successful in the sporting arena, which makes me suggest that poverty and survival is not the issue, it's more likely a cultural belief system and more of a focus on endeavours other than sporting.

I'd imagine the infrastructure put in place to foster sporting talent wouldn't be as developed as alot of the world also.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I will attempt a serious reply

Having been to India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, etc a few times, I think it's fair to say that the vast majority of the population have something far more important on their mind than spending countless hours honing the skills required to be a successful international sportsman - it's called survival

As such, the potential talent pool, expressed as a percentage of the population, is far lower than developed nations like Australia, England, US, etc
That's probably part of it, but I doubt it's the full story. One could equally say the same thing of any number of developing nations (like Brazil and Kenya, for instance) and they seem to at least punch their weight in their favoured sports.

I don't know the exact figures, but if even 10% of the Indian population live in conditions broadly similar to developed nations they have a larger potential talent base to chose from than any other test country.

benchmark00

That's probably part of it, but I doubt it's the full story. One could equally say the same thing of any number of developing nations (like Brazil and Kenya, for instance) and they seem to at least punch their weight in their favoured sports.

I don't know the exact figures, but if even 10% of the Indian population live in conditions broadly similar to developed nations they have a larger potential talent base to chose from than any other test country.
Beaten

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
What percentage of the Indian population is not living in relative poverty ftr?
Its not just those living in poverty. Even if you are relatively well off..have a decent job, have a home..the standard of living is still so poor, with corruption, red tape, pollution, traffic, power shortage..that the struggle for day to day living extracts all energy from you.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Just looked it up. 26%.

Meaning 74% of Indians aren't living in poverty. That number in terms of people is far greater than the entire population of most countries which have been successful in the sporting arena, which makes me suggest that poverty and survival is not the issue, it's more likely a cultural belief system and more of a focus on endeavours other than sporting.

I'd imagine the infrastructure put in place to foster sporting talent wouldn't be as developed as alot of the world also.
I would question how credible those figures are..not questioning you but governments tend to play down that bit..its actually far worse.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Even if you are from the 10 % of the richest in India..you still face the same conditions when you get out of your mansion.. You might drive a Merc but you are still stuck in traffic for two hours..its just you are stuck inside a Merc that's all.

DingDong

State Captain
I would question how credible those figures are..not questioning you but governments tend to play down that bit..its actually far worse.

yes plus i'd think not below the poverty line =/= wealthy

indian economic growth should have a positive effect on sports in india very soon

serious question - why don't india look to import players from pakistan or something like england do with sa?

benchmark00

indian economic growth should have a positive effect on sports in india very soon

serious question - why don't india look to import players from pakistan or something like england do with sa?
lol at you thinking you have to be wealthy to play sport.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year

Don't think. Firstly I do not think the so called 'economic growth' is sustainable..secondly I don't buy this "India shining" bull****..thirdly because of limited resources and over population, it just increases cut throat competition with more and more people wanting the next banking or IT job.

Are you serious?? :laugh::laugh: England-South Africa is not the same as India-Pakistan.
Pakistani players don't even play in IPL....

Wishful thinking is all I can say..
But honestly I wouldn't mind that...some fast bowlers in Pakistan would get opportunities and Pakistan could do with a few Kohlis and Sharmas.

DingDong

State Captain
Are you serious?? :laugh::laugh: England-South Africa is not the same as India-Pakistan.
Pakistani players don't even play in IPL....

Wishful thinking is all I can say..
But honestly I wouldn't mind that...some fast bowlers in Pakistan would get opportunities and Pakistan could do with a few Kohlis and Sharmas.
very serious sorry shouldn't have singled out england but all developed countries do it

aussie for example has less stringent rules for athletes to become citizens here i'm sure it's the same in nz as well.

Daemon

I think it's mainly a cultural issue, with a mixture of poor infrastructure, lack of incentives and corruption. My cousin plays for the Gujarat handball team and he tells me about people buying their way in, overage guys faking their way into the younger age groups, lack of professionalism, a lack of proper training facilities and barely 10 games a year. If your sports at a grassroots level aren't taken care of properly, then you're going to reap sfa in the future.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
lol at you thinking you have to be wealthy to play sport.
No you don't have to be wealthy to play sport but its hard to focus on anything else when you are wondering where the next meal is going to come from and when your shanty on the road side is going to be removed by the authorities.