• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shahid Afridi un-retires from internationals again

Fusion

Global Moderator
But didn't he have a problem with the management? He gave that as an excuse for his retirement after being dropped despite doing so well. Now that the management has somewhat changed and Butt is gone, it makes sense for him to come out of his 'retirement'.

People being a bit harsh on him imo.
That’s true. He fully deserves the Afretard label, but in this case, I think he’s getting undue criticism. He had a problem with Waqar and Butt, so he “retired”. He even made it clear he was only stating that he won’t play as long as the management structure of the PCB remains the same. Since both Waqar and Butt are now gone, it makes sense for him to un-retire.

salman85

International Debutant
what is the general feeling in pak about afridi and his antics? are people fed up? do they think that he should be playing?
No one is fed up.There were even rallies against that idiot Ijaz Butt when Afridi was sacked as captain.His retirement was conditional,and he said it from the first go.The day Ijaz Butt was removed Afridi would came back,this was understood.

Afridi coming back to the limited overs format is very good news for Pakistan.Hopefully he is made the captain again and things can resume in the positive direction again.Not to say that Misbah's leadership has been poor,but the man is so dull and unimaginative on the pitch.

Last edited:

slowfinger

International Debutant
As much as I love Afridi, the fact that you 'retire' and 'come back' doesn't make sense. But tbf, if you take Afridi seriously then you need a LOOOOOONG break :D

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
That’s true. He fully deserves the Afretard label, but in this case, I think he’s getting undue criticism. He had a problem with Waqar and Butt, so he “retired”. He even made it clear he was only stating that he won’t play as long as the management structure of the PCB remains the same. Since both Waqar and Butt are now gone, it makes sense for him to un-retire.
If all you want to do is be out of cricket for a specific time frame, it really shouldn't be called retirement, IMO...

Maybe, "he was on a break". :p
He deserves the Afretard label here as well. Needs to get a dictionary and look up the word retire. Pakistani players seriously need to start using 'temporary break' instead of retirement.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
ppl ppl...its was a conditional retirement. The dude is a Pathan...he didn't want to play under the likes of Ijaz Butt...simple as that he is back, and he very well deserves his position and captaincy back....

ganeshran

International Debutant
I dont think Afridi wll be selected for the ODI squad right away. They will probably wait for one bad series after which he might be back in the squad and captain too.

salman85

International Debutant
Afridi will most probably be back as captain for the England series.And there's a very strong chance that he would get selected for the ODI squad against Srilanka,albeit not as captain.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Afridi is a good ODI bowler so I will be happy to see him back in the team but Misbah has been doing a decent job as captain.

salman85

International Debutant
Misbah's future as ODI captain was under the scanner even before Afridi's comeback.Shoaib Malik was apparently the number one candidate to take over the ODI captaincy,in order to build for the next World Cup since Misbah won't be around till 2015.But now that Afridi is back,there really should not be any question on who should get the ODI captaincy.It's Afridi's for the taking.

Misbah will probably continue as Test Captain right now.Once he steps aside,i think the job will go to Hafeez.The man has earned it.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
reports say his hong kong sixes performances were vital to him forcing his way back into the side

Spikey

Honestly, if it ever turns out he was one of the fixing gang I'll be totally crushed, far more than Amir and Asif.

smash84

The Tiger King
reports say his hong kong sixes performances were vital to him forcing his way back into the side
this all ends with him getting the test C again
Still don't understand why I like this man.
Yeah, agreed.
Same here
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

flibbertyjibber

Honestly, if it ever turns out he was one of the fixing gang I'll be totally crushed, far more than Amir and Asif.
I hate him for things he has done in the past but he does seem as though he is just an idiot as opposed to a cheating crook like the others. I too would be gutted if it ended up he was involved. You get the feeling though that his constant retirements are something to do with not wanting to be involved in all the match rigging, I hope this is true.

He was brilliant in the English T20 competition this year. He is one of the few characters left in the game and for that we should appreciate him for what he is.