• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Combined XI

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
First Test XI

Munkud
Strauss*
Dravid
Trott
Pietersen
Raina
Prior+
Broad
Swann
Tremlett
Anderson

Chose Strauss ahead of Gambhir so he could be captain as Dhoni certainly wasn't getting in as a batsman, keeper or skipper, bowling was his best chance. Strauss and Gambhir had similar matches as batsmen IIRC, Gambhir might have scored a couple more.

Rest of the side picks itself really, although I did see some claims that Sharma was better than Tremlett. Um, I could take wickets under last Thursday's skies but Sharma couldn't. No thanks.

Can't see anyone taking issue with any of the rest tbh.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Maybe could drop Swann and go with 4 seamers if it is possible to overlook balance.
The thing is England wouldn't have won without the overs and control Swann gave them, he didn't take wickets as the pitch gave him nothing but he gave his team control which Harby didn't.

PK for Tremmers for me.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Ah, honest mistake. Forgot about Praveen. Completely agree that he should be in there.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
The thing is England wouldn't have won without the overs and control Swann gave them, he didn't take wickets as the pitch gave him nothing but he gave his team control which Harby didn't.
I can see where you are coming from, but India needed Harbhajan to take wickets more than England needed Swann to. Harbhajan i thought was very dissapointing in this regard.

In any case PK bowled more overs comfortably than either of the 2 in the match and as you said pitch offered not much assistance to the spinners. Can go either way.

Last edited:

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Meh, not a competition of who can bowl the most overs. Not that I'm saying Praveen doesn't deserve to be picked.
He does. Just for bowling better than the others.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member

Was getting at not needing the spinner to play the containing role or fill in overs on a pitch with no assistance.
In any case if Swann is dropped Tremlett/Ishant gets in(Tremlett for me),not Praveen who gets in anycase.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
:yawn:Wow! Didn't know one test match let alone even one series could provide so many clear cut answers:yawn:.

Seriously,Try Harder from next time,if you are going to bump my posts accross threads that prove nothing.
I contained all conditions on average (including captaincy) for a reason there.
Never expected Dhoni to do better than Prior in England,though It's very close in any case as i have said in various other threads between the 3 of Haddin,Dhoni and Prior.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Series so far

Strauss
Dravid
Trott
Pietersen
Bell
Morgan/Raina/Yuvraj
Prior
Bresnan
Broad
Swann
Anderson

Probably a glaring ommission somewhere but I think that accurately sums up the series so far. Considered Tendulkar for #6 but decided against it.

Uppercut

I'd go:

Strauss
Dravid
Laxman
KP
Bell
Raina
Prior
Bresnan
Broad
Kumar
Anderson

Raina's one half-decent knock was much better than Yuvraj or Morgan's one half-decent knock imo. Giving Laxman the nod over Trott because he's scored more runs against much better bowling. When none of the spinners average under 100 it's surely okay to go with an all-pace attack. Praveen's been bowling a ton of overs anyway.

flibbertyjibber

I'd go:

Strauss
Dravid
Laxman
KP
Bell
Raina
Prior
Bresnan
Broad
Kumar
Anderson

Raina's one half-decent knock was much better than Yuvraj or Morgan's one half-decent knock imo. Giving Laxman the nod over Trott because he's scored more runs against much better bowling. When none of the spinners average under 100 it's surely okay to go with an all-pace attack. Praveen's been bowling a ton of overs anyway.

You could have Trott at 3 with Laxman at 6 leaving out Raina. Would make it a far stronger side and Trott has an excuse for a poor 2nd innings at TB unlike Raina or Yuvraj.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Fair calls, both

Picked Swann on a 'must pick a spinner' basis, but no doubt Kumar is worthy.

Uppercut

You could have Trott at 3 with Laxman at 6 leaving out Raina. Would make it a far stronger side and Trott has an excuse for a poor 2nd innings at TB unlike Raina or Yuvraj.
Mmm there's almost nothing to choose between Raina and Trott's performances so far. I think I'd actually give it to Raina. Seems forever ago now after the state of his performance at Trent Bridge but his knock in the second innings at Lord's was really quite brilliant.