• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Group B General Discussion

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Looks like Bangladesh will win this one. A lot of Group B's fate depends on the Engaland-West Indies match now. The loser in that match might make way for Bangladesh. Tommorrow's match between India-South Africa will decide the group topper.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Damn it. What are the possible scenarios now? It's difficult to keep track of Group B. All teams except the Dutch in with a chance of qualifying (and also of not qualifying, I am guessing?)

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
So I figure this out. If England don't win the next game against WI, they will have to hope that Netherlands win both their games, which is all but impossible. So England is facing a serious threat of elimination!

Howe_zat

Audio File
Right, so, tables.

1) India are through, Netherlands are out.

2) West Indies are almost certainly through - even if they lose to England and India - as they can only go out on NRR, and that is currently exceptional.

3) England are through if they beat the Windies, but if they lose they will likely go out to Bangladesh or possibly Ireland. If they lose, they will be relying on the Netherlands to see them through.

4) South Africa, if they lose to India, could be in serious danger as their match against Bangladesh will become effectively knockout. They'd also have the Irish to negotiate.

5) Ireland themselves are out unless they can beat South Africa and see off the Dutch. Even then they will need England to lose.

6) Bangladesh will need to beat the Netherlands, and then they will go through if either they beat SA or England lose to the West Indies.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
There is a chance that India doesn't qualify. If Bang defeat SA and Neth, SA defeat Ind and Ire, Eng defeat WI, WI defeat Ind, then Bang, SA and WI will be at 8 points each while Eng and Ind will be tied on 7. And India can be eliminated on NRR!

jeevan

International 12th Man
There is a chance that India doesn't qualify. If Bang defeat SA and Neth, SA defeat Ind and Ire, Eng defeat WI, WI defeat Ind, then Bang, SA and WI will be at 8 points each while Eng and Ind will be tied on 7. And India can be eliminated on NRR!
Not quite, in that case Eng go to 7 points, same as India is today. Then NRR comes into play, India is +0.992 after four games and Eng +0.013 after five. The Eng wins and Ind losses will need to be dramatic for the next 3 games to offset the previous 8 involving these 2 teams. The NRR gap is the equivalent of 200 odd runs...

Last edited:

salman85

International Debutant
Just to gather some public opnion,which teams from Group B do you want to go through to the QF?

I'll start it off : In no particular order..India,SouthAfrica,West Indies,Bangladesh.

Last edited:

shivfan

Banned
Well said, it really frustrates me that no matter what the West Indies do they always get underestimated, a lot of people were saying it would not even be an upset if they lost to Bangladesh and they bundled them out for their lowest ever score 58 as you say, they are a dangerous team who can beat anyone on their day.
As a WI fan, I don't mind, because the Windies seem to play better when teams under-rate them....
:cool:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Right, so, tables.

1) India are through, Netherlands are out.

2) West Indies are almost certainly through - even if they lose to England and India - as they can only go out on NRR, and that is currently exceptional.

3) England are through if they beat the Windies, but if they lose they will likely go out to Bangladesh or possibly Ireland. If they lose, they will be relying on the Netherlands to see them through.

4) South Africa, if they lose to India, could be in serious danger as their match against Bangladesh will become effectively knockout. They'd also have the Irish to negotiate.

5) Ireland themselves are out unless they can beat South Africa and see off the Dutch. Even then they will need England to lose.

6) Bangladesh will need to beat the Netherlands, and then they will go through if either they beat SA or England lose to the West Indies.
Is that right? If India, England and Bangladesh all win their remaining games and SA lose to the Banglas and beat the Irish I make them out on 6 points.

India 9
SA 8
Bangladesh 8
England 7
Windies 6

Howe_zat

Audio File
Is that right? If India, England and Bangladesh all win their remaining games and SA lose to the Banglas and beat the Irish I make them out on 6 points.

India 9
SA 8
Bangladesh 8
England 7
Windies 6
Ah, yes, re-reading that I didn't take England's point from the tie into account properly. Probably best to ignore me for now. I'll have another go in a few matches..

Teja.

Global Moderator
I'm on the brink of cheering for SA for the WC tbh. I've never been that emotionally connected with the Indian ODI side(unlike my love for the test side) and watching SA bowl is an absolute treat plus I have money on South Africa and some of the Indian players seem to have a **** attitude re the WC.

Will probably change if Sreesanth plays, mind. :ph34r:

Just want to watch the best cricket possible really and with India it seems to be a case of incredibly disproportionate ability between bat and ball which leads to the game panning out to be Get hit for a million runs and score a million runs. I reckon I'd enjoy a final between anyone among SA/Pak/Oz more than one involving India. There I said it.